Kit

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Kit

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:33 am

Haha! Yes, my son suggested purple thunderbolts on the exterior! :lol: :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Cudedog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:05 pm

havingfunnow wrote:I made a little excursion to the Peoria area last weekend, and look what followed me home! :D

Her name is Kit. She's a vintage fiberglass trailer, 13 feet including the tongue, weight about 1200 lbs. She tows like there's nothing there.

She's going to be a bit of a project -- but oh, my, what fun!

Oh! What a cutie! I absolutely love projects of this kind (see my van project link below). After looking at your post, I immediately went on Craig's List and found one - Yikes! $7500!!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/4408038083.html

A bit out of my price range for a total "project" trailer (judging from the photos, it looks like a project to me), but interesting none the less.

Have fun, and please keep us posted on your progress!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby sharon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 pm

awww...how cute is that! I see lots and lots of adventures for you and The William!!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Irmi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 pm

You did good! Take lots of before and after pics!
Irmi

Postby WickedLady » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Fantastic find. Good on ya! Have fun with it.
WickedLady

Postby Queen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

That is so cool!!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Oh, no, Anne -- I paid less than half that for Kit. I have seen a few beautifully restored trailers selling in that range, but a project trailer shouldn't. Of course, I've been looking around for a couple of years to find the best balance of project and price! ;) If you get interested in fiberglass trailers, there's an active forum and a dedicated sale site to check out.

Coming home, I found that hauling Kit is a lot like walking The William -- people keep smiling and waving. Fun!

Tina, I plan to take her camping around the end of the month. She won't be pretty yet, but she'll be functional. I don't know if I'll get to Kansas or not; I bought Stratford tickets, and I'll have to see what the chances are of changing the dates.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 pm

havingfunnow wrote:...Coming home, I found that hauling Kit is a lot like walking The William -- people keep smiling and waving. Fun!

That made me chuckle!

I was noticing that the cushions look to be in really good shape, considering Kit's history.
Can't wait to see what you do to her, so keep that camera handy...
mitch5252

Postby Deeann » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 pm

You don't have to replace that stove top. It can be sanded down and repainted. Just be sure to use high temperature paint (like for car engines, bbq grills, etc.) And be sure to use high temp primer too.

Be careful about throwing anything away. Some of these older parts are impossible to find. Throw away that stove top and you may end up having to buy a new stove; and finding one that fits the space may be very hard, or even impossible. And that could lead to carpentry work, plumbing work for the gas line, etc.

I love to take what I have and redo it. That's more fun than replacing, and you'll be able to keep your retro look. You can always replace it if your refurbishing effort fails. The plus to all of this is that you will be learning new skills that will help you to maintain your trailer in the future. Paying to have everything done for you will be expensive and you'll never learn how to do it yourself.

Be careful working on your propane lines. NEVER use compression fittings. ALWAYS use the proper flare fittings. If you don't know anything about plumbing or electrical, get some help.

And enjoy your project!
Deeann

Postby gingerK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Congrats! Kit is quite a cutie! Now you def. need to make it to Kansas so we can all ooh and aah over her!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby monik7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 pm

That is just sooooo cute! What fun to have a project like that. Hope you keep us all in the loop with lots of pics as you progress. Congrats!!!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Yakn1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Your U Haul is a cutie!
If you would like to find more info on those adorable eggs, check out the Fiberglass RV Forum. Super people and lots to read and learn...lots of good stuff!
Have fun!

Vicki
I'm not lost, I'm on an adventure!
Yakn1

Postby Lopo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I've restored 3 vintage trailers, and yes, it's great that this one is fiberglass! Big whew for you! :) If you need ideas, support, parts, etc., there's a good free forum called Vintage Trailer Talk. And there are some inexpensive little two-burner cooktops on ebay, and vintagetrailersupply.com might have handle parts you need. Have fun! :)
Lopo

Postby cpatinjones » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Congratulations.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:55 am

One of the things I love about this forum is the way people share information -- and enthusiasm! Thank you all so much!
Louise
havingfunnow

PreviousNext

Return to Show off your Rigs