Photos of my van conversion - Part III

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Photos of my van conversion - Part III

Postby Cudedog » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Part III: Photos of my van conversion (aka the neverending story. Or maybe the job from hell)

Here we go again.

Since I didn't include a photo of the passenger side, I am including it here for future reference - this before I started the job (notice the fancy black - and totally useless - factory-installed door coverings, which had to be removed):

Once I had the insulation in the walls and ceiling, it was time to put in the feathering stips (these particular 8-footers are for the ceiling) to which I would later attach wooden paneling.

This kind of took forever, and was heart-stoppingly tense. The forever part was measure, measure and measure again and hope for the best. The heart-stoppers were the fact that I had to take my drill with the special metal-piercing drill bits and drill into the metal ribs of the van, hoping I didn't also puncture through the skin of the van, always a bit of a risk because I had to lean on the drill with all my strengh to get it to drill into the metal rib in the first place.

Also needed to drill the wood (to put in the self-tapping screws). The really hard part was measuring so that the holes in the wood precisely matched the holes in the metal.

Since I was always working alone (which is why I'm not in any of the pictures - I was/am the photographer too), there wasn't anyone to hold things up for me, and I'm not physically strong enough to hold the heavy drill and the wood against the ceiling, and then drill through both the wood and the metal at the same time. Couldn't do it, so it was measure, measure, measure and drill the board. If the holes didn't match then that particular board was toast. With no jam.

Once the drilling was done, and the holes matched, there was still the small problem of holding an awkward eight-foot length of wood up tight enough against the ceiling long enough to get the screws in. By myself.

This is now I solved that problem:

and

And another one:

Notice the wiring on the driver's side in the above photo. The wiring needed to have a feathering strip above and below the wiring in order to isolate it. Accidentally drilling through vehicle wiring is a BIG no-no. I may be many things, but an electrician I am most surely not.

Why the phone book, you might ask? Well, hey, ya never know when a gal's gotta make a call, eh? Just sayin. . . :D

Unfortunately, some of my bracing boards were about an inch too short to brace the ceiling feather. The phone book gave it the extra needed height. The extra "oomph" so to speak. Just don't tell Ma Bell.

Here are (some) of the ceiling feathering strips installed. There are a total of six. Two in the ceiling, and two driver side, two passenger side. It took me about seven (7) hours to put in *each* individual one of these feathering strips: measure-measure-measure, drill metal, drill wood, match holes, brace strips (where did I put that #@@!! phone book, anyway???), screw in self-tapping metal screws every six inches. Whew.

You will also notice that now all of the nasty duct tape is gone, and has been replaced with semi-clear Tyvek tape. Don't you think it looks a lot better? Works a lot better too.

Feathering strips looking out the back door (count 'em: seven on view. Total of about ten - the lower one's do not show in the photo, and an upper to the left of the photo was not yet installed. Ignore the messy garage. What's a girl gonna do? Work on her van or clean the garage? You got it!!

A few days went by, and I was pretty proud of myself. I had about decided NOT to put insulation on the wheel wells - too hard, and who needs to insulate stinkin' wheel wells anyway?!? Until one hot day I came home from work and put my head in the van. It was hotter in there than I thought it should be, what with all the insulation I had done. The insulated walls were cool to the touch. What the hey. . .?

Then I put my hand on the inside wheel well, and nearly got burned. It was literally too hot to touch. Back to the wheel-well insulation drawing board. Dang!

This was really a toughie. As mentioned before, I am no great shakes with the measuring tape, and since the wheel well is curved, it did not lend itself well to tracing a template, although I tried several times with dismal results. What to do? This:

The 1/2 inch styrofoam had a *tiny* bit of bend to it (although not much - the thicker stuff would just break). So what I did was layer it on, securing it with Tyvek tape (and later a kind of wooden tie-down). After the layering, I put on a 1" front piece, and taped it securely to the layering.

This photo shows the factory-installed fancy black door coverings removed, to be replaced with. . . very good, you guessed it! More insulation. . . :|

Ok, so now (several months in) I *finally* have all of the insulation in the walls. Or so I think. . .

But then when I installed the feathering strips (which were 3/4" wide) the walls are no longer smooth. I know that I am going to install majorly flimsy wooden paneling - and if this paneling does not have support behind it, it would probably be pretty easy to put a finger through it. So. . . hey! You guessed it! MORE insulation.

This photo shows 3/4" panels of insulation put in between the feathering strips, and finished off with Tyvek tape (you can also see the wheel well hold-down mentioned above, and a tiny patch of van metal behind the wheel well - this is where I will eventually bolt the beds to the van frame):

To be uniform, this had to be done in both walls (driver and passenger side) and in the ceiling.

Took another month or two.

At least.

[sigh]

To Be Continued. . .
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Photos of my van conversion - Part III

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Are there no windows except in the front?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Azusateach » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Your tenacity is impressive, as well as your attention to detail. I'm waiting with great impatience to see where you are in the process now! From what we're being shown, you could hire out! ;)

Well done!

Laura
Azusateach

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Exhausting and teaching you much. You will need to take it on a wonderful road trip as soon as possible.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cudedog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:58 am

BarbaraRose asked:

There are windows in the rear doors, and in the driver's side door and the passenger's side door.

This is the way that this particular van came, but it is also the way that I wanted it. Just in case I ever needed to to any "stealth" camping, I look like J. Random Delivery Van.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:09 am

Cudedog wrote:BarbaraRose asked:

There are windows in the rear doors, and in the driver's side door and the passenger's side door.

This is the way that this particular van came, but it is also the way that I wanted it. Just in case I ever needed to to any "stealth" camping, I look like J. Random Delivery Van.

