Painted Cupboards

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Painted Cupboards

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:02 pm

I've gotten past the kitchen area and into the living room. As you can see some of the cupboards had glass with gold lines - YUK!. I figured I had nothing to lose as I could easily replace the glass with wood, so I painted the glass. Used two coats of Kilz and about 3 coats of paint. You can't tell that they're glass anymore. What is it with whoever decorates some of these rigs and the glitzy glass with gold. Reminds me of houses of ill repute, not that I've ever been in one, just from TV. Sometimes it seems like I'm never going to get done but I just keep plugging away. I still have the bedroom to go as well.

I've also made slipcovers for my dinette and sofa that can be removed and washed. When I get back to Kerrville, anyone that wants to come by for a few days, I'd be happy to teach how to do this. If you sew at all, its much easier than it looks.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Painted Cupboards

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Lookin' GOOD! i like the glitzy glass painted over. Much more calm and relaxing.
Cedar518

Postby Barbzeee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:56 pm

See I go for the practical stuff.. in a rig who needs all that polishing.. where were their brians.. it's like one time I was some place... and this huge rig pulls in.. the people were really nice.. and we all got together via the campground and next thing I know I'm invited in and boy talk about glass... holy schamole.. it was glass from Stem to Stern.. in fact I could have had on a pair of sun glasses.. as it was beaming .. even one of those crystal chandliers.. LOL I could just see that baby rocking traveling down the road.. hahahaha...

But Karen.. I'm practical.. I like pretty.. but without all the labor... LOL more like lazy oh yeah !!

God Bless thos cabinets.. they look great

Barbzeee and Crew..
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:50 pm

You're really doing a super job. When you're done, would you like to do my rig? No glass, just wood, LOL.

Actually, I'm ok with the orangish wood - but would like to do something about the carpet - just haven't figured out how to do something with it without having to redo the linoleum - and I don't want to do that, too. Like Zeee, I'm lazy.

Okies, I have to do laundry and more laundry. So collecting that and off I go.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:30 pm

They look great! How is the paint holding up on the glass? I hate that tacky gold & frosted stuff on mine too! The color is a good choice too. I'll be starting on my cabinets soon. I'm interested in those sewing classes for making slipcovers too. You did a great job! Hope you enjoy them. :)
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 pm

So far everything is holding up fine. I sanded lightly, even the glass. One coat of Kilz on the wood, 3 thin coats on the glass then 2 coats on cupboards and 3 light coats on the glass. Lot of work but Kilz is a great product.

Beth, I had the carpet taken out and vinyl put in. I LOVE it - just sweep up the hair - doesn't cling to carpet. Sweep and swifter takes five minutes. I paid someone to put in sheet vinyl. If I was going to do it again I would still pay someone to cut the carpet out. Had to be cut with a carpet knife cause they carpet first then put in all the furniture, cabinets, etc. Then I would do it myself using peel N stick vinyl tiles. They can be cut with scissors - lots of crawling on the floor but you do a few at a time and finally its all done.

I say go for it - its your home - do what you love.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Color me plain and simple, no fancy glass for me! You're doing a great job, Karen, it looks good.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby pattyk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:44 pm

I saw Karen's painted cupboards personally and they look professionally done. She has done a great job. Her slipcovers for the dinette are great, too.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Karen, I like your paint job, did you paint the one in the first pic as well, the one with
the clock and speaker on it or is it still the woodtone? All my cabinets are like that,
the woodtone, I have one in the livingroom above the tv with the glass on the doors.
I have plans to put fabric on the inside of the glass using that spray on adhesive
stuff. Don't know how it will turn out but I hate looking through the glass and seeing
my mess in the cabinet.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:49 pm

I'm working my way towards the front cupboard so eventually ALL the cupboards in my rig will be taupe. I thought about replacing the glass with a piece of wood but thought I'd try painting them first. Worked so saved the money. Never liked the orangey color but was worried about resale if I painted. Finally decided this was my home and I was gonna to what made me happy. Besides its given me something to do here in Douglas.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby carold » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Lookin good!!!!! carold
carold

Postby Mtntophoundz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Oh I love it! I have the cabinet doors with the mirror and glittery gold accents on them. I have young kids so you know those are covered with handprints. ICKY. I am going to have to figure out something to do about that. I know the mirror is in there to make it look bigger, but....Gee Whiz its a TT, I know what size it is. LOL I was just talking to Scotty about getting rid of the carpet for vinyl tile, but he wants to disassemble the inside of the rig to do it. So I guess I will live with carpet. He is a perfectionist. Oh well!

Happy Painting!
Mollie
A hubby, 2 skin kids,
Fur-sons Shane & Rascal
It is in the woods we return to reason and faith..... ~Emerson
Mtntophoundz

Return to Show off your Rigs