In Japan, Living Large In Really Tiny Houses

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

In Japan, Living Large In Really Tiny Houses

Postby rriverstone » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128953596
"The Japanese have long endured crowded cities and scarce living space, with homes so humble a scornful European official once branded them rabbit hutches.

But in recent years, Japanese architects have turned necessity into virtue, vying to design unorthodox and visually stunning houses on remarkably narrow pieces of land. In the process, they are also redefining the rules of home design."

Check out the links on the sidebar for other tiny house constructions.
rriverstone

Re: In Japan, Living Large In Really Tiny Houses

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:54 pm

I have seen some of the small cottage/cabins that people have made here in the US. :) And think of the tent cities of the homeless....and the average "home" structures of many third world countries. :? The concept of living small..... When I drive down the highway in my RV I also think of the small covered wagons carrying entire families across our country. It helps to remind us all of what is needed and want is wanted.....in or life choices.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Echo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Boy is that true!!!

Working at the paving company when I lived it Maine was an eye opener where houses were concerned. Monster houses with only 2 people and sometimes only 1 person. People would come up from NYC, NJ, CT and MA to build 'summer homes'. They always built them huge.

One house Scarborough where we paved the drive was totally massive with a 4 car garage. The single female owner lived in the apartment over the garage. She came out to talk to us especially when she saw that there were 3 women drivers. She said that she and her husband built the house for the two of them but did have 2 adult kids that use to visit once in a while over the summer. They retired and lived full time in the house by themselves, at least for a while. They split up and she ended up with the house as he moved back to CT. House had 8 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, a family room, and inground pool. She moved out to the garage apartment cause she said it felt like a more comfortable space and was cozier. House was empty, she didn't rent it out to anyone not even in the summer. Said that the house with just her in it was spooky and she didn't like the 'echos' she made moving around in there. Said she had no idea why they had built so big except for maybe because they 'could'? Said the house they had had in CT where the husband moved back into had been much, much smaller.

That said.... Why DO people build so freaking big?? Doing a "one up" on someone maybe???
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby TGallagher » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Can't understand why the Europeans criticize everyone. Guess they're just jealous. As for living in a small space, trailers and truck campers have far less square footage than most "micro" houses and the occupants are happy.

As for building huge, I wish I could explain. Perhaps Dr. Phil should do a show. Compensating for something, perhaps?

Anyway, my next home will be a 1970 18ft Yellowstone trailer, if the deal goes well. Plenty of space for immediate living and writing for me and my cat (she writes better than I do,LOL), and storage will house the rest.
TGallagher

Postby kdmac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Echo wrote:

That said.... Why DO people build so freaking big?? Doing a "one up" on someone maybe???

Back in the 80's and 90's Washington State had an unprecedented influx of Californians. They built massive sprawling homes uncharacterstic for the PNW at the time and these massive homes often were occupied by two people. The reason they built so overly large, at that time, was to avoid capital gains taxes. They sold their humble, but nice, 3-bdrm ranch-style homes in California for $800,000 to $1000,000, give or take, and had to invest that same amount in the newer one or pay taxes on the gain. But, I believe more often than not it's "hey, suckers, look how much money we have, aren't we something!"
kdmac

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:38 pm

I just read an article not too long ago that people are building much smaller homes again, like the kind we grew up in. Much more affordable and just as easy to live in. If I won the lottery, I still would not want a really large home. What a waste of money and space! I am sure it is the "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality that makes people build these massive homes, or a status symbol.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JoanE » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 am

Saw this embroidered on a pillow....."He who dies with the most toys, wins." Or biggest house?
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Getupngo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 am

I figure my living space in the RV is about 250+ square feet, and I'm perfectly comfortable by myself. I have a little 1948 brick bungalow that is about 1100 sq ft on the main. Small is good ... except I have TOO MUCH STUFF. The key, I suppose, is paring down.

I would love to have a BIG house if I had the staff to keep it clean, mowed & maintained. Oh, and someone to pay the PROPERTY TAXES. :lol: :lol: :lol: Every time I think of getting something bigger, I think about how much gas I could buy for the RV with the property taxes. :shock:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Return to Show off your Rigs