Who has a Class C they love?

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Who has a Class C they love?

Postby Queen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:51 am

My honey is still not sure about giving this another go, but is leaning towards something "top of the line" like a Born Free, in the mistaken notion it won't need maintenance. I'm not sure I want to sink so much money into the buy-in for a used BF so I thought I'd ask what you gals have, what you like and don't like about them.

So, if you don't mind sharing, what do you have (year/make/model), what do you love, what do you wish was different, do you pull a toad?

Thanks in advance for any info you'd care to share!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Re: Who has a Class C they love?

Postby Rufflesgurl » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:01 pm

All RVs need maintenance. I had a 35' diesel pusher Class A - loved the power and roominess. Always preferred to have a spotter backing up. Now I have a 2016 Winnebago Navion 24G (25.5' long) Class C diesel. Still getting used to a smaller MH and how it works. The hooking up is much different than the Class A which had side hinged storage doors. The Navion doesn't so it makes it more difficult to reach under to hook up - for me anyway. You might consider this about most Class Cs because of your knee problems. Have only backed into a site one time with the new RV and had a spotter but I'm sure it will be a lot easier to back up than the Class A. Still learning and practicing. Look at all kinds of MHs!! That's part of the fun.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby Queen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks, Linda. The hookup issue is big for me. If I could find an affordable quality A I'd go that route in a NY minute; I used to drive Semis and 30' straight box trucks (in downtown Chicago) for a living so backing up an A would be very comfortable and easy for me. I think the next time we hit an RV show I need to spend more time by the hook up door and less looking at all the pretty inside stuff. :D
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:04 pm

I also feel that a used top of the line is the way to go. I love my Coach House. The best part is it is 14 years old and no leaks. I consider it a Class C since it is a fiberglass shell mounted on a chassis. It isn't much larger than a van camper so you might have a problem with the size. Some of the newer ones have a slide or two. I like the Born Free too. We don't see many here and they don't stay for sale long. I also like the Phoenix Cruiser and Chinooks. The Chinooks aren't made any more but it looks like they hold up well.

You will have maintenance on all RV's. You have all the systems of a house and a vehicle. What gets me is all the problems people have with new RV's. You would think some manufacturers have no quality control. And some dealers want to get you off their lot and wash their hands of you. It doesn't make any sense to buy a new RV and have it sit on the dealers lot for months waiting to be fixed.

You really have to love RVing.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:27 pm

One of the gals I know got a Winnebago Vista 27N Class A. Love her layout, check it out, her hookups are easy to get to. Nice coach I think it is a 2013 or 2014

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Rufflesgurl » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Mickie - What I see first on RVs is the outside - love the pretty full body paint. I liked my Class A and I love my little Class C full body paint. The inside is very nice too, but you want most of what you like/need. There are always trade offs in my selections of RVs!! I do like pretty though!

If you are searching, good luck

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby elkriverrats » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:01 pm

I should start by saying I love the BF that I have seen online and if one had been available in our area, it would probably be in our driveway :)

We started looking last year to replace our 1992 29' C. Our first MH and I loved that old girl. However, with hubby working out of state, I got nervous about going solo in such an old rig - some of my trips would be so see him, about 2000 miles R/T. Also, the exterior maintenance was more than I felt I could tackle (roof sealing, etc).
My original plan was a class B. I had the fever for a Roadtrek, even though I had some doubts about it being too cramped when not going solo. Then we found a 27' 2003 Coach House Platinum for the same price as the class B and I fell in love! Not sure if this is technically a C or B+ MH.

I don't have any issues with the hookups. The electric, water, and sewer are all on the driver side and easily accessible on the side of the MH.
We have never had a toad on either camper, but both were set up for it. The CH has a manly tow package that I will never use but hubby was googley-eyed over it haha
The CH has many bells and whistles we did not have previously. Slide-out, hydraulic jacks, lots of handy push button features. Only time will tell if these items hold up well, but for now I am really enjoying them :) I don't think in our case it is less overall maintenance - probably more since there is more mechanical/electronic stuff that needs to be checked. Hoping for minimal problems since it is well made and newer.

What I like..
The body is a one piece shell, no leaks!
No bedroom - I may tire of this when hubby is home for good, but for now I love love love it. It has 3 couches, two of which make double beds (one is a slide out)
Love the big bathroom (also the changing area since there is no bedroom)
Big windows!
It seems to be very well built and solid (like the BF, it comes at a premium but we felt good about our decision). This also makes it a very quiet ride. I didn't think our old one was bad but the CH is quieter for sure.
It is a dream to drive, again our old C was not bad but I have not encountered any push or sway in the CH and it has power to spare.

What I don't like..
Miss the cab-over bunk
The interior storage areas are not as convenient. The CH is lined with cabinets over and under the couches but they are less than 12" high inside. There is one big closet in the bathroom. Its doable but I'm still evaluating and moving things every trip to make things more organized. One less exterior storage compartment makes a big difference!
No gas oven

Overall, it was a good decision for us. I'm using it every chance I get. Good luck with your decision! Take your time and look at every MH you can. Linda is right, that is part of the fun!
Kelly
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby Queen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Wow, thanks for the wonderful replies! Appreciate the things to consider and think about.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby gingerK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:04 pm

I have a 1995 Gulfstream Conquest Limited Edition, 20 footer. Near as I can tell, that just means some extra cosmetic additions to pretty it up. It's pretty much a normal MH otherwise. Driving it is becoming easier, but it does tend to be affected by crosswinds. Love to park it, she fits in a regular space. Also, because it's small and I have access to a large heated building, she stays inside during the winter. What I do not like about it, is that it has two drains for the tanks; they don't come together in a y-joint. So you have to dump the black then unscrew the hose and reconnect to the grey. And the grey isn't easy to reach, especially the valve. I'm on my knees to do it. As far as storage space, it's ok inside but outside is limited to one small storage bay. I've had to find places inside to put things I would otherwise store outside. But I like the layout and it's comfortable for me to drive.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:24 pm