Anne

Anne, if that's what you wanted, that's great. I couldn't imagine camping without windows and cross ventilation. Even with all you've done, without air to circulate, it's going to be difficult to be breathing inside (I would think). You'll probably be proving me wrong (I hope).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby grammynmaggie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 am

Wonderful....cant wait for the next installment...When I had
my GMC cargo van ...just like this one..it had window the same
and all opened up..I was in the process of making screens for all
of them...then I traded it for my RV :)
donna ;)
grammynmaggie

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 am

I admire your tenacity. I've never done anything like this in my life BUT I would be concerned about air quality. If you have it insulated so tightly and no windows, how are you going to move air around inside? If you don't have air movement won't you have humidity buildup and the air quality could be really bad. Just asking?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Redwahine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 am

Wow!! You are so talented. Can't wait to see the final project.
Redwahine

Postby Cudedog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Bethers said:

Anne, if that's what you wanted, that's great. I couldn't imagine camping without windows and cross ventilation. Even with all you've done, without air to circulate, it's going to be difficult to be breathing inside (I would think). You'll probably be proving me wrong (I hope).

Bethers:

Good comments, and food for thought. Much appreciated.

I will be making screens for the front windows, so that they can be rolled down about half way. Screens to keep the bugs out, half way to (hopefully!) keep the creeps out. :o This will give some cross-ventilation, and when I have hookups I have a fan to blow the air into the back part of the van (the "living room").

When I don't have hookups, I will keep the rear doors open a crack (with hardware to hold them open just this much, and no more) with a bit of screen down the opening, attached by large magnets. No bugs, no creeps. :D

When it is hot, and I have hookups (and since I am heat-sensitive I can't really camp in hot weather without hookups) I have installed a small window a/c unit over the wheel well in the side door where I have built a false wall - 2" foam panel sandwiched with paneling. This unit has been a godsend this summer as I have been working on the van, on a 105 degree day the unit cools the inside of the van down to about 75 - 78 degrees. Which wouldn't work, of course, if I had not already heavily insulated the van with the foam panels. The a/c also acts as a dehumidifier.

The van is actually basically finished, but haven't yet got all the photos together - but here are a couple photos of the a/c install:

Getting 'er in place:

Trying her out:

Inside view:

When the a/c is running, I leave the side door open (to let the a/c blow out the heat). When I am driving I just close the door. Nobody knows. :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Donna wrote:

Wonderful....cant wait for the next installment...When I had
my GMC cargo van ...just like this one..it had window the same
and all opened up..I was in the process of making screens for all
of them...then I traded it for my RV :)
donna ;)

Unfortunately (or maybe not) the rear windows do not open, but the driver and passenger windows of course roll down.

The reason I didn't want windows is because of the greenhouse effect. Sunlight on a window causes the interior of a vehicle to really heat up, even on relatively cold days. The inside windshield fold-outs to block the sun one sees everywhere are not that effective in this application because there is no "seal" between the reflective material and the glass. Once the heat comes in through the glass, it stays inside the vehicle.

In order to solve this problem, I have made window coverings from bits of styrofoam panel (reflective side outward) that I attach to the windows (rather, the door metal around the windows) with large magnets. These panels prevent the sun (and thus solar radiation,and thus heat) from getting inside. When the van is parked, of course.

Question: Why did you decide to trade your van for an RV?

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:13 pm

retiredhappy said:

I admire your tenacity. I've never done anything like this in my life BUT I would be concerned about air quality. If you have it insulated so tightly and no windows, how are you going to move air around inside? If you don't have air movement won't you have humidity buildup and the air quality could be really bad. Just asking?

Thank you for your input. Comments like yours are very helpful.

Tenacious? Keeping busy keeps the blues away. Also, I get bored easily. :D

As above, I have a fan and small a/c unit to move air around. There have been days here when I have spent 5 - 6 hours working (constantly moving) inside the van with the doors and windows closed (not just sitting reading a magazine as I hope to do at the upcoming West Coast GTG) and air quality has never been a problem with the a/c running. It was pretty nice inside, actually.

I do have some concerns about humidity (especially camping on the Oregon coast, location of the GTG), and had ordered a small dehumidifer from Amazon, which I immediately returned because it was DOA. Am still looking for a unit. When there is humidity, there is always a chance that the moisture will get inside the walls. I did install a moisture barrier (Tyvek house wrap) over the insulation, but nothing is 100%.

A dehumidifier is only needed in cool weather camping; in hot weather the a/c acts as a dehumidifer as well as a cooler.

Thank you.

Anne

Thanks for asking! :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Redwahine wrote:

Can't wait to see the final project.

Yeah, me too! :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Olive600 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm

What a job! I can't imagine doing what you've done. Congrats!

Nikki
Olive600

Postby grammynmaggie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 am

Why did I trade my van,,, it was not planned at all…I went to an RV show just to have something to do that day and by the end of the weekend….I ended up with an Itasca “IMPULSE” by Winnebago…the operative word being” IMPULSE” …lol…but it was an impulse buy just the same…but I knew after a few trips up north and back that the van was to small for me…it was not a high top and I could not stand up in it…the impulse buy was sealed with a “really great deal”! The van was really sweet tho…insulated. with vinyl on all the walls and top…carpet, it had a few miles on it but was in pristine condition…no ware and tear on the seats or any interior….so as not to high jack your thread with my pics here are a couple post on my blog about what I had started doing to fix it up for camping…the first link is a pic of van and how I came about getting the van in the first place…but with hinds sight..I still think at what I am doing now in my life a class B would be better…but living full time in it ..what I want to do in the future…the Class C is better..

http://grammyandthepapillonprinces.blog ... chive.html

http://grammyandthepapillonprinces.blog ... chive.html
grammynmaggie

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs