Goodbye Flitter

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Goodbye Flitter

Postby Pooker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:33 am

I traded Flitter, my Itasca Spirit Class C, for a 2013 Pleasure Way that is almost new because there are only 4500 miles on it. I have been picking away at this decision in my brain for a couple of years now. It was getting physically hard for me to level, set up, etc. with all the getting up and down, in and out that was required. And the old gal was starting to show her age with cracked and peeling graphics, shredding upholstery, etc. It was either make the decision to hang up the keys, or go into debt for a small RV. I'm hoping to buy myself a few more years doing this lifestyle/hobby we all love. But I'm shedding buckets of tears for Flitter. I'll really miss her! And I'll especially miss her oodles of storage!

I am leaning toward the name of Serendipity (and call her Sere) for the new rig. Serendipity means "making lucky discoveries by chance" and finding this rig was definitely that since I stumbled upon the listing by accident and had never heard of the dealer. I'm hoping she will take me to other new lucky discoveries.

Now, all you sisters who manage to run around in a "B", please give me lots of hints and pointers. I really need ideas for storage (or lack of) since I'm used to hauling everything imaginable around with me because I had the space. Now I can't even figure where I can put a wastebasket! Or poor Elsa's litter!

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Re: Goodbye Flitter

Postby gingerK » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:40 am

Evie congratulations on your new rig! Serendipity sounds like a very good name. Even though I have a C, I'm kind of in the same boat as Angel has very limited storage space. I actually have more storage in Pony (my truck camper) than I do in Angel so I'm trying to figure out what to keep and where to put it, too.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:08 am

Hey Evie!!! Exciting news...I am sure you will grow to love the smaller rig. Yes, our elder bodies wear out too! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:09 am

Evie, you will figure it out. Start with the priorities...litter box, a few clothes, some food, a comfortable camp chair, etc. Leave the other stuff behind.....and camp with friends (Sharon 8-) ) and borrow what you don't have room for....:-)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby mtngal » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 am

Great news Evie! You will LOVE driving your 'B'! My only suggestion (like Tina) is too keep it simple to begin. I find that while there are many little nooks and crannies to store things, if I can't see or easily access they don't get used! Wishing you many miles of happy trails!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Congrats Evie. Enjoy your travels in your new RV. I wonder if I ever traded down from a Class A diesel where would I put everything in a smaller rig!! You will find a way.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Congratulations! I too drive a B, a Leisure Travel Van. Once you show us your floor plan we can add ideas. For instance I can put stuff under the sofa in mine but don't know if you have a sofa. I carry nested pans and a small skillet but not a lot in kitchen. Can't wait to see pice of Serendipity! I wish I was clever with names but in 10 years mine is still called The Van here!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:28 pm

how neat I'm sure that you will adjust
hope to see you again this winter
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Congrats on the "B"! Love the name Serendipity! I have thought about getting a used "B" van myself.

Does it have a hitch on the back? If so, you could put a hitch mounted cargo carrier on there that could hold more things.

Like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/60-Folding-Tr ... r/30415120

Can't wait to see pics!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:25 am

Oh, Evie, this is exciting news. I know how much you loved Flitter and hope you find the same enjoyment and love with Sere! I'll look forward to seeing her.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:32 pm

What a great name for her!
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Pooker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for the votes of confidence, everyone. My lists have lists! And my patio and carport are rapidly disappearing under all the "stuff" my son and I are removing from Flitter. Doesn't help that it's over 100 degrees every day this week! We only get a small window of time early in the morning as soon as the gated RV parking lot opens. Some of my supplies (like the nested pans) are holdovers from early, early days in tent or pop-up. OMG - are they really that old? YUP!

Velda: I do have a sofa - an electric one that becomes a bed. I may take the advice of many who say leave it made up as a bed and toss a bunch of throw pillows on it. Layout is a typical Pleasure Way with sofa across the back, bathroom on driver's side, and kitchen on passenger side. Very few cabinets that aren't cluttered with electronic wires, water pump, etc.

Barbie: It does have a hitch, but a carrier would be in the way of the back doors that give access to the under sofa storage.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Redetotry » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:33 am

Congratulations Evie, I have an '03 Pleasure Way Excel and I wish there was more storage space outside. I don't like carrying my lawn chair inside as finding a place for it isn't easy. I do seem to have enough inside storage for my 'stuff' but I have a third seat so no counter space which to me is really annoying as makes it impossible to prepare food. I have the enclosed bathroom which is very tiny but like that is is enclosed. Otherwise I really like it as it rides and drives really well. I have cloth seats which to me feel softer than leather. I usually leave my couch (which is very comfortable) down but then no place to sit as my front seats supposedly swivel but I think the swivel must have swizzled out! Pleasure Ways have a good reputation as you probably know and mine still looks new on the inside. I am getting some paint loss but attribute that to leaving it out during one of the coldest winters ever here. Anxious to see you layout and hear how you like it after your first outing!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:28 am

The main thing is you are not giving up your love for traveling and visiting yet !!! The rest will work itself out. We all carry more then we need, always, the more storage the more we carry and I for one have found I don't use most of it. For this trip, really eliminated a lot of stuff I hadn't used in forever, just seemed so much nicer leaving my driveway, not cluttered up. When I dig my chair out, I'm not having stuff fall on me or worse yet, having to pull a lot of stuff out to get to it. :oops: :lol:

Tina, had a great idea, put what you think you need in and then camp with Sharon and OOPs if you forgot something she is sure to have :D Will help you know the must haves and what you don't need.

Good Luck, Evie, so glad you are continuing on, my goal is to keep going until I don't feel its safe, until then, I'm enjoying my travels and this rig isn't all that bad to set up, if I find an unlevel spot, which I try not to do :roll: :D

Keep us posted,
CArol :)
Carolinagal

Postby sharon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:49 am

BirdbyBird wrote:Evie, you will figure it out. Start with the priorities...litter box, a few clothes, some food, a comfortable camp chair, etc. Leave the other stuff behind.....and camp with friends (Sharon 8-) ) and borrow what you don't have room for....:-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs