modern rig

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

modern rig

Postby judi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:24 pm

This is not my rig but I sure love it!

Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Re: modern rig

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:05 pm

I do, too!
I'd like to see the rest.
Why don't you buy it and then take more pictures...k?
mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Okay, it looks easy to wipe down and clean but does it look warm, inviting and homey? Might take some of the creative parts and blend them in with those impractical useless features that we find in other units..... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Looks a little too contemporary and "hospitalish" (a new word?) for my taste. (Maybe I am looking for the word "sterile"or "industrial"?). Kind of reminds me of the Jetson's home. :lol:

I guess I like more color and personality. To each their own, tho! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby judi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:13 pm

I love the clean simple lines. The atmosphere can be "cozied up" with pillows and other stuff. I sent an email to the architect, who happens to live here in Portland.
For more pics http://tinyhousetalk.com/modern-motorhome-tiny-house/
Judi
Portland, Oregon

you can steer yourself
judi

Postby cnq50b » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Love it!! I'm not very good at 'cozying' things up but I'm learning with my van. I just love the open space & clean lines. Thanks for posting the link to more views, Judi. :D
I absolutely love it!
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

I LOVE it, too! Ah, if only I had a spare million hidden away somewhere, I get that in a heartbeat!
I could spend the rest of my days happily wiping fingerprints off of every surface.
That's about the coolest RV i've seen.
mitch5252

Postby judi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Why are at least some RV interiors not more modern and clean looking? I wish I could design the darn things!
Judi
Portland, Oregon

you can steer yourself
judi

Postby JoanE » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I love it too. So much easier to clean without carpet or fuzzy surfaces. It would be plenty cozy once all my stuff was in it.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby JudyJB » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:08 pm

I was thinking the other day about the carpet and fuzzy surfaces they put in RVs. I think all the designers really care about is having the units look good in an RV show or in a showroom. They really don't live in them, so they could care less about practical.

For example, wood finishes seem to be the big thing these days. They problem is that the trim on the cabinets collect dust and we know how dusty these things can get after a day on the road. In addition, once you buy one, you discover that many of the surfaces that looked so good when you bought it are really fake and you can't fasten anything to them.

I think I would easily go more for more clean lines and fewer dust catchers, and being able to have surfaces that are not textured and that you can attach things to more easily. I would also like more practical window coverings that were washable and more easily repairable. (I already have one broken string in my blinds.)

The one thing I do see wrong with the "modern" RV is that there aren't enough cabinets.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Aokay » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Love this. Why can't more efficient design be put in RVs? After living in mine fulltime this past 3 months, I can think of so many ways improvements and efficiency could be acquired by simple techniques...

Like JudyJB said, we could do without the carpet and fuzzy surfaces entirely. Clean lines and fewer dust collecting crevices would be so much better. I would, however, have to have a double sink.

Has this design been implemented yet? I would be interested in seeing the finished produce. It seems that no matter who manufactures the motorhomes, they all are characteristically alike....kind of like tract housing.

Judy
Aokay

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:57 pm

I love the efficient design. Not so much all the white. But that's easily taken care of.

RV's used to be much more efficient. Blame it on all the people who have never had one, that want the fancy schmancy stuff that takes away cabinet space etc. Winnebago is one of the worst at removing good useful storage for rounded sinks, pedestals, etc ... they seem to be starting back in the other direction a little. But people come looking and ooh and ahh at the wrong things, until they actually live in one. Especially full-time.

One of my biggest problems trying to stay in the 22-24 or 25 foot length (would consider 26) is that I look at rigs all the time, and would lose inside storage space galore. I'm not willing to do that. I'll probably have to a little, all because of designs to "please" people on the sales floor - not in living in the rig.

This design is excellent - great storage, great use of space. I love that aspect of it. And I'm sure if I could afford one, he'd be willing to give me something other than all white. But that would only happen if I did something I never do and bought a lottery ticket, then actually won :) . All this said, looking at the pictures from the exterior view, I'm not seeing any storage there at all. Not even seeing vents etc, but only can see the one side.

I also just realized how he gets lots of that space - these are not Class C's really, because you do not have access from the cab. So it's kind of like a permanent truck camper. I found his blog and do not see that either of his rv designs have ever been built, but not sure about that.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Beth,
Can I ask what specific storage the new rigs don't have that older rigs did have? I look for storage on my 'look sees', and check out the basements, kitchen, wardrobe in the BR, under dinette benches, over cab (or if can be converted). But by your comment's, maybe I'm missing something.
Thanks
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Cheryl, I only have a 22' rig. But it has a floor to ceiling storage in the kitchen, and another wider one in the bathroom. The bathroom also has a cabinet over the sink way bigger than what a medicine cabinet holds, and a big cabinet under my sink - for a tiny little bathroom, it's amazing. Most now are lucky to have a cabinet under the sink at all ... no other floor to ceiling, and some the medicine cabinet is so dinky as to almost not be worthwhile. My corner bed has the overhead storage including a shirt closet. You can still find those, but more often they just make the overhead longer - so without that floor to ceiling storage that is really supposed to be for the kitchen, you might not have any hanging space.

If you go to a 24' rig, it'll have my bedroom cabinets, often without the shirt closet. Only a medicine cabinet and maybe a dinky under sink cabinet - but some don't have that and put in fancy pedestal sinks instead. It won't have the floor to ceiling cabinet, in most cases. It will have a clothes closet and drawers. That MIGHT make up for part of the missing cabinets, but not all.

Many kitchens make the cabinet next to the microwave not as deep as the microwave. Mine is - so has extra depth.

If they give the cubic feet of storage, most 24-25 feet models inside storage is less than mine ... and that just infuriates me. Doesn't mean I won't end up with one of them ... but I know they can do better.

They claim it's because they give the larger outside storage. That can work for some ... and I would like a little bit more outside, but often that one big outside storage space is hard to use ... having to move things around ... unless you are lucky like Liz with a sil who organized it for her so well :) My valves for my black and grey tanks are in a cabinet - so while my tanks aren't heated, they are enclosed. And in that cabinet I can fit some things -like some sewer connections, and an outside rug, and my orange leveling blocks. I have other outside storage, also - that gets other things - instead of everything trying to go in one compartment. Now, I'd love that big compartment, but not losing the others, or losing my inside storage.

My under my couch storage is great, also - complete space under couch. I can access it from both inside and outside. So stuff I want easy access to is easy to access from inside. Stuff I use outside, is put near that access point.

I have to say ... when you look at the older rigs, the storage made more sense. IMHO

Oh, this rig comes with a table for in front of the couch. It stores behind the couch - slides right in. And the two chairs (which I've tossed) had a space specifically for them in the overcab area - without taking away space from the queen bed up there - which I turned into storage also.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby judi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 pm

What you see in the pictures is a concept - that's how we architects work. Since the architect lives in the same city, I emailed him and he said he would collaborate with me to design one and have it built, but I don't know how possible it is to make the design and interiors fit a certain budget. I have a little Roadtrek but I dream of having a larger rig if I decide to travel for a year or so. Right now my RT meets my needs. So it's all a dream....

Judi
Portland, Oregon

you can steer yourself
judi

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs