Kit has a new hat . . . er, vent

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Kit has a new hat . . . er, vent

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:38 am

Her previous owner had put a salvaged AC unit up there. Far too heavy for a molded fiberglass roof, in my opinion! Gone now, and a nice little vent is in its place.

Besides, the boys were here. Never waste volunteer muscle! :lol:

(Really have to stop calling them boys. Men!)
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Re: Kit has a new hat . . . er, vent

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:31 am

have you shown inside pics, and I have missed them ??? What a neat little tt, you'll have fun in that and shouldn't be that tough to pull.

Good luck getting her road worthy,
CArol :)
Carolinagal

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm

Probably a very good idea to reduce roof load! I agree, pictures ? I love volunteer labor, now if only I had some! LOL
Velda
MandysMom

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Cute! Both Kit & the 'kids' :D
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby snowball » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:26 pm

good idea been wanting to put a different type of vent in my 5th wheel (my mind is fogging blame it on the cold :lol: )
so can't think of the type fantastic good that is it!!! but can't decided which vent it would be good to replace believe it's in the bathroom.
at least that vent has a motor. been thinking of replacing the one over the bedroom or one in the living room ( have a 5th wheel)
open to suggestions if in the living room would need a remote type thing.
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Nice! But don't tell my mh that an ac is too heavy for a fiberglass roof :-)

Those asking, here's the original post on Kit: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12473&p=165961&hilit=+kit#p165961
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:43 am

Well, probably not too heavy for a full-sized motor home, eh, Beth? Kit is just a little girl! :lol:
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby MandysMom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Just saw a side picture of Sue's Casita (of Sue and her Canine Crew) and her AC looks just like what your smaller fiberglass trailer had and Sues AC was factory installed so apparently Fiberglass trailers ARE meant to carry a AC up top. If you look up Sues blog today's post has a perfect side view of her BLT-best little trailer, as she calls hers) with the AC. She bought her rig new in I think 2012.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby gingerK » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for the link Beth, now I remember when Louise found Kit. It's possible that Sue's Casita has a reinforced roof and can carry the extra weight of an ac unit where Kit may not have been so reinforced. Did you add a Fantastic Fan to the vent, Louise? I enjoyed the picture of the two "boys" peeking over the roof, too :D
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Velda, you're right about RVSue's trailer -- but it was built for her just a few years ago, with an AC included in the original design. Kit was built in 1985 and originally had only a fan. I've run into a few owners of these little old trailers who had trouble with bowing on the sides, making the door fit poorly, because of too much extra weight on the roof. I figured I'd rather get rid of the AC than try to make internal support structures and reset the door. I'm really not that great at hanging doors.

No, I just put in the vent, Ginger -- though the Fantastic Fan sounds good. I figure I'll make a muffin fan when my oldest computer fails completely, and use a small battery fan until then.

Yeah, the boys are pretty cute. Not that I'd ever say that to them, because they'd roll their eyes. Oldest son is back in NYC now, alas, so the volunteer muscle is not available. Still, that was the one thing I knew I couldn't handle myself, so I figure I was lucky they were here for a bit.

Before we put on the interior trim for the van, I pulled back the ugly old headliner strip.

Good thing I did, too, because I found these.

These trailers originally had small solar panels on top, just enough to provide a trickle charge for the battery. Whoever removed this one just plugged the bolt holes with paste -- and it looks like silicone, too. Not a real problem, and this is a good time to fix it. I've already ordered the chopped fiberglass. ;)
Louise
havingfunnow

Return to Show off your Rigs