I have a 2012 32' Fleetwood Tioga Ranger Class C. I bought new because I am allergic to dogs and cigarette smoke. It looks like this, except my bunks convert to a small two-person dinette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fojWIzT6PE The photos here show the convertible bunks in the hallway. http://www.northsidervs.com/rv/lexingto ... ranger+31n

Here is what I like:
- I like the size of my RV, but I am full-timing, so I needed and wanted more space than you do.
- I like the full paint because it will never fade and look crummy as it gets older.
- LOVE my slides! Each one is half the coach length, so it makes my space seem very large.
- I really like the kitchen and the amount of kitchen counter and storage space I have. I do a lot of baking, so a real oven was important to me.
- I also love the bedroom wardrobe for clothing storage. It has large, deep drawers and three closets: large one has optional shelves which I use to put folded shorts and long pants plus t-shirts, another smaller one I use for various jackets, and third one has my bedroom TV, which I cannot live without.
- Nearly all dinettes are really uncomfortable, so I took mine out and put in my leather recliner from home. I have always used that as my office, whether in my condo or here.
- The convertible dinette gives me room to eat if I want to eat there, and I love the underneath storage--very good place for hiding stuff.
- The bigger RV gave me more basement storage room than a smaller one would have. It also gave me more storage in the bathroom.
- The Ford E-450 chassis and engine is wonderful! Never overheats, even going over mountains in hottest weather. No problem with it whatsoever in four years and 78,000 miles. Noisy engine, but chugs along and is reliable, just like it should!
- It is an absolute MUST to have a built-in generator and mine has never caused me any problems.

Some things about my motorhome that you might find troublesome:
- The bed is only 68' long, known as a "short queen" and my feet stick out the bottom, even though I am only 5'1" tall.
- The shower is a step-up, meaning it is shorter than a lot of showers. It fits me fine, but maybe not taller people.
- There is only 1,300 pounds of available "cargo". "Cargo" means people, gas, water, sewage, clothing, kitchen junk, you name it, whatever you take with you. Since 99% of the time I travel alone, that is not a problem, but it would be possibly with more people.

Here is a blog where I ranted about some stuff I dislike. Note that part of the reason I have to stick my head in the hookup compartment to attach the sewer hose is that I am short and have short arms. http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/2016/02/ ... rhome.html
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Queen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Judy, I'm 5'10" and can't figure out who plans those interiors, I mean a lot of people are either tall or travel with someone tall, not sure why they'd make the bed intentionally short?

I remember in my folks C, dad (being a talented carpenter) rebuilt the bed platform and put in the king bed from the house. He said he wasn't traveling for months at a time in a tiny uncomfortable bed. LOL
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Azusateach » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:49 pm

We have a Thor A.C.E. 30.1 and love it. It's got 2 slides, lots of storage, and is very easy to drive.

We had some "must-haves": a pantry, television opposite of the main seating area, a walk-around bed, and nice outside storage. This rig fit the bill.

I know there were issues with the sewer location on your Class B. Often, on Class A rigs the sewer has its own compartment, so it's not under the rig & much easier to access.

There are a couple of companies that have "entry-level" Class A motorhomes that seem to be reasonably priced. Here's a link to Thor's rigs:

https://thormotorcoach.com/ace/floorplans/

We looked for a couple of years before we settled on our motorhome. And we've been to a few shows & dealerships since getting it and haven't found anything we like better. Makes us happy. :)

We initially thought about a Class C, but what cinched the deal for us on the A.C.E. was the drop-down bed and the placement of the TV. Having the big windshield in the front really opens up the rig, and the bed is out of the way unless we have the need for it.

I'm not being very articulate tonight, but you can check out the link to see what we've got, and how these "hybrid" Class A rigs give you the extra bed like a Class C, but with the other advantages of Class A rigs. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby Queen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Laura, we looked at a couple of rigs that had a nice comfy couch... and the only tv at a 90 degree angle away from the seating area. We sat on the couch and laughed "well, this will be very comfy for watching Buffy DVD's". :roll:
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Othersharon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 am

Mickie, I have a 07 Gulf Stream that I bought used just 2 years ago. Lola is 22' long but as I am tall too I have plenty of head room! That was a real issue with my RoadTrek. She has dual wheels on the rear and that actually makes me feel more stable. Wouldn't want to have her out in a big wind but otherwise no complaints. I have 2 couches that make down into beds and I can see where that could be a problem for some. Having a bedroom would be nice but didn't want the extra length, love having a "real" bathroom though! No oven just a 2 burner stove and microwave which is fine with me! I've had to be a bit more creative with the storage since there doesn't seem to be as much as the RT. Workable! I do have to get down low to get to the sewer hook up but is better then the RT. Oh, and the dealer called it a B+ but the state calls it a C.

I'm thinking that the hunt for a unit for the 2 of you will be easier for you now that you have experienced some of what you don't want/like. As it's said been said, the hunt is part of the fun. And you'll know when you find the right one!
Othersharon

Postby Queen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 am

This thread is so helpful, thanks so much, gals!! I've been reading it to Mary and it seems to be quelling her anxiety quite a bit. We are considering applying for a park position (NPS, FWS, BLM, USFS) that offers housing for our first post-retirement foray. Go out and see if we like the experience of volunteering in parks... if so, buy the RV and head out volunteering and workamping at least half the year. I, of course, want to ditch it all and full time, she, of course, wants to just take vacations in an RV, so we're working on a compromise. :D
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs