painting interior

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

painting interior

Postby snowball » Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 pm

because it is a decorating question not a maintenance question choose to post here if wrong move me ok?
I'm in a mood to change the interior of the inside of my fifth wheel...it has a wallpaper look not sure what it is but not
fabric so can it be painted if so what is advised and issues if you've done it?
sheila
snowball

Re: painting interior

Postby retiredhappy » Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 am

I painted all the cabinets in my Class C because they had an orangey finish that I hated. I also "painted" all the fabric because it was an icky blueish color. You just get the fabric medium that you add to latex paint and voila - new color. I also changed all the cabinet latches and handles - can you believe there there 30, yes 30, handles in that damn RV.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby snowball » Thu May 28, 2015 10:17 pm

I actually like my cabinets so won't be painting them or at least I don't plan on it :roll: but it's the walls and ceiling I want to paint
again it's not fabric but what looks like wall paper and the border that goes around know it is as I put some over the one they had going around :lol:
just don't want to pain then have it flack off so want to know if i need to put a base coat on first then the color I want?
sheila
snowball

Postby grammynmaggie » Fri May 29, 2015 4:55 am

I have painted over wall paper many many times the only time you would have a problem is this the wallpaper is loose from the wall and I doubt that is a problem in an RV sometimes in an old house you might have that problem just go for it sounds wonderful I love changing things around also
PS..I used to remodel houses
grammynmaggie

Postby Birdie » Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 am

Sheila, try a paint test spot in an out of the way spot, like under the dinette. See if it will 'cover' the patterns in the wall paper. If it won't cover look at using Kilz to cover the wall paper and then after it is good and dry paint it. Hope you are going with an exciting to you color!

I ran across some really neat paint Tuesday afternoon. It is the dry erase paint! I thought it was so neat. When I get my retired and not traveling in an RV anymore I will definitely have a couple of spots in my "then" kitchen and office to write on!

Good luck and keep us posted.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby avalen » Sat May 30, 2015 10:01 am

I started to do that too, years ago but never finished it. However, my son in law is a painter and I checked with him about the painting, some of the border was loose and it was advised to just remove it as it was the regular "paper" kind. Little steam
worked well and all the border has been removed around the livingroom and dining area. The rest of the wallpaper is the vinyl pressed on, clean real good with the tsp and then do a coat of kilz. After the kilz you just paint as normal. So thats the advice
I got from him.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Sun May 31, 2015 12:14 am

Thanks all....the kilz was what I was trying to remember...what I am thinking right now is doing the bedroom
and see how it goes..haven't even looked at paint but did see a bedroom in a recent Woman's World that I liked
will have to look at it more...
again thanks
sheila
snowball

Postby dpf » Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 pm

Sheila, you have cooked in your unit a lot. I would suggest that you wash the walls with trisodium phosphate (TSP) before you try to paint them.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby snowball » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 pm

I was washing the ceiling today in the kitchen which needs painting even if I don't do the walls
in the main part of the fifth wheel and thought I think I'll need to wash these again..so thanks for the tip
i saw Ava mention the tsp just didn't soak in so thank you both for the heads up on it...where do I find it?
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:03 am

We have bought it in both liquid and powdered form at Home Depot as well as Walmart in the paint department. Use gloves and protect your eyes.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 pm

thanks Velda
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:21 am

You are welcome. Glad to help when I can.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:57 pm

Just saw this post. I painted my bedroom in Myrtle, recently. I read somewhere that someone recommended Glidden and that is what they sell at Walmart. I used the one with the primer in it (the all-in-one). Note: A little goes a long way. Rick advised me to buy a gallon and I don't think I even used a quart. Depends on how much actual wall there is. If you were closer, I would share. It's a pretty light turquoise color. I removed my window treatments. Yep! Those frame/valance thingies, with the day/night shades attached. I hung the trim at home roll blinds, hung rods and made curtains from the sari I wore at my DS's wedding. I love it! I also ripped out the bed. I ordered a full size bed and comfy mattress from Walmart.com. I can still store things under it and get to them easier than lifting that other bed. I also took out and sold my sofa. I have my recliner and it is much roomier, now. I use the seat belts for my awning tie downs. They're perfect for that! If I need to take the awning in in a hurry, I can just unclick the buckles 8-) I have A LOT of cupboard handles, so been spray painting them, instead of buying new ones. Thinking of an RV change, so don't want to invest too much more money and time. If I do keep Myrtle, I will also paint the dining/living room, hang mini blinds and have my DD crochet valances. I enjoy making it feel more homey. Don't be afraid!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Birdie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:44 am

Sheila, if you use the Kilz, you won't need primer and the regular paint will be great. The Kilz seals the wallpaper to prevent matter from leaching through. The TSP is a neutralizer of growth items, but it does not seal.

With the painting and stain I have been doing on my sister house I used the TSP to neutralize the stripping material on the wood floor and the Kilz on the ceiling consisting of old wallboard. I used the paint with primer on a wallboard that was new and had been textured. But, I would not do that again on the other walls I am preparing to paint. On them I plan to prime the new wallboard and then use regular paint as the walls will be textured and the paint with primer does not like the texture we are using (neither do I). I will Kilz the ceiling as it is old wallboard but the walls are all new. And GOSH I hate painting in white....but it is my sister's house! Think I could introduce her to colors on the wall and do a bright white ceiling?

Keeps us posted on what you decide and pics on what you are doing.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby snowball » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:55 pm

so far all I've done is wipe down walls in the living room/kitchen I think since the bed room is smaller it will
be the room I start on but not sure when I will even start...I'm so easily swayed...so I never know what colors
I want and where to begin which is why I still have a yard of weeds that I can do anything I want with it...and right
now it is weeds!!! not that that is what I want :roll:
when I do anything I'll let you all know
sheila
snowball

Return to Show off your Rigs