Goodbye Flitter

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Goodbye Flitter

Postby Bethers » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:12 pm

The only time I had to pass a trike on the road, it scared the hell out of me. Windy, curvy roads and any bike scares me, put me on a downhill, come around a curve and have a truck in the oncoming lane and a regular bike sharing my lane scares me. The time it was a trike I quit breathing. I know there wasn't more than a couple inches between the truck and me, and probably the same between me and the trike.

Just commenting. Those are cute, truly are. I'm just always happier when I'm not sharing the road with them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Aminton » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:04 pm

I am very anxious to hear how you like your Pleasure Way. I have been researching, driving, inspecting, and watching YouTube videos about full-time RVer's RVs and I just keep coming back to the Pleasure Way. Would really love the Plateau XL if I can manage to afford it, and it would have to be a year or two old. I keep going back and forth on size, but the Class B works for me. At least in theory. I like the idea that I can park it anywhere, on the street, a driveway, middle of nowhere and It doesn't scream "I am an RV." For the past few months, I have been mentally calculating what I can do without. And when I think about sizing down to the very barest of necessities, I actually feel a sense of freedom, a huge relief, not dread. It might sound silly, but I have actually been experimenting with living in only one room of my "way-too-large-for-me condo," just to see how it feels. As long as I have a place to relax, read, work, and sleep. I'm fine. (Again, in theory.) I've also been looking at a Winnebago ERA C70, and though I at first thought it perfect, after further consideration, the sofa bed arrangement does not look all that comfortable. But someone with an ERA C70 might disagree. If so I'd love to hear from you. The big issue it seems to me with the Class B is that you often have a trade off. You can have a comfortable seating and sleeping area OR a dry bath, but it is hard to have both. Anyway, didn't mean to go on and on, but would love to hear about your Pleasure Way experience. I've tenatively set my departure date for Spring 2116. I've still got a lot of "considering" to do.
Aminton

Postby Othersharon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:29 am

Evie, congrats on your new rig! Love the name! I traded up to a small C from my RoadTrek and it's been a trade off of some good points and some not so good. I found I had lots od storage in the RT but not having the bathroom was a pain for me and I didn't even realize it! I love having my little bathroom in Lola. Surprisingly I don't think I have near the storage now. But I do love having my own little bathroom with its shower stall, small though it is! I'm still finding out I don't need or use certain things I thought I would need so out it goes! I've picked up lots of tips here and realize there's a learning curve with each rv we've had over the years. After a couple of jaunts I bet you'll be quite comfortable with Sere! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!
Othersharon

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Evie, how are you liking your new rig? Have you had a chance to take it out much yet?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Pooker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:12 am

Sorry, guys, I didn't realize there had been questions posted about how I like Serendipity. I have only been out 4 times with her, but I'm heading out for 3 nights the Sun. after Christmas. I checked out oodles of "B's" before actually settling on Sere. She is an Excel and has more storage than many of the other models I've seen. I dragged along a lot of stuff in Flitter that I learned to do without. Flitter had amazing storage capacity. The small stepladder had to go. And the extra 2 chairs. And I still have 3 storage containers of stuff in my garden shed that I know will have to disappear someday, but I'm just not ready to part with yet.

I looked at two Era's while searching. I love the look of them, but I remember the first one had a spare tire mounted on the back door which was too heavy for me to move in order to get into the rear storage. The sewer dump valve was tucked a bit under the back bumper and would make it impossible for me to use. After all, the reason for switching from Flitter was to make life easier for these chores. Oh, yes, my son and I also realized that the bathroom door didn't have a latch on the inside! It was designed to open straight across the aisle to give you dressing room, I guess, but if you just wanted a quick visit and go in and close the door there wasn't a release latch inside that I could find. I could just imagine me yelling for someone to come let me out of the bathroom!

So far, the only difficulties I have are bonking my head constantly coming in or out the side door and on the wonderful overhead cabinets, but I'm starting to get into duck mode without thinking. The other problem is how to use the tiny fridge freezer. It's just large enough for an ice cube tray with 4" head room over it. My Lean Cuisines won't fit the depth! Some B's have a larger freezer compartment, I believe. However, I probably won't take any long trips now - at least not alone, so I'm learning to prepare (chop, dice, slice) ahead of time at home.

