What to get?

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

What to get?

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm

I am a full-timer with a partner in a 40' diesel pusher. I plan to go it alone starting in the fall. Tossing around all sorts of ideas of what to get. I have a cruiser motorcycle, maybe a car, bicycle, and a kayak. We have been driving separate...me in the mh and him with the car, pulling a mtc trailer. Would like a Class C, but don't like living in a toy hauler (been there, done that), though it makes the most sense. Would like opinions on tow dollies for a motorcycle and car. Does anyone use one? Thought about towing a small pickup and put the mtc in it with a ramp. Like this idea the best so far, as long as I can put the bike in the truck by myself.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Re: What to get?

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:02 am

I have seen Class C's with a ramp like thing attached to the back for a bike and they were also pulling a car. The truck idea would also work and maybe better. You would need to be careful of the weight of a MTC ramp thingy AND a car. Have you researched which vehicles you can tow wheels down? I just bought a Chevy Cobalt for just that reason. ONly thing is it can't be towed over 65 mph which is OK by me.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Here's a couple of links about tow dollies with ramps that I am trying to copy from another forum. Hope they work, I'm not too good at this.

http://www.factoryramps.com/products/mo ... dolly.html http://www.racecityrvproducts.com/?gcli ... nAodch64LQ

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Some good ideas to ponder, girls...thanks! I saved that website for the tow dolly and ramps. Had a tandem tow dolly before and think it would be a bit long/heavy for a Class C. I like those ramps for loading the bike into a pickup. I haven't researched weight limits to tow with a typical gas Class C. I may have to leave the car behind and put the bike on a small motorcycle trailer and tow it. It has been a long time since that was my primary mode of transportation! Rain suit? Check! Keep the ideas flowing, girls!

Linda
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

I did it! I bought my own motor home!

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 am

OK, girls...I did it! I bought my own motor home!!! I looked and looked down here in FL at used Class C's. They all needed too much work and couldn't believe what people want for them! Almost all of them had body damage of some kind. I also found out how common leaks are in the cabover, so decided to stick with Class A's. I'm heading back to IA for the summer....I got a job, by the way! Will post that on the other board...so thought the best way would be to buy one back there so I can get it without flying back down here to pick it up. I found one at a dealership and put a down payment on it. It is a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 34J. I'm so excited!!! I decided to go for this size, since I'm used to a larger mh and will be living in it full time. I will be picking it up in April. I am excited and a bit nervous at the same time, but I know I have done a lot of crazy things and God has always taken care of me!!! The hardest part will be parting with Gizmo :cry: . We are each taking a dog in the divorce. I will have my buddy, Rags, with me :D. Please pray for us!

Linda and Rags

bikerchic777

Postby avalen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:47 am

Its so exciting and I can hardly wait for pictures to show up under "show off your rigs"
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:51 am

Thanks, Ava! I can't seem to post my pics as they are too large. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated! I can't even seem to post a profile pic! BTW...I love Scottsdale! If you hear of any workamping jobs there for next winter that offer a free site + pay, let me know!

Linda

bikerchic777

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 am

Linda, I'm sending you a PM....
Cedar518

Postby VickieP » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 am

I'm happy for you Linda! Seems things are coming right along for you to branch out on your own and enjoy your new freedom. Learn to post pics because I can't wait to see your new MH & the campground you'll be working at.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:50 am

Congratulations and looking forward to hearing more about your new adventures. Tough that you lost custody of one of your "kids". But that is so much nicer to hear than the stories of the pups that end up in shelters due to separations and nobody wanted or could keep the furrykid...... The dogs adjust so much easier than we do generally. Here is to new journeys!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:23 am

Linda!! How exciting! I'm assuming Cedar is going to give you instructions on posting pictures. I hope so. Can't wait to see pics of your new MH. Congrats!
And I'll ask the Lord to keep "propping up your leaning side". :D
AlmostThere

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 am

Gosh, girls! You are bringing tears to my eyes :oops: AlmostThere...Cedar did give me instructions, so will work on posting pics. Thanks for the prayers. I need all I can get!!! Thanks BirdyBird...I know it will be hard for the boys (dogs). Hopefully the slow transition this summer will work well for them. I will definitely need the unconditional love from Rags! VickieP...working on that! I can't wait to see my new mh, too! Where I will be working/living is a day use area, but the whole area is beautiful. I stayed at one of the campgrounds last summer and so much space and some great views of the lake from some of the sites. I will definitely be taking pics, though ;) God willing and with everyone's support, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!!

bikerchic777

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Linda, just noticed you are in Crystal River. My best friend lives there. I was down there a year ago and we went kayaking with the manatees. Very cool experience!

Congrats on the new MH!! Can't wait to see pics of it and also of your dog! Too bad the dogs have to be separated. Altho, if you are both working at the same campground, they will get to see each other anyways.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 pm

BarbaraRose...I am a kayaker, too, and love paddling out to the spring at Three Sisters to see/swim with the manatees! Cool creatures! Just paddled out there a couple of weeks ago when a friend of mine was here visiting from CA. Also love paddling Rainbow River. Did you go there or to the state park? Did you stay here in your RV? Will be here until the end of March. Yes, the boys will still get to play together this summer.

Linda and Rags

bikerchic777

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I stayed with my girlfriend, Cathy who lives right on the river near town (don't have an RV yet). We kayaked to 3 Sisters and thru the "canals". Most of the manatees we saw were in the river by the bridge. Not very many near the springs (it was the middle of April). Too bad you aren't staying there longer, Cathy is retired and would love someone to go kayaking with around there. She just joined a local group that kayaks all over around the area. Some of the other ladies on here go kayaking in and around Crystal River too.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs