Well I Did It...Colt's Home - Kind of

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Well I Did It...

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks ladies - I'm excited! Wish it wasn't Sunday so I could be calling insurance & storage places. Yes Kathy - thought you'd appreciate the sink... and a medicine cabinet too :lol:

One more question. Since I'll be learning hitching & everything , I found this on YouTube. Amazon carries it for the same $ as the mfgr website. A little pricey, but I'm thinking it would be a good idea since I'll be doing this alone, plus I could also use on the bumper of the TT when backing into a campsite. What's your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsC6eadXS4
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MandysMom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:46 pm

That looks handy but don't pay attention to me, I don't own a towable.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:41 pm

I don't think the price is too high for that and think it would make the job much easier by yourself. I'd go for it. (Said by a woman who got rid of her first backup camera on her Class C - but I do like the one I currently have - and my need is not as much as yours, IMHO, and that looks like it'd do the job you need).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Congrutulations!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Colliemom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:58 am

Congrats Cheryl, you are going to love it. As to getting what you need, I have A Rhino Flex sewer hose, plus an additional section of it in case I should happen to be farther away from a hookup than my hose will fit. Another thing you might want to do s like I did, buy some clear plastic bins. I have one for my sewer hoses and anything sewer related, one for water hoses and anything water related, ditonfor electrical too. Also buy another 25ft, of electrical cord, not the cheaper extension cord, but the heavy duty black cord like your trailer has. You are going to find places where your trailers cord might not reach to the electrical box. And yes, get adapters for 30 to 50 amps, 20 to 30 etc. in case you run into a box with only one like Melissa said. I can tell you all kinds of little tricks but we should GTG some time. You can also see some of my ideas in Show Of Your Rigs thread where I posted some. You are doing to have so much fun. Have any questions, just PM me.Oh yeah, also get some Lynx Levelersvor carry a couple of 2x10 boards to put under yourvtires if you find yourself on an uneven campsite.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Othersharon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 am

Congrats, Cheryl! Looks like a nice unit. Now you just need to get it to its new home so you can make it yours! The only thing I can think of to add is maybe a shower head. Mine got replaced pretty quick! My mind is blank as to what I got but it's the one that lots of the gals recommended here. Oxie something. Have fun and hope to see it down the road!
Othersharon

Postby dayspring39 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 am

Oh Cheryl that is wonderful! The only advice I can make is make lists... do not buy a lot of things until you know you truly need them...
Happily awaiting your first adventure with pictures to go with it!!!
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby snowball » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:29 am

we found a shower head that turns off at the shower head that way when you turn on your water and off as your
taking the shower you don't have to readjust the temps :lol:
sheila
snowball

Postby Birdie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Congratulations! You will have such fun with your new home. I started with a 17' TT. Got me hooked on living the life.

List 'stuff'. Don't drive it until it is insured....not even home. Ask the lady that driving home her new uninsured rig stopped at the gas station and bumped a concrete post! Ooooppps!

Does the hitch have a wheel that is removable or permanent? Mine was removable and I needed a pair of pliers to remove the 'thingy' and a holder for the base after I removed wheel. I placed the pliers just inside the back of my tow vehicle with the chocks, and tongue holder and a spot to place the 'thingy' for holding the wheel. The camera is neat for hitching up, but a cheaper route is the magnetic colored stick that you knock off when you are over the ball. The camera only helps a certain amount backing into a spot as it normally cannot give you a 180* view. There could be a limb up there just waiting to whack the top back....ask me how I know that.

I used a heavy duty coated metal locking wire to lock my two propane cyclinders together and then onto the TT. (I only did that after someone stole one!) Think bicycle locking wire.

If you don't get a freebie sewer hose, look at the hose that will push together and then becomes very small. It should come with a variable connector for the ground sewer pipe. But look around don't just buy one because someone said it was best. If you don't have room for the plastic box, there are black plastic bags.

