Slide Covers?

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Slide Covers?

Postby cnq50b » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 am

sharon wrote:Got them, you absolutely should get them before you pick up your new house. ... You like to camp in the trees once in a while. It rains a lot where you live. You're short. You need a slide cover. :mrgreen:

I love the directness of this group! No messing around, no soft-shoeing - just telling it like it is. Love it! :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby MelissaD » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Pro's and Con's to slide covers.

Personally I don't have them. It was quoted around $1,200 for my 3 slides. I debate back and forth about spending the money.
I have a broom with a tilting head and cut at a 45 deg angle with a telescoping handle I got at Aldi for around $10. I can stand on the ground and sweep off the top of my slides.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Telescopic-handle-brooms-and-brushes_662685608.html The handle is like 12' long when open.

Con: They can flap in the wind and some claim if it gets cold, they can freeze and not roll up right. IF something does blow up in there you may not be able to see it or reach it to remove it. Harder to inspect and perform maintenances on you top seal.

Pro: Keep the sun off the slide and helps keep slide area cooler inside. Debris can just roll off when you close your slide. Read you need to replace the material part every couple of years.

You are suppose to wipe the inner and outer seals down with a UV protector/lubricant twice a year and lubricate the slide mechanism. Honestly I have it done in the spring and fall when I have the RV serviced. Since I have an extended service plan with my dealer, I have them to all the maintenance. This avoids any questions about if it was serviced correctly. If they performed all the maintenance they shouldn't be able to claim it was not done correctly ;)

Well, that's my 2 cents :D
MelissaD

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 pm

MelissaD wrote:Pro's and Con's to slide covers.

Con: They can flap in the wind and some claim if it gets cold, they can freeze and not roll up right. IF something does blow up in there you may not be able to see it or reach it to remove it. Harder to inspect and perform maintenances on you top seal.

Never found mine to flap - at all. They never froze and never didn't roll up properly - my rig is 15 years old now. But you do still have to take a peek - especially when under trees, etc, but for the most part, much easier than if I didn't have one.

Pro: Keep the sun off the slide and helps keep slide area cooler inside. Debris can just roll off when you close your slide. Read you need to replace the material part every couple of years.

Have never had to replace the material (in 15 years)

The comments in red are my responses to some of what Melissa said. I do not believe everyone needs the covers. I personally would not have a slide without them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:58 am

Flapping is a function of how wide and long the slide is. The slides in TT's and 5er's tend (but not always) to be deeper and longer than the Class A's and C's (since they still need to function when closed). The further they extend (how deep) is a major cause of the flap.

Slide depths
12' - 30" in a Class A or C on average
TT and 5er's 36" to 42' are not uncommon.

Some thoughts from RV.net aka Good Sam message boards.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23465270/print/true.cfm

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27258633/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Bottom line is it's a personal choice.
MelissaD

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:58 pm

We proved about the opinions.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is leaks. Often water will get inside when the slide is brought in wet. That never happened with me and two couples who I Workamped with solved it in their rigs by adding the toppers. Last winter the couple next to me added one for that reason.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Bethers wrote:We proved about the opinions.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is leaks. Often water will get inside when the slide is brought in wet. That never happened with me and two couples who I Workamped with solved it in their rigs by adding the toppers. Last winter the couple next to me added one for that reason.

I wouldn't say it happens often. We don't have slide toppers because of multiple reasons listed, plus the fact that there's no way for Ronnie to move around when the slide is closed. We've had this TH for over 5 years & it rains a lot in Louisiana! Only once did we have water come in & I think it was because of the slight slant where we were parked & very hard rain.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby longdog2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:33 pm

I've never had any problems with water when pulling in the slides either and I don't have toppers. A good slide seal should push the water off as the slide comes in. Comments on the forums listed by Melissa pretty much present the same comments. As Melissa said Bottom line is personal choice.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby cpatinjones » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:32 pm

I had them installed on my rv. Don't remember brand.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:05 am

Personal choice here....no toppers....seen too many "gone with the wind".....and no leaks when bring in the slides....But after being parked for any length of time, one of us always climbs the ladder to check the tops of things before "moving on"....JMO.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 am

ok - here's another newbie dumb question. For the full-timers, do you keep a full size ladder & where is it stored? Or are you carrying an extension ladder or telescoping ladder that takes up less space?
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Travelinana » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:31 am

Since I still have my Jayco., I will do the baby powder thing....why not put the sock on your hand, sure seems easier....don't have to worry about slide maintenance on Funny Girl but I'm amazed at the space inside...I had a 24' Chinook Motor Home and the arrangement inside left very little move around room...For Mitch's info I need lots of practice backing this baby..my brother backed into the garage...now the fun begins.. I have a perfect place to go practice not far from my house..Got my permanent license yesterday.
Nancy & Rudy Image
Finding wealth in what you are and not what you have. Living with less is living well indeed.
~Gigi Galluzzo
Travelinana

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 am

The space inside of that little Funny Girl truly is amazing, especially if you're not schlepping a kid or two to occupy the bunks! I'm concerned about the storage inside the new trailer (which as of now, is unnamed), although I did promise myself to learn to pack less. I need to have my bro give me a lesson - the guy can go for an entire long weekend packed in nothing but a slightly oversized dopp kit! And he's trained the wife to do so, too!

Now, I'm not a full-timer, but the new trailer will have a single slide. After researching the pros and cons, I have decided to not go for the slide cover. Instead, I have bought this little ladder, weighing in at 16 lbs., for the occasional climb to sweep/squeegee the slide off...($116, no tax, no shipping - build.com)

mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 am

Just think, Mitch, with that ladder along when you rinse down a dusty trailer :) you probably won't leave a distinguishing line defining the top fourth....thus allowing the neighbor's dogs make fun of your short vertical challenges..... :)

Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby sharon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Tina!!! :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am

BirdbyBird wrote:Just think, Mitch, with that ladder along when you rinse down a dusty trailer :) you probably won't leave a distinguishing line defining the top fourth....thus allowing the neighbor's dogs make fun of your short vertical challenges..... :)

Maybe next time, I'll need to park next to a tall neighbor...

mitch5252

PreviousNext

Return to Show off your Rigs