Colliemom's Trailer Remodel

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Colliemom's Trailer Remodel

Postby Colliemom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:21 pm

As many of you know, I remodeled the inside of my trailer with help from my friend Brenda. Many have asked for pictures and I am finally getting around to posting them for you. It's been almost a year since this was done, but better late than never :lol: Sorry about picture quality but the windows were making it hard to get good clear shots. I forgot to take a before picture, but basically what I wanted to do was remove one of two wardrobe cabinets that were on each side of my walk around bed and turn my bed sideways the width of the trailer as I love to lay and look out my front picture. So friend Brenda came up and went to work with her multi tool to cut the cupboard down so it came even with the top level of cupboards above the bed.

Once that was done, then we manufactured a new bottom for the cupboard and got that in place with some trim to finish it off. I later stained it to match my existing cupboards as close as I could.

Once that was completed we turned our attention to the bed frame area. Being that the bed mattress was longer than wider, we took the underbed storage area's lift up cover off and cut it down to come even with it's frame as it stuck out a bit past for a lift handhold. Being it was on a metal frame that we couldn't cut down to size and weld, a new lightweight wood frame was made and put it it's place. Also some luan board between the existing bed frame and the side wall to support the mattress, covered it with some carpeting I happened to have.

Once that was done, I then made a frame and enclosed the open corner by the wall next to the underbed storage area, in order to have some support for the mattress. It also made a nice storage area for whatever. And there was enough room between the mattress and the outside wall under the window for me to build a storage box, with a lid, the length of the bed, with the plug that was originally in the nightstand which is now under the mattress, to be placed in the corner. The box was finished off with paneling to match the cupboards after this picture was taken.

Once those two things were done, the mattress was put back in place, the width of the the trailer

The last and final thing I did was put the shelves in the other wardrobe closet. This is a removable shelving system. I took some I/4 by 3 inch pieces of craft wood and cut the to fit the height of the wardrobe front and back. Then used 1x2 pieces of craft wood, cut to fit the width of the wardrobe. Measured to fit for 3 shelves and then attached the 1x2 pieces to the other wood. This frame sets inside the wardrobe, one on each side. I then cut the shelves out of luan board to fit the width and depth of the closet and set them on the crosspieces. They fit tight, so they hold the frame against the wardrobe side and nothing is needed to hold it in place. No glue, no screws etc. I can take it out if I want to utilize that wardrobe for handing stuff instead.

The door for the newly created overhead cupboard was taken to my local cabinet shop here , cut down to size and the trim remounted in place. Then I installed it back in place in the trailer, that occured after the last picture was taken. Last but not least made up the bed and viola. Nice cozy spot to sleep, watch out the window at night and just enjoy.

Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Colliemom's Trailer Remodel

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Ncely done! Not sure I'm that brave! Thanks for sharing.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Great work! I, too, would prefer that and the ability to look out that large window!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Very nice! If you ever have time and need some cash, you could hire yourself out to remodel RVs--charge a lot also, as you do great work!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Great job, both of you! I would also prefer to be able to look out the window instead of having it behind me.

I also like the little storage area you made for the other side of the bed. Great for books, etc.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 pm

looks great
sheila
snowball

Postby Irmi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am

Wow, Sue! That looks just great! Good job!
Irmi

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:34 am

Nice job Sue!
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby longdog2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 am

Great job.....I have never seen anyone change a walk around bed but I can see why you like it. Very clever way of putting shelves in the closet without making any holes. I will definitely keep that in mind. It all looks great.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Redetotry » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am

AMAZING !!! You two did a terrific job. I also like the bed that direction!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am

Im late seeing this but must tell you i like your change much better then original. You all did a Great job ! How talented you are with ideas and doing the work. Really does look Nice and many times being able to lay in bed and see outside would be wonderful, especially if you had a water site and wildlife wondering around.

Great job,
CArol
Carolinagal

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Sue
Nice job, you are really handy! it looks just like mine now, except yours is a little bigger. It is harder to make the bed, but I got a long wooden shoe horn, that I use to push the sheet down with on the far side. Works pretty good.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby Queen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Beautiful work, Sue!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Sue that’s a genius idea to make side frames to be held in place by shelf! I’m glad you reposted this as I was considering how to put shelf in van wardrobe and forgot you mentioned that technique so no glue or screws! Thanks I see a task when I’m home!
MandysMom

Return to Show off your Rigs