For my Progessive EMS box I used a silver ink permanent marker and wrote my last name and phone number on it. Right now that is the only thing I worry about someone taking. All the other stuff is much less expensive and most people won't bother it, but if I had a propane tank that was removable, I'd probably lock it down to the rig....and also put my name in permanent marker on it!

My mantra is, do not tempt anyone beyond what they are able to resist. Will send some sunshine your way so you can go practice. Now go have fun!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Redetotry » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:46 am

I just saw this CONGRATULATIONS! It is beautiful, love the floor especially. I know you are anxious to get it ready to go especially now that the weather is getting better. Enjoy!!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby monik7 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Sorry for this late post, but I've been on the road with little, spotty, or no service. So congratulations. It looks fantastic.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Congratulations! I would ask for a starter kit when you go back for your walk through. Ask lots of questions during your walk thru and make sure everything is in working order. They should let you stay a night or two on the lot, or in a nearby campground, to check everything out. I would have to say that besides my surge guard, the one think I have always been happy that I bought for Myrtle is the Oxygenics hand held shower head. Saves water and gives you better water pressure than the stock one. Happy travels!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 am

4 days to pick-up! I ran up there yesterday to drop off a TV for installation and inquired if anything was included in the purchase price. Nada, but they give a minimal gift card to the store, so did a first stop at Walmart yesterday & and least picked up 2 lengths of water hoses (white & blue (yes Beth multiple colors)) sewer hose, trailering mirrors from Farm & Fleet and a few misc odds & ends.

My bro-in-law told me I could go thru the kitchen cabinets and see if there were any pots & pans I would want since he doubts he'll be cooking much now that my sis is gone. Little did he know, I've been slowing buying some things over the last few years & have a cedar chest and 2 plastic bins in the garage with stuff :lol:

Weather might be cooler on pick-up day Friday which is OK, but there may be a chance of showers, which I really hope doesn't happen :shock: . My bro-in-law is coming with me (used to drive semis and panel trucks), and if it rains I may make him drive it home.

Oh ~ and decided to go with a decided to go with a Master lock coupler lock just for my own peace of mind.
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-379ATPY-Universal-Trailer/dp/B000L9QRE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426431284&sr=8-1&keywords=master+lock+coupler+lock
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby longdog2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:03 pm

A lot of RV Sales places have gone with a gift card rather than including things like the sewer hose, water hose, etc., and if it isn't your first RV, that is kind of nice. The parts they used to include were generally really cheap ones so using the gift card for one better quality item and buying the rest from Walmart or online is a good way to go. Then you quality that will last a while.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Re: Well I Did It...Colt's Home - Kind of

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:47 am

Picked-up Colt yesterday. Mar-E was a champ - no labor pains :lol:

It was a long day tho, 1 hr 45 minutes drive up, orientation, paper work, some minor shopping in the store (i.e. couple lock) then automatic tongue jack installed and the demo on that.

I drove the entire way home, BIL was proud that I stayed in the center of the lane. Then the semis started coming by :shock: Got used to that bit of wind push quickly and by the time we pulled off the highway to the storage place, I was already a pro at passing semis! I will confess tho that BIL did the backing up into the spot. I think we were both tired (he worked till 1 AM and was on little sleep) so we figured it was just going to be easier if he backed in.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the backing in figured out soon enough, but the Blue Ox sway bar contraption has me a little worried. Unhitching everything took us about an hour to figure out and the tec warned us that unlocking the sway bars may have some kick back. It was even hard for BIL to pull the bar to unlock them. Sure hope I have enough strength and leverage to do it on my own so I warned him he may have to go camping with me forever. :D

Took some video of the orientation, but haven't even check it yet. With the new Go Pro I think I blew it a couple of times. We'll see. Hope to get some pics soon but the storage place is not the prettiest.
Cheryl

IrishIroamed

PreviousNext

Return to Show off your Rigs