Surprise!

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Surprise!

Postby Travelinana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 am

Laura, have you pulled a trailer before? If not, I think that makes 3 of us in the learning stages. We'll have to keep each other informed on progress.
Nancy & Rudy Image
Finding wealth in what you are and not what you have. Living with less is living well indeed.
~Gigi Galluzzo
Travelinana

Postby Redwahine » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Congratulations!! How exciting.
Redwahine

Postby Christine » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Congrats! You will really enjoy the Swift! I have looked at them too.. its maybe in my future when i get rid of the 5er i can get a Swift.. i do like them...
Christine

Postby cpatinjones » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 pm

She is a beauty. Congrats!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Cougarfan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:26 am

Travelinana wrote:Laura, have you pulled a trailer before? If not, I think that makes 3 of us in the learning stages. We'll have to keep each other informed on progress.

I have had a 24' tt and a 19' boat so I've towed before BUT both of them had tandem axles which are more stable. I got the boat first so that's where I learned how to back up because its all about backing up with a boat LOL Boats tow way different than trailers though because they're just a teeny bit more aerodynamic than a big box on wheels.

After towing the Jayco home tonight, I realized that only having one axle isn't so bad. I didn't experience any sway and while it was a little challenging, it helped to only have the one axle to back it into the driveway. The street I live on is very narrow (kind of a driveway sorta thingee) so not much room to maneuver the truck around but because the single axle is unforgiving :oops: I was able to work the trailer onto the driveway. I just went really slow and didn't try to make any sudden moves.

I will have to practice with this trailer just like I had to practice with the 24' tt and the boat to get good at it. I'm sure it will take me several tries to get into campsites until I get used to how it reacts. Practice is the key. I just hope I don't knock something or someone over while "I'm tryin' to get good at it" ;)

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby linann » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Really like the counter space and contemporary fabrics. You will be very comfortable!
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. You will love it.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Sandersmr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Cougarfan wrote:
Travelinana wrote:Laura, have you pulled a trailer before? If not, I think that makes 3 of us in the learning stages. We'll have to keep each other informed on progress.

I have had a 24' tt and a 19' boat so I've towed before BUT both of them had tandem axles which are more stable. I got the boat first so that's where I learned how to back up because its all about backing up with a boat LOL Boats tow way different than trailers though because they're just a teeny bit more aerodynamic than a big box on wheels.

After towing the Jayco home tonight, I realized that only having one axle isn't so bad. I didn't experience any sway and while it was a little challenging, it helped to only have the one axle to back it into the driveway. The street I live on is very narrow (kind of a driveway sorta thingee) so not much room to maneuver the truck around but because the single axle is unforgiving :oops: I was able to work the trailer onto the driveway. I just went really slow and didn't try to make any sudden moves.

I will have to practice with this trailer just like I had to practice with the 24' tt and the boat to get good at it. I'm sure it will take me several tries to get into campsites until I get used to how it reacts. Practice is the key. I just hope I don't knock something or someone over while "I'm tryin' to get good at it" ;)

Laura

The main problem I have with the single axle is the amount of bouncing or porpoising the trailer does behind the truck. A double axle would take a lot of that out. I think your backing difficulties may be more due to the length of the trailer. I've been told shorter trailers are harder to back than longer trailers because of the way they react. I know that I'm lucky the driveway across the street is directly opposite mine and I have been known to "borrow it" backing into my driveway.
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby OutandAbout » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Cougarfan wrote:
Travelinana wrote:[color=#BF0000][b]

Laura

I foresee more camping in your future. Camping excuse .. but I have to practice backing in .. Congrats on the TT I'm sure you will have many new and wonderful adventures. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby MsJane » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Very nice looking trailer & ditto about all that counter space!!

Have fun getting it ready for your adventures.
Terie
MsJane

Postby Echo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Shorter trailers are way more difficult to back up than longer ones because they react so quickly. The key is to goo slowly making small adjustments with the steering wheel.

Remember the truckers word, "GOAL". Get Out And Look. Save yourself some grief.... ;)
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby dayspring39 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:39 am

Oh how nice that tt is... so glad for you! be sure to post pictures when it is home!
Kathleen
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby monik7 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm so new it's taking me time to go thru all the posts. Saw your new rig and it's beautiful! I'll be at the GTG in OR so will be looking forward to a tour of your new "baby." Don't you love that new car, er trailer, smell? See you there. I'll be in space F46 in MY new "baby."
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby ellenw » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 am

I'm looking forward to a tour of EVERYONE's rig. I'll show off my Cruise America 25'. :D
Ellen (and Tucker of course!), traveling in "Joy," a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

http://www.JoyfulMeanderings.wordpress.com

Image Image Image
ellenw

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:31 am

Doing the happy dance for you, Laura. She's a beauty.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Previous

Return to Show off your Rigs