Slide Covers?

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Slide Covers?

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:17 am

Those of you who have slides, what are your opinions on slide covers?

Yes?
No?
Brand?
Quality?

Now let's prove to the newbees that we do, indeed, have many opinions!! :mrgreen:
mitch5252

Re: Slide Covers?

Postby Azusateach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:56 am

When I got my new trailer it came without a slide cover. After talking with lots of people over a year's time I decided to go ahead an get one. It was largely because I didn't want to have to climb the ladder and check to see if there was any debris on the slide before bringing it back in. This way I know that whatever's on the cover will be rolled off when I retract the slide. Also, my guru-repair guy said that water can pool on top of the slide, and when you bring it in all that water can end up inside your rig -- NOT something I wanted to experience.

So, I got one. Mitch, if you tell me the different brands (I think there were 2 I looked at), I can tell you which one I got. Can't remember. Actually, I think it was the Carefree. Didn't buy the one with the cover thingy -- it's a basic one, but still good quality.

I'm glad I have it. Gives me that peace of mind I like to have when camping.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 am

From what i can find, the two manufacturers are Carefree and Dometic. My new dealer quoted me $410 installed on the slide, medium quality one. I'll research the different models. I just don't want to spend the $410 right now because we ALL know that a new trailer requires new "stuff", so I'll be spending myself right into Bagladyhood...(although my financial advisor says NOT)

mitch5252

Postby monik7 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:20 am

Mine came with covers, but if it didn't I would definitely get them. I know my awning is Carefree so I suspect the slide covers are the same.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am

Another slide question - do you maintain your inside and outside seals with baby powder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X701hbSO_ko

mitch5252

Postby Azusateach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:49 am

mitch5252 wrote:..
Another slide question - do you maintain your inside and outside seals with baby powder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X701hbSO_ko

I don't. Never heard of it. I'll check the video out at home (can't look at youtube at school). I'm wondering what it does to the slides.

What I DO do, however, is grease them once a year -- meaning that I've done it once. ;) I use white lithium grease and simply spray it on the "cogs" (for lack of a better description. My repair guy said that it isn't necessary to spray the track/teeth, as spraying the cog thingy will coat the track as the slide is extended & retracted.

Mitch, $410 is about what I paid for mine to be purchased & installed. I was told that part of the cost depends on the length of the slide, so there might be a little negotiating room there. My slide cover was 12' long. If you don't have a ladder on your trailer to inspect the slide EVERY time you bring it in, I'd spend the money now and forget about it.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby avalen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:29 pm

my slide doesn't have one, never thought I needed one since I couldn't use the awning cause of the wind, thought the little awning over the slide could be ripped also by the wind. Its just something I never considered I really needed. (although I'm up to considering it on my next rig)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby judi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I didn't know about slide covers so I googled it and Camping World is having a sale. Check it out.

Dometic SlideTopper
(12 Reviews) Add A Review
Catalog Item # 20393d
Internet SALE
from $234.99 SAVE $30.00
- See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... cRoOu.dpuf
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby grammynmaggie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Mine came with a cover..
if it had not I would surely get one...
I just saw that video with the baby powder
on YouTube last week and I'm going to do it...
I put silicone spray on the slide underneath...
so that's what I do for my slide..... any other info would be great...
grammynmaggie

Postby Trixie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Mine did not have any slide covers when I was purchasing it, however, I had them put them on the four slides before I did purchase it. Like some of the others on here, I knew they would let the debris and water slide off when I retracted the slides, so seemed like a win win situation for us. Plus it keeps it cooler in the hot sun....just mho. :|
2012 Keystone Avalanche 5th Wheel
2008 Chevy Silverado 350 Dually
Trixie

Postby sharon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Got them, you absolutely should get them before you pick up your new house. I have Carefree...I think. I'll go out and look and get back to you. You like to camp in the trees once in a while. It rains a lot where you live. You're short. You need a slide cover. :mrgreen:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby longdog2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Baby powder works well on the seals and is easy to use. Don't have slide covers. People either love them or hate them. They can make a heck of a racket in the wind and be a real pain if something does get under them. I have seen people putting beach balls, etc., under them because they were sagging.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby skeedaddle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:10 pm

if i knew how to use this android phone to put pics..i would...anyway..this is a 2005 Fleetwood flair..we had to replace all the slide covers..just this past year..they were rags..
3 slides..2 long..1 short..a guy came out to the campground..did it in..3 hrs..$1300..
but before we close up to leave..been here..oh..7 months..
we'll hafta use leaf blower to blow out.
hoping for a chance to make our life ...better.. O:-)
vera
skeedaddle

Postby Bethers » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 pm

I wouldn't get a rig with a slide without the topper.

First I've heard of the baby powder. Guess I should have been using it, eh? But my slide has been pretty much maintenance free for me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 am

I don't have them wish we had gotten them but dh didn't think we would need them and when he could climb the ladder and sweep them off we didn't I would like them now...but batteries and a few other things come first will have to put them on the wish list
sheila
snowball

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs