Pics of the changes on the Short Bus

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Pics of the changes on the Short Bus

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Okay, compared to "Jenny" I got nothing fancy to brag about but it works for me. Simple, small, easy to park and not much to clean! The open floor space also lets me change up the dog crating depending on where I am going an who is traveling with me!

The counter top box I had made to fit over the stove burners and keep "stuff" from falling into the burners and provide sandwich making space. I use the microwave most of the time so the "counter" gets used most of the time and I don't ever see the stove top now...... I velco'ed the dog bone jar and the basket to the counter. Need to keep important things close to hand....so I have been told by my traveling buddies. :roll:

The Induction cook top fits nicely here but the advantage is that I can take it outside and cook outside anytime I want. It uses very little electric.....

The bed that replaced the jack-knife sofa. Much more comfortable. Had mattress made for 32 inches. Wanted to leave as much aisle space as possible but decided not to skimp too much. Measured how much space my legs took up in their usual sleeping position and added a couple of inches for comfort. Also needed it wide enough to take snuggle dogs while reading and watching TV :P

Better view of the box built under the bed. The water tank takes up part of the space under there but b/c I raised it a couple of inches there is a good 6-8 inches of storage space for extra blankets, pillows, whatever...... All I have to do is raise the mattress up on its edge on the ledge in back and open the lid...much easier to get into and out of than under the couch......

Found the office chair at IKEA, can we say CHEAP, but it raises to accommodate long legs, can be loosened to rock back like a recliner and has a back that comes up just high enough to support my head if I want to kick back. The small computer table just happened to jump out at me when I was a IKEA. It also raises and lowers height to fit different chairs (Like maybe outside in the camp chair). The top can come off to brake down farther if I need to get it out of my way more. I can till carry the other small table I have. Might be useful outside when boondocking. Still thinking about possibilities for a foot rest. Raise the chair and use the bed? Find a small box that can store in the seat of the chair and might provide another storage option. When I see it I will know.....

Looking from the back kitchen area. The floor now has room for the small mattress I had made. Sleeps just fine and the dogs loved having me sleep with them for a change! It reminded me of tent camping and being the one near the tent door. Last one down and first on up........but it worked when we went down to camp and kayak with DD and her significant other.

Looking back from the front...removing the last of the dinette seats really opened up the floor...visually and also actually for my size 12 feet and a few dogs.

The next project: taking out the old TV (the new small one I finally found and ordered will go under the cabinet above the end of the bed) and deciding how best to use this space.....The cabinets that are there waste a bunch of space. It really is deep enough for a small person not afraid of tight spaces to sleep. If nothing else...more storage!!

Herschel, the best co-pilot, waiting to see if he actually gets to go somewhere....or "...what are you doing taking pictures when we could be heading down the road?"

"Well, maybe if I just chill, she will get her act together off we will go....."
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Re: Pics of the changes on the Short Bus

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Love what you've done. Isn't it fun to make the rigs "ours". I held off painting for a long time worrying about "resale" and finally figured out that its my home and I can do what I want to.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I love what you've done, makes me want to remodel mine but its just not gonna
happen yet.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby VickieP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:08 pm

You've made it your own, just how you want and need it, that's neat.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:04 am

I LOVE what you've done with the place! :) Your rig is really cool.

I was thinking of those little folding plastic step stools for a foot-rest (I use mine for that), but if you have size 12 feet, I'm gonna guess you have no need for a step stool to reach things

And I never got around to telling you that I really like Herschel's name. Now I see a picture of him - he's gorgeous! What a face!!! Name fits.

mitch5252

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:42 pm

ohhhh, I love what you did to the sofa. You are so right, they are uncomfortable at best and painful at worst. You have me thinking now. So many great mods you have done. And the countertop box over the cooktop,... so handy and useful.
Cedar518

Postby asirimarco » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:24 am

Really like the "box" above the range. Really usefull. I need to show it to The Driver. Looks like you are really setting it up how you want it. Thats the way to go. Thanks for sharing.
asirimarco

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

Tina, is Herschel coming to the GTG in October?
I can't stop going back and looking at that face.
That picture just makes me smile!
If you get around me, best keep him away...don't want you going home without him! :o
(naw, I'm just kidding - I'm no dog thief! But if you want to steal my little beast, I'll turn my head!)

Mitch

PS: I wouldn't trade our little beast for anything! The Sisterhood got me a 'look-alike' cupcake cake this past weekend:

..................................................Image

mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Herschel will most likely come...he doesn't like to stay home. Husband will watch a few of the critters if he has to......but since they are my pups, I save those requests for when I really need the coverage. It is the English Cockers that add multiple potty runs and walks. It wasn't so bad with 4 b/c it worked out to two trips....... but adding the pup..... Someone may need to stay at a friend's house through some of the travels...... One thing with Herschel along I usually feel fine parked anywhere. Not everybody knows he is a marshmallow! Well and he is the most obedient....I don't worry about him accidently getting out the door at rest stops.....thus the crates for everybody else.....

Your Pup Cake looks just like the pup! :P
BirdbyBird

Postby OutandAbout » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:38 pm

I just love what you have done to make the RV yours. Everything in its place and provides so much floor space. I am curious about the induction cook top. I don't cook in the camper anymore, too much mess and odor. I'm not much of a cook anyway. I prefer to just BBQ or just buy something already made. The cook top would be perfect. Where did you get it, you do seem to like it. OK now I'm going to do a search. Thanks for sharing your mods and showing your handsome furbaby. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby carold » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm

You did a great job. Very usable space savers. My stove came with a top and it does add so much more working space. carold
carold

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:45 am

I LOVE the inside of your rig and what you've done to it, but I am very curious to see what the 'mini bus' looks like on the outside? Is it a class B, or what? It is too roomy looking to be that, I think.

Herschel is so beautiful!

And nothing beats a real bed, although my jacknife sofa is super comfy with my 2 inch layer of memory foam on it!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:08 am

Soos, I have pics of the short bus from much earlier. I think I included an outside shot :? It is a 22 ft BT Gulfstream class C or for some a B+, 8 ft wide. I kept looking at the B's but I am 5' 9" and with the paw pals following me around I never got the feeling that there would be enough room on rainy days This parks very easily and feels spacious inside........ but then I spent my childhood in tents :P
I have to say, Margie's "Ms B Haven" is lovely and a tempting deal though
BirdbyBird

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm

You sure did, Tina, and I (obviously) must have seen it as I commented on it! It was fun to go back and compare your newest changes!

I am seriously thinking of trading my pickup and TT for something self-contained, but I think anything looking like a 'camper'-- as yours does-- might be refused in the FL home association where I have a house. I guess just a plain B is what I should be looking for.

I love your rig, however! Maybe I can 'fix' it to look more like a BIG van!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby VickieP » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Soos, get one of those big rv covers made for it and paint it camo! They'll NEVER see it! :shock: :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs