Tow Vehicle

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Tow Vehicle

Postby WickedLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 am

Yesterday, Wednesday, I finally found a vehicle to tow my travel trailer. Hated to give up my Dodge Grand Caravan as it was so comfy and had so many great goodie options but it would not do the job of a tow vehicle with a maximum of 3500#s.
Been looking for months for a replacement that I could afford and now I have it...a 2005 GMC Savana G2500 van. I can also use it as a camper (the cargo area is totally carpeted) when I don't want to pull the trailer or if the gas prices skyrocket out of sight again. It has a class 4 hitch but I need to get an adapter for the 7 pin plug on the trailer as the van has the 4 way. I am getting hitch itch and want to grab Monty and head to AZ.

WickedLady

Re: Tow Vehicle

Postby Orchid » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 am

Nice looking van. A van is a very good alternative to the usual truck as a tow vehicle. I'm still thinking large SUV for my tow vehicle. But a van certainly would be nice. Cheryl
Orchid

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:21 am

Very nice. I like the idea of a van more than a truck also - most of them don't pull the necessary weight - so you are very lucky to have found one that does - and I like how that looks. Think of all the extra storage space you have - could even put a nice clothing rod back there :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 am

A van is an excellent choice, and a bonus that it can double as a camper when needed!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:56 am

Great idea - more storage!!!! Do you need stablizers (stabelizers ? stabalizers ? stableizers ? Why don't we have a spell check here) to prevent sway?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Echo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 am

Whoa! Way kool that you found a van like that. Fantastic idea on also using it as a camper if needed. There's a lot of people who have done van conversions to turn them into campers. There's a Yahoo group called 'vandwellers'. I use to read that list quite a bit cause my son has a van that a conversion. Some of the idea those people have come up with and done to their vans are awesome. And they do use them year round to live in. They call themselves stealth campers. :D
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:25 am

Spooky. I have been seeing this same style/color van almost every time I've been on the road lately. They seem to be very popular. In Alaska, before we got an RV, we had a Dodge Ramcharger (large SUV). We'd remove the back bench seat and use the entire back for sleeping when we took weekend trips. I always felt more secure sleeping in it vs a tent where a bear could get to us easily. :shock:
AlmostThere

Postby carold » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 am

Nice van. We've always had a van and fix up the back for sleeping. We used it for camping until we got our mh. Still have the latest one and use it when we don't want to take the mh. Have fun. carold
carold

Postby WickedLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Don't know about stabilizers but probably not. It has a payload capacity of 10,000# so by the time I get all my gear in it (and Monty's of course) it should be pretty stable :D .
The cargo area starts at the back of the front seats and is about 10 feet long so lots of space for everything, including portapotty, 12V cooler, coleman stove, etc. and still room to sleep.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Wow,... great van!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:10 pm

thats great, I miss my van, it was a conversion van too, although set up in the factory
with dual batteries, but I put a floor in it, twin bed, built a closet, cabinet and sink
and of course it had a porta potty. Spent the whole summer in it back in 2004 when
I went back to colorado for a bit.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby dpf » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Kewl...looks the the van that our friend, who own a wholesale green house, send me out on weekends with to deliver plants to their retail greenhouses! Lots and lots of room in it!
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Redetotry » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 am

Looks like a great find, congratulations!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Yep you can sleep in it! This is what my 75 yr old Aunt travels in and sleeps on a mat on the floor!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Return to Show off your Rigs