What are You Towing, Driving etc. Part II

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: What are You Towing, Driving etc. Part II

Postby txyellowrose » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 am

I LOVE this thread!!

We are WOMEN! Watch us RV!

:D
Betty
Texan chick, Scotsman, Lhasa Apso/?, 2010 Montana 3585SA, 2008 Ford F350 SRW
Escapees, Good Sam Club, Workamper News members
http://phoenixonceagain.blogspot.com
http://cpr4u.us
http://reikiwarmhands.com
txyellowrose

Postby Birdie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 am

My new gal, Suite Pea with Herbie sitting at Goliad State Park Jacales campground area.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Travelinana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 am

I drive a 24' Chinook Destiny on a Chevy chassis..It's a good size, will go about anywhere and I don't tow a vehicle. I have just put it on www.rvonline.com. I'm a little nervous, no, I'm alot nervous about getting the itch for a small Class A I've found. If anyone wants to know anything about Destiny just ask.
I had it online once before and then backed out. I did save the list of people who called so I will call to see if they might still be interested.
Nancy & Rudy Image
Finding wealth in what you are and not what you have. Living with less is living well indeed.
~Gigi Galluzzo
Travelinana

Postby Travelinana » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 am

Birdie wrote:My new gal, Suite Pea with Herbie sitting at Goliad State Park Jacales campground area.

Birdie, I'm looking at a 2010 Winnebago Vista 26'. I also am a little interested in a 2011 30' Holiday Rambler Vacationer. Did you consider a HR by chance?
Nancy & Rudy Image
Finding wealth in what you are and not what you have. Living with less is living well indeed.
~Gigi Galluzzo
Travelinana

Postby Birdie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Nancy, In my search, over a year of looking, never saw a small HR for sale either new or used.

My first consideration was that it should be in either the top 1/3 or middle 1/3, read that as upper 2/3's of the rated manufacturers list. HR would have been there.

Second consideration was the amount of exterior storage. Still ended up a little on the small side for that, but I am adjusting to that. Full-timing means a different amount for storage than if you are part-timing. At least we like to think that way.

Third consideration was it needed to be 2009 or later. Time passes fast and the older rigs mean more repairs and most times you have some jumps to go thru to get the maintenance in line. My old rig didn't have any maintenance on it when I purchased it. That can be problematic. One of my first maintenance items was the wheel bearings had to be packed....they were dry! Be sure to check any of the maintenance items.

Fourth consideration, the manufacturer should still be in business and not on the iffy side.

Was 2010 the first year for the View? A 30' HR...WOW. Cost to operate that compared to your Destiny will put you in Shock!! I mean SHOCK! But then the cost for the View won't be much less. If they are gas the mpg will probably about 1 or 2 difference depending on whether or not you tow. I am getting about the same with this motor as I did with the E-450 2005 motor on a 2006 model rig.

I was probably pretty anal about the whole process, but it was quite an informative process. This is probably a lot more information than you wanted to read! But, you know how it is, ask and you shall receive.

Good luck on your search. Winneabago is a solid company. I didn't research HR but they have nice looking units.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Getupngo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Here's my beautiful rig!

No, not really!! :lol:

I drive a 2000 35-foot Holiday Rambler Vacationer. I tow a 2001 Honda CRV.

Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby vickMT » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Beautiful rig Birdie!!!

vicki
Vicki & Sheila & group
2005 Jay Feather 25Z; 2005 Silverado XCab
2 Trek Bikes; 2 Eddyline Kayaks
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
vickMT

Postby longdog2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Janice
The picture you posted is one of the reasons why some parks have a10 year age limit. Older does not have to mean falling apart but it gives them an out. Older rigs that are maintained will usually have no trouble. All that tape and bondo would be scary
on the road.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby gkcbates » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:17 pm

We traded about a year and a half ago. Traded our TT (that I adored) for this Cougar by Keystone. its a 2010, 34ft, with 3 slides. It is roomy. The TT had a tiny bathroom and that was actually the factor that brought about the trade. since we are about to do a good bit of traveling (hopefully) that bathroom just wasn't working for us. So far we have taken it back a couple of times for some warranty work but it seems solid and the things we had repaired were not biggies. We pull this darling with a 2005 Ford F250 supercab. I hope it will last for a couple more years and then we plan to trade for dually before we make our proposed Alaska trip in 2014. Lord willing and the creek don't rise!

I don't know how you all post your smaller pictures maybe I can check on that. We were setting up here in Westcliff, Colorado.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
___Lewis Carroll
gkcbates

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:43 pm

I think your picture is the perfect size. :D
AlmostThere

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Nice rig....Cougar 5er was our 2nd choice after our Open Range 5er....2 yr. warranty on the Open Range was the deal maker for us, mainly....but our interior is pretty nice, too.... ;) You'll do the trip you've plan....We're doing ours starting in June....and it was somewhat planned 2 yrs. ago... :D
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby cpatinjones » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:02 am

I tow a 2010 34' 7" Cougar 5th wheel with a 2010 Ford 250 4-door diesel truck. See pic in my signature.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby gkcbates » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Carolyn, I think our Cougar is actually 34' 7" and looks like yours on the outside. Wonder if its the same floor plan? I sure like ours. I didn't get my favorite color scheme. Would have had to ordered that one and this one they had on the lot. But I like it very much. In fact, I think it came in 3 different color schemes and I actually liked all of them.

Lori, we are already planning our Alaska trip for 2 years off so I am not surprised you have been planning this awhile. Sure hope you will post that adventure here as you go alone if possible.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
___Lewis Carroll
gkcbates

Previous

Return to Show off your Rigs