Photos of my Van Conversion - Part IV

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Photos of my Van Conversion - Part IV

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:59 pm

I have been inspired both by "Mavericks" announcement of her new van, and also by Beth's posting of the photo of the interesting van conversion.

Thanks, to you both! :D

So I have decided to work on my blog today (am staying warm and just fine in my house with central heating!).

I have just posted "Part IV" of the conversion process (I tend to forget why this took so long to do, looking at these photos sure reminds me!).

Take a look: (THE VAN heading is a pull-down menu, and will show parts I to IV - and V, I hope later today:

http://heartdogs.net/wordpress/

Any problems looking, please let me know. I am new at blogging, and WordPress has a really steep learning curve (at least for me!).

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Photos of my Van Conversion - Part IV

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I cannot even begin to tell you how impressed I am with all you have done. I don't even know the names of the tools you would have needed, let alone how to use them.

Awesome job ... and it looks great. As the build was continuing I was wondering about the 2nd bed and how necessary it was. I can just imagine the extra space you have when it's out - and how nice it is to have it when you do have a companion with. Another great feature - making those so easily removable.

My hats are off to you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Great job! I would say "camper van" over "motorhome" since it isn't self-contained.
I was also wondering about the second bed. But without it, you could put in a table of sorts for cooking, eating, etc. Also more room for a porta potti :o .

Do you have any lighting back there? Can you get out the back doors in an emergency?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Bethers wrote:I cannot even begin to tell you how impressed I am with all you have done. I don't even know the names of the tools you would have needed, let alone how to use them.

Awesome job ... and it looks great. As the build was continuing I was wondering about the 2nd bed and how necessary it was. I can just imagine the extra space you have when it's out - and how nice it is to have it when you do have a companion with. Another great feature - making those so easily removable.

My hats are off to you.

Well. . . thank you very much, Beth. You make me blush! :oops: Only this blush is with a smile.

I don't have any particular construction skills. I have just always liked to work with my hands, and have always enjoyed building stuff is all. The tools I used were these (none especially unusual or special):

hacksaw (just your normal, garden-variety): about $1.98
racheting screwdriver (could have used a regular one, but with the number of screws and bolts used, this was much easier) about $10.00
hammer (old hammer left to me by my Dad)
Cheapo electric jig saw: about $39.00
30-year-old electric drill (forget how much I paid for it)
A few dozen drill bits (because they would wear out quickly when drilling metal; also they broke a lot)
Safety glasses: about $2.99
Cloth Respirator mask: about 5.00 each (used several - replaced them when they got dirty. Didn't want to breathe sawdust and styrofoam dust)
Crescent wrenches and socket wrenches of various sizes (mostly used to drive in self-tapping screws into the metal)
Various clamps and holders for cutting the wood paneling

That's about it, really. Perhaps better - and fancier - tools might have shortened the construction process - or maybe not. Would I ever take on a project like this again?

Er. . . no, thank you.

But it sure was fun!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:10 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Great job! I would say "camper van" over "motorhome" since it isn't self-contained.
I was also wondering about the second bed. But without it, you could put in a table of sorts for cooking, eating, etc. Also more room for a porta potti :o .

Do you have any lighting back there? Can you get out the back doors in an emergency?

Hi Barbara!

Yes, definitely a "camper van" by definition. Hadn't thought of it this way, but you are correct I think.

I do have a porta-potti that lives under the dog crates, that I can drag out at night. I haven't had to use it yet because I have been able to park near the restrooms in the campgrounds I have stayed at thus far. I was very resistant to the idea of a porta potti for quite a while, until I got closer to completion and realized that I didn't want to have to hike a half mile to the restroom at pitch-black midnight.

The lighting I use thus far (I am looking for a small electric bed-side lamp for when I have hookups) is the Coleman rechargeable lantern recommended by Vickie, Mitch and others:

http://www.womenrv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11125

This really is a quality item, perfect for my needs so far, and the battery really does last eight or nine hours! Amazing!! Thanks again for the recommendation, ladies!! :D I never would have know about this one had you not suggested it.

I place the lantern on top of the dog crate nearest the bed; the dog crate is my "headboard". :lol:

Yes, the back doors offer an immediate escape route, whether the second bed is in there or not.

I also put reflectix on the windows at night - helps with the heating, and adds privacy.

Thanks for asking!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby avalen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:59 pm

thats great! makes me miss my old blue van that I did almost the same thing to. Almost motivates me to do another one cause I've got
all the stuff I need now to do it again, well, except the van :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MelissaD » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Cudedog wrote: Would I ever take on a project like this again?

Er. . . no, thank you.

But it sure was fun!

Anne

:lol: I think that says it all :lol: With age comes wisdom and with that wisdom is the concept of..... I'll just buy one :D

On a serious note: well done.
MelissaD

Postby Deeann » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:42 am

Anne, you did a great job on the van! You put lots of thought into building it. It will give you many years of camping fun and roaming the country. Let the adventure begin!
Deeann

Postby snowball » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:54 am

very impressive!
too much for my brain tonight but it looks really great
sheila
snowball

Postby gingerK » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:52 am

Wonderful job! Love what you've done! The a/c unit was especially neat!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Return to Show off your Rigs