Thanks for asking - I really love her! And she drives like a dream!

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Glad you are happy with her! Each one has a new learning curve.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby TarheelBornGal » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:01 pm

cmcdar wrote:Actually, that trike pictured above is an "ELF" and it is made in North Carolina. (Love 'em)

http://organictransit.com/

Wow, thanks for sharing that! I am from that part of NC and had not heard about them yet. VERY cool. According to the FAQ, they are classified as bicycles so are legal to ride anywhere bikes are. However, they did say that some states/jurisdictions may have different rules for electric-assist bicycles. Since this is a very new concept, the rules are still in flux. I love the looks, rain protection, and solar panel. :D

As an avid cyclist, I'd be a bit nervous about riding one of these on a road, since it might freak drivers out. However, in some ways it is similar to an Amish horse & buggy in Amish country, and these are found frequently on the roadways in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and other places. As slow-moving vehicles, they keep as far right as practical and safe, and it is up to cars and trucks (and RVs) to slow down and pass only when it is safe to do so. If there is oncoming traffic, it's best for motor vehicles to wait to pass and not try to squeeze by any of these types of vehicles (Amish buggies, trikes, and even regular bicycles if the road is narrow). Far better to wait a few seconds than to risk your own life or someone else's. :(

But since I know motorists in a hurry will continue to try to squeeze by slow-moving vehicles on the road, I am not sure I'd dare ride an Elf on a roadway. But I sure would like to!
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby snowball » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:59 pm

I like those ELF's would be fun to have or at least to see
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:18 pm

I'd hate coming across one on the road as a driver. It's dangerous enough when I was driving through mountains and a curve, a car towards me a bike in my lane. I was terrified and I know I barely squeezed by that biker. One those, impossible.

In Amish country I expect the buggies.

Sorry, but while these really are adorable, if they ever get popular I'll truly be scared frtdgfer-less to have to pass one on the road. Emily, you have way more guts than me you'd ride it on the roads.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby TarheelBornGal » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Bethers wrote:Sorry, but while these really are adorable, if they ever get popular I'll truly be scared frtdgfer-less to have to pass one on the road. Emily, you have way more guts than me you'd ride it on the roads.

Well, as I said, I am not sure I'd dare ride one on a road. BUT, that said, if you should ever come upon one of them as you're driving, SLOW DOWN, don't even attempt to pass until the oncoming lane is empty. Unless you're transporting a pregnant woman in labor, there's no reason you couldn't wait until it's safe to pass. :D

Cheers,
Emily
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:36 pm

TarheelBornGal wrote:
Bethers wrote:Sorry, but while these really are adorable, if they ever get popular I'll truly be scared frtdgfer-less to have to pass one on the road. Emily, you have way more guts than me you'd ride it on the roads.

Well, as I said, I am not sure I'd dare ride one on a road. BUT, that said, if you should ever come upon one of them as you're driving, SLOW DOWN, don't even attempt to pass until the oncoming lane is empty. Unless you're transporting a pregnant woman in labor, there's no reason you couldn't wait until it's safe to pass. :D

Cheers,
Emily

The speed limit is 60 miles an hour. You're on a downhill and even though you don't have to, you slow down to 50 at a curve. There's no shoulder. As you come around the curve a truck is barreling up towards you and the bike is right there in your lane.

Yes, this happened to me. Yes, I was driving my rv so had even less lane to give up. Yes, I ended up between the truck and bicyclist. No I wasn't breathing. And, yes, I've hated sharing the road ever since and could no longer be paid to ride a bike on most roads.

Believe me, that's not the only time slowing down for a bike hasn't been possible. And usually the bicyclist is further in the land than they should be. Heck, recently I had to share my lane with one who wasn't using the provided bike lane.
Beth
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:26 am

when I said I'd like one was visualizing riding it out in the desert or in Q that type of place
sheila
snowball

Previous

Return to Show off your Rigs