My rig (?) ;-O

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

My rig (?) ;-O

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello all. :-)!

This thread was originally started in "Introduce Yourself". I am moving it here because it will (obviously!) be about my rig.

I would like to add photos to show my progress of creating my camper as I go along but I can't seem to add more than one photo per post. Is there a way to get around this? Your input is appreciated!! :-)

Sharon wrote:

Welcome welcome! We don't give a rats butt what kind of a rig you have as long as we like your dogs! Just kidding...about the dogs...we really DON'T care what you have or don't have, we're just happy when someone is out there following their dream, and it sounds like that's what you're doing.

LOL!! Thanks, Sharon. Hope you like my dogs - I have Staffordshire Bull Terriers. I know, I know the rep - but I have had this breed for some 30 (yes, thirty!) years, and the are the dog for me. Does anyone else have a bully breed that they travel with?

Avalen:

Thanks for the good suggestions! Sounds much like what I am planning. I don't much do "fast food" and don't much care for restaurant food, so I am planning a "pull-out" kitchen out the double-doors in the back, kind of a modified tear-drop trailer set-up. When on the road, the kitchen will be under the bed. I'm hoping not being able to fully stand up won't be too much of a problem - I thought about this a lot (wind drag = lower gas mileage vs. stand-up room), realized the main time to stand up would be in food preparation, the rest will be sit-down or sleep time. So I decided not to add a high-top.

BirdyBird:

Welcome to the forum. And congratulations for figuring out how you can get out on the road within your budget...a rack on the back for a portable generator and gas containers might be useful if you like boondocking when electric is not available..

Thanks, Birdy! The van thing puts it within "doable", so I'm going for it. I'm still kind of torn whether or not to have a rack on the back. . . I am thinking of going with deep-cycle batteries and a solar panel array on the roof. Gas container, definitely. But still trying to decide where to put it. Many of the federal campgrounds (and Walmart!) I hope to camp at will not have hookups, and might not want the noise of a generator running - but I am still thinking about both. I will have a roof-rack, have located a black potable water tank that I will mount there. Why black you may ask? All day driving in the sun I will have hot water when I get to where I am going.

WickedLady:

Hi, I am located in Northern California, near Sacramento. Wow! You camped in a 2500 Savana? I need to take notes from you! Mine is a 1500 Savana. I have my 12-volt cooler (convertible to electric), and two 5-gallon Coleman water containers (I am buying stuff as I am able). Will be getting a 12-volt solar rechargeable lantern. I debated about a porta potty for a long time, but I am an old broad so I'm gonna go with it. Don't want to spring a leak in the middle of the night! Heavy-duty extension cord, check. Thanks for the info!!

Retiredhappy:

Wow! Didn't know there are small portable AC units available. Must look into this. I absolutely wilt in the heat.

Liz:

Making it to a gtg later this year is at the top of my list!! Are any of these held on the left coast? (smile)

Nasoosie:

I am looking forward to your van-camper building, as some of my most favorite trips across this country in the old days were in vans of various sorts. I now have a travel trailer, and am thinking how much easier it would be to have just a driveable rig with nothing in tow.

I started out thinking of a tear-drop trailer (too small, at least for me - I am a bit claustrophobic). Then considered a cab-over camper (too top-heavy in the wind, at least for me, and would have to have a truck to put it on) then a trailer (but would have to buy a vehicle to pull it with, plus I find pulling trailers a bit scary).

Finally decided that a van was the best option, one of the main reasons being that if there was ever an issue in the middle of the night (or at any other time for that matter) I wouldn't have to exit the cab-over or trailer to get to the vehicle, all I would need do is get out of bed, get in the driver's seat, and drive.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

ThreeDogs
Cudedog

Re: My rig (?) ;-O

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Starting with a "bare bones" cargo van. . .
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Taking a deep breath: ready, get set. . . GO!!
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Making things up as I go along. . .
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm

That's the idea!
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi!

Most everyone uses a photo hosting service like Photobucket. We prefer that you use a method like that because using the Forum to host the pictures eats up the Forum's bandwidth.

If you're unfamiliar with Photobucket, there are pretty detailed instructions here on the Forum, and just ask - there are lots of ladies to walk you through it.

I know we're looking forward to watching your progress.

mitch5252

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 pm

mitch5252 wrote:Hi!

Most everyone uses a photo hosting service like Photobucket. We prefer that you use a method like that because using the Forum to host the pictures eats up the Forum's bandwidth.

If you're unfamiliar with Photobucket, there are pretty detailed instructions here on the Forum, and just ask - there are lots of ladies to walk you through it.

I know we're looking forward to watching your progress.

Thanks, Mitch5252.

I use Adobe Photoshop to make the file sizes really small - if they are still too large, please let me know.

I will look into PhotoBucket.

Thank you.

ThreeDogs
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Oops!

Got it!

Will look into using PhotoBucket.

Thanks.

ThreeDogs
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 pm

You're going to have problems camping at some RV parks with your dogs. I happen to like them and if they're raised right, they're sweet dogs BUT most campgrounds have rules that don't allow them or Rotties, German Shepards and Dobies. Unfortunately its because a lot of big dog owners don't have control over them especially if some small, yappy dog charges the bigger dogs. I workamped for several different KOA's and they would kick you out if you had any of those breeds and they found out AFTER you had checked in.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby WickedLady » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Portable air conditioners are not small. I got the smallest one I could find and it is still fairly large: Koldfront, model PAC701W, 650 watt, 17 13/16" X 26 1/4" X13 5/16" and weighs 48.5 lbs. It has to be vented out a window. It cools my little trailer OK.
You might get away with a portable evaporative swamp cooler which is a bit smaller and a lot lighter. Not as effective as an air conditioner but gets the job done as long as it is not 100* out.
You might also look into a small wall mounted AC that is designed for RVs. Laura has one in her new trailer.
WickedLady

Postby WickedLady » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Re gtg on left coast: A few of us will be getting together on the Oregon coast in May and a bunch of us will be doing a gtg about Sept. probably not far from Salem, OR. Check out the GTG posts.
WickedLady

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:29 am

This is exciting! I'll watch eagerly -- and learn a lot. :D
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Colliemom » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:11 pm

This type of thing is on my agenda too. How are you fastening the insulation to the sides?
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby JoanE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I am always amazed at the resourcefulness of the gals on this forum.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Lopo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Cudedog, are you still working on your van? I'm very interested in how you do this. I'm in Florida, and I found a guy in North Carolina who builds out much smaller vans than yours; I considered taking my Astro to him. If you're interested in checking out his site for ideas, I'll see if I can find it again. I'm an active member of the Vintage Shasta Trailer Forum which has a great group of vintage trailer addicts and we've got threads on everything since the vintage trailers pretty much have to be rebuilt. I'm working on my 1964 Frolic now, as well as finishing up a bit of restoring of 1995 class C I bought last summer and am finally going to get on the road yet this month.

Please keep posting your progress! I can't wait to see how it all comes together. My Frolic has no DC power, and I want to add it so I'll be watching for ideas from you.
Lopo

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs