Getupngo's Escape Capsule

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Getupngo's Escape Capsule

Postby Getupngo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Here is my 2000 Holiday Rambler Vacationer on site in Friday Harbor.
I have two slides & washer-dryer. I tow an 01 Honda CRV using the
Blue Ox towing system.

After a few white-knuckle trips with the rig meandering all over the lane,
I installed new Bilstein shocks & the Steer-safe steering stabilizing system.
It's now a dream to drive ... even in a stiff wind!

Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Re: Getupngo's Escape Capsule

Postby Bethers » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Oh Janice, your rv is so nice, and the location is so beautiful. I love those big class a's, but wouldn't take them down the roads I like travelling - maybe one day, though :)

Thanks for sharing!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks for the photo - really nice rig. When I was looking I was intimidated by the cabs of the A's - felt like I had the WHOLE road. My Class C is just a truck with a really long rear end. :mrgreen:
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:43 pm

I really like the color combination on that paint job. From what I've heard, if I had a big rig, I'd want that steering assist, too. Glad it will keep you safe.
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:55 pm

lovely big rig, I'd be in seventh heaven for sure
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 pm

Love your rig. Driving a Class A intimidates me too. On our next trip out I'm going to drive it, but it scares me to death. How long was it before you got used to it?
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Getupngo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:02 pm

I can understand not wanting to have a rig like this to foray into smaller campsites. My mode of travel is to settle in an area and volunteer or work for my keep, months at a time. If I wanted a more mobile strike force, I'd certainly scale down. But I like to stretch out, as it were.

I just jumped right in driving the A ... it actually is far less intimidating than my 29-foot class C because it is heavier and more stable. It doesn't get rocked side to side whenever a semi passes, nor hard to hold on the highway in high winds. I have a rear-view camera so passing & changing lanes is easy.

A lot of the learning curve is understanding how long you are, and how to make allowances for its big @$$ end swinging around. I also learned early how to tell whether I can GET OUT of someplace I want to turn into. And unlike the Class C, I can SEE how wide my rig is. The 29-footer had a small cab & the "house" had overhangs on either side. The sides of my rig are the sides of my rig. And volumes could be written about how much I love having hydraulic jacks vs. leveling my rig -- alone -- using those #!$*& lego blocks!

And I LIKE driving the Class A. WIth my CRV hooked up, my rig is just under 65 feet. Now, I'm only 5'3", and I don't get to be BIG very often. When I roll onto the highway, I'm BIG. I look straight across at semi drivers. I can muscle on the highway a bit. I can sit up high and see what all those little cars are doing ahead, giving me enough time to decide how I want to respond. And the views through the wide windshield are awesome.

Yes, I'm spoiled. Rotten. :roll:
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Ya know, I just love that we can all love different things for different reasons - and I love that the big rig is something that you like feeling "big" LOL - just loved the way you said it all. I came so close to purchasing a Class A (30 ft) this past spring. I know I would love it had I done it - but just love exactly what I have - so gonna keep it for a couple more years. Who knows what'll happen then -

Oh, at 5' nothing - I've always liked small - so maybe that also is why I like my little rig :)

And I didn't say before, I love naming it your Escape Capsule - great, great name.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:24 pm

It's beautiful Janice! Maybe bigger than my stick house.....
Diana
mtngal

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:02 am

When I had the Tropi-Cal it was a Gas Class A 37 ft and we had the stablizers added on and it did make a big difference. I learned to drive the Tropi-Cal and was not intimidated by it and even drove it one time across town all by myself. Now the Seeya is bigger and the dash scares the crap out of me for some stupid reason... :?

I will say I DO like being up high in the saddle so to speak,I can see way up ahead and can see when traffic is slowing down and start to slow down and get on the brakes. I have a CB and when traffic slows down I turn that baby on to find out what the problem is and get off the next exit so I'm not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic if there is a accident! Truckers and I respect each other when changing lanes by blinking our headlights and taillights saying " come on over left ya some space".
I'm 5'4" so I like being taller! When making turns I remember...SQUARE TURNS! That way I have given my rear end enough room to swing safely. I keep the back up camera on all the time when driving and the frig and propane is turned OFF.

You are right about mirror placement, Class A's have BIGGER mirrors and moved out so you see more, Class C's are smaller and harder to figure out. Even on Class A's some do not place the mirrors right for the best visability.

When fueling it has to be Flying J or a big rig station for us so we do not get hung up on something. I have seen two 5th wheels either tear off the front bedroom hitting the station canopy or get hung up on the island and opened the back of the 5th wheel like a sardine can!!! I did not want to be anywhere near that couple that day.....think I would have had a heart attack!

I love the size of mine for living, I just do not enjoy driving it unless I am on a quiet road somewhere.HATE freeways!!! We prefer the Red roads, plus you see more!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby asirimarco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:16 am

Very nice motorhome and beautiful place to spend time. Really envy you for driving it.
We had a 36' Itasca gas that I drove around a BIG parking lot and for about 5 miles down the highway. My husband was teaching me. He does not make a good co-pilot! (my goodness my computer does not know how to spell this a.m.) I thought I was doing fine but he was scooching further and further away from the window -" Your too close to the shoulder." He should sit there when he drives. Have not even tried in the SeeYa - the diesel buttons, air brakes etc. scare me. Let alone the size. Like trying to drive a hotel.
asirimarco

Postby Getupngo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:34 pm

asirimarco wrote: Like trying to drive a hotel.

Loved that mental image. Thanks!

I have not driven a diesel, and have to say the thought intimidates me, simply because I don't know anything about them. But if someone gave me one I'd be willing to learn! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:18 pm

Why is it the bigger the RV and the more it costs the more confusing the dash gets!! I know I know put my big girl panties on or is it depends? and practice more!! :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Paulette » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:07 pm

Driving a diesel, in my experience, is no different than driving a gas vehicle. The only difference I know of with mine is that you turn the key and wait until you turn it over to crank the engine. And my air brake can be turned on or off with a switch on the dash board. So, maybe some of the other or older diesels are different to drive, but my FRED, Allegro Bay which is an 07 model, drives the same as a gasser.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby cnanago » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am

Beautiful rig and just love the name Escape Capsule. So neat
Remember- Keep smiling-
They'll wonder what you're up to.

Micheline, Buster (Maltese) and Miss Daisy (Shitzu)
cnanago

Return to Show off your Rigs