Rosie, my wonderful Roadtrek

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Rosie, my wonderful Roadtrek

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:36 am

Now that I've had Rosie for a year here are a few of my thoughts. Do I miss my 30' rig? Absolutely not. Its so much easier to jump in Rosie and take off without days of planning and loading.

I LOVE that I can pull into any gas station and whip a U-turn when my GPS takes me down a deadend road. That I can EASILY back it into any site. I can use it to sightsee or for that trip to Walmart. Yeah, its sort of a nuisance to have to unhook so I use a 'quick release" on the water hose and just leave the hose at the park. Don't hook sewer up until I want to dump and since I most often get just a water and electric site to save money that's not a real issue. Do have to make sure stuff is stowed and not loose but in such a small rig you want to keep stuff put away most of the time anyway. If its hot in the rig while I'm shopping, I just turn the generator on and the AC for the dogs. I had gotten to the point that I no longer enjoyed the driving part of my big rig especially when I was towing.

I bought the 190 that had two "twin" beds (not really as wide as a real twin) so Carole could travel with me sometimes. When she's not along I can make the bed up into a queen but it was annoying to have to schooch off the bed in the middle of the night. Finally figured out I could make a real twin across the back -plenty of room for me and the dogs AND a place to sit.

Also, am getting around 12 to 14 mpg which is much better than the 8 mpg I was averaging in my big rig.

The only thing I don't like too much is the aisle shower cause in my older rig the shower pan runs the full length of the rig up to the driver's seat. Lots of wiping after a shower. So thank God for baby wipes and Navy showers. Don't think I could fulltime in such a small rig but some do.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Rosie, my wonderful Roadtrek

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 am

Karen, I don't remember what you had before - a Class C?

I'm glad you and the pups love the rig!! :)

mitch5252

Postby Liz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:13 am

Sometimes I miss my Roadtrek, especially when driving. But I do appreciate my shower in the ClassC.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Redwahine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 am

Really glad you enjoy Rosie.
Redwahine

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 am

As Goldilocks said about Baby Bear's chair, "It was just right." :D
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby judi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Karen, I agree with everything you said about your Roadtrek. I love mine! I'm lucky to have the shower inside the "wet" bathroom so that makes it easier. My RT suits me perfectly for my lifestyle right now.
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby Cudedog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Would love to see some photos of "Rosie"!

Thanks!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:00 pm

I had a new experience in my Leisure travel this past summer. In past DH and I have made many week or shorter trips in the van with no problem. Our longest were trip home from Canada where she was made, a trip of about six weeks and a month long trip a few years later. Is it crowded? Yes. We take turns getting dressed and he sits on the bed while I cook. We finally figured out it was quite a bit easier on getting out of bed if made it like twin beds by leaving the table platform out that makes it a king size. Easier to climb out at night. Anyhow, now that the rig is past 8 yrs old I had a chance to be alone in her for the week hubby was in the hospital. I switched to sleeping crosswise which was more comfortable and stowed stuff in chairs up front. Food wise I had planned carefully and did not need anything I did not have. It was difficult in that it turned out to be the hottest week of the year with every single day over 105 and some 112, so the AC had trouble keeping up sitting there with no shade. I did have full hookups and left the AC set for 85 each day as I left to go up to be with hubby which I did to keep from overworking the AC and to help the fridge a little. I did find the fridge was likely not cold enough which slightly shortened the life of some foods even though ice stayed hard. It was stressful with hubby's major surgery and time in ICU but it was so nice to have my own bed and place to recharge each night.
We have had a few challenges along the way though overall the LT van has been good. Our generator went out under warranty years ago then ran until a trip a year or so ago and refused again to start. Need to get it over to be pulled And fixed. Chassis wise the Sprinter has been wonderful. That little diesel has been great. In fall 2010 we drove from Sacramento over 50 down 80 and 88, a very high climb. Filled up in Sac before leaving then again south of Carson City. Checked, then double checked my mileage and we got 28 mpg.i was shocked. Around town we usually get around 16 to 18 and on flat roads usually 22 to 25. My only thought on the really good 28 was, finally the diesel is getting broke in! The really amusing thing is , hubby bought a PT Cruiser in fall of 2010 to be our around town car. We are lucky to get 17 mpg with it!!
I would buy another LT but with needing more space for two cats and disabled son we will get rid od 40 ft old bus Nd add a 32 to 34 ft class A to the family fleet next year sometime we hope. On I can drive and big enough for us all. I will keep my LT for short trips and because I can park anywhere easily. We have joked around our house for years as hubby tried over and over to get me a older really fancy diesel Mercedes but I never found one I liked until I saw my first Sprinter. My words were and are, now there is a Mercedes I can fall in love with.
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Karen, I love your RT. Actually love most all RT's. Just isn't quite big enough for me, especially the fridge, for full-timing. If I ever went down to part-timing, would definitely consider one. I'm so glad you're happy with your decision!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:06 pm

My only issue with Class B's is the cost. They seem to all be very expensive, a lot more than Class C's. Not sure why that is tho.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Redetotry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:14 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:My only issue with Class B's is the cost. They seem to all be very expensive, a lot more than Class C's. Not sure why that is tho.

I've heard it is in the construction, they cut the top of a regular cargo van and sort of reassemble it, very time consuming.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Return to Show off your Rigs