Well I Did It...Colt's Home - Kind of

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Well I Did It...Colt's Home - Kind of

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Wasn't sure what to name this post. Thought about heaven help me...or watch out ladies I'll be on the road :lol:
(On Edit) I forgot Mar-E got her Colt!!

Bought a 2015 Shadow Cruiser 195WSB TT. It's got everything I was looking for. Wasn't really looking for a slide, but it definitely makes it roomier. So if I do start full-timing in 2 years per "the plan" , I could live in it for a while.

Saw it at the show & checked it out at a couple of places, so got show price plus some more $$$ off. A little more $$$ more than I wanted to spend, but it will be paid off within a year (no way I'm paying 10 years :o )

Can't bring it home until I find storage & get insurance. I'm hoping for an opening in the storage lot that is 1 block away, but they were full for now.

So now the question to you ladies is what are the absolutely have-to-have's before I pick it up. Already have a Blue Ox Sway system being put on, and talked to them about a hitch lock, but what else? I'm thinking some of these but don't know what I need first or all of them :shock:
Sewer Hose
Drinking water hose
Surge protector (30,50 or both)
Voltage regulator
Surge guard lock
Wheel lock
Wheel choks
Propane lock
Battery lock

Not my pics but here's what it looks like

Wish me luck!!! I'll need it.
Last edited by IrishIroamed on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Well I Did It...

Postby MandysMom » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Congratulations. It looks beautiful. Many happy travels ahead.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby cnq50b » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:29 pm

So exciting!!!! It looks nice & roomy.
Time for the dreaming & planning to begin!

I'm sure the more experienced will answer your questions on what you need, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby longdog2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Nice looking travel trailer. You will definitely need the first three items right off. I would suggest a 25' and a 10' water hose to start so you can do short hookups, medium length, and up to 35' by hooking together. As far as the surge protector, you need 30 or 50 depending on the voltage for your rig. I'm guessing 30 since it is a smaller travel trailer but be sure to check. You may want to get a 30 to 50 amp connector just in case you run into a place that only has 50 amp hookups....not too common though so no big rush. You can probably find the water hoses and sewer hose at Walmart for much less than at an RV store.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Since you purchased new, do NOT purchase some of those things until you find out what they are providing. You might end up wanting to upgrade some of what is provided, but they should have a "package" including the sewer hose and some other goodies. Since I didn't get a tt - do not know whether the goodies provided will differ from what they gave with my C.

Nice looking and I think you'll be happy with your choice.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:11 pm

oh wow, its very nice
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Cheryl, how exciting,,,good for you! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby chalet05 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:44 pm

Congratulations, Cheryl! Very exciting and a nice floorplan!

My opinion is don't buy a Surge Guard. Look at Progressive Industries which has lifetime warranty. They have portable and hard wired. You can also get a remote display for the surge protectors that will show you the voltage which you can mount in the trailer. You only need one - whatever your trailer amp is - I also assume 30.

RV compartments for propane do not have locks so while you can lock the tanks down, I believe it is illegal to make the valves non-accessible. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Wheel chocks definitely, but I have never used the wheel locks on 5ers so can't speak about those.

I agree with Beth, wait and see what comes with the trailer.

Enjoy!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Irmi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Good for you, Cheryl! I'm so happy for you!
Irmi

Postby MelissaD » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Congrats

You might also want to think about an upgraded fan in the bathroom to help cool off the trailer. Fan-tastic makes a good vent fan and with a vent cover like the MaxAir ( I have 2 of them) or Fan-tactics version you can run your fan or have the vent open in the rain. Dealer can install this for you.

Walmart is awesome. Often same stuff but cheaper.

Sewer Hose - I like the Rhino brand and you might want to look for a support like the Camco Sidewinder http://www.walmart.com/ip/29764423? it's stiffer and easier to work with than some of the others.

Also a clear pipe segment like http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... pter/16835 allows you to see if you got everything nasty flushed out of your tanks.

Drinking water hose - as others have suggested. I like the plastic end it's easier to grip.

Surge protector (30,50 or both) - I'm sure you have a 30 amp rig so I second the Progressive Industry 30 amp EMS (energy management system) system http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm either installed inside the TT with a remote display or the post. I prefer the internal so it's protected and I don't have to think about it. Also the PI system has a lifetime warranty vs the 1 year Surge Guard has.

Voltage regulator - not required if you have a Progressive Industry EMS. The PI or Surge Guard will shut off the power until voltage returns to normal. There are voltage regulators but the cost vs the actual need is low. I personally don't know of anyone actually using one, I've only read of a couple of people in RV.net that use them. Not that common.

Surge guard lock - not required if installed inside TT.

Wheel lock - if they want the tire that bad I'll by a new tire. If your talking about stabilizing the trailer by locking the two wheels together then I recommend X-Chock http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... pack/49876

Wheel chocks - I carry 4 just incase I lose 1.

Propane lock - you can lock the bottles but can not restrict access to the valves. I don't lock mine so if there is an emergency I can remove then from them from the trailer.

Battery lock - my battery is inside a locked compartment

What I don't see is a water pressure regulator. I like this one http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... Am768P8HAQ cause I can adjust the pressure and it has a higher flow rate than the $10 kind that they may give you with your new TT. More flow means a better shower.

You'll also want a 50 amp male to 30 amp female http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... male/27987 The handles are nice for "pulling the plug" keeps your fingers out of the way. Also if the 30 amp outlet is worn you can use the 50 amp plug. According to the boards the all in one "hockey puck" style tend to overheat and breakdown.

There are tons of gadgets on the market. Get the basics and see which of the toys you actually need. Buy them as you need them.
I find these use full
Dump Station wrench http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... ench/70031
Drain hose wrench http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/kw ... Ajif8P8HAQ

Also a box of latex gloves for handling stinky things.

Enjoy... :lol:
MelissaD

Postby snowball » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:25 pm

age is catching up with me as I was reading the postings thought of something and now it's gone!!! remember :lol:
you probably know this but you want the white hose for water there is times when you might need the other
but for your water going into the tank white or when you are hooked up to city water
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 pm

They actually make different colored hoses for water now - just make sure it's for drinking water (mine right now is blue). But you'll still see the white ones most often.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:11 am

How exciting!!!!! Can't wait to see more when you get it home.

Because of the deep discount (manu special plus show discount) on my MH, it came with nothing and there was no negotiating for even a sewer hose - both Nan and I tried. The factory rep and dealer stood firm on that issue. Thus I ended up having to purchase all extras. However you might be more fortunate and it never hurts to ask.

The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby gingerK » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 am

Cheryl she's absolutely perfect! Exactly everything you wanted even the flooring! I'm so excited for you! Now get her home and we MUST plan our first trip!

p.s. I notice she has a sink in the bathroom!!!! :lol:
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby judi » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 am

Congratulations! Best wishes for many happy miles!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs