Betsy Is Getting a Makeover

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Betsy Is Getting a Makeover

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Nikki, I painted all my cabinets including the two with glass fronts. I did a light sanding, used Kilz and two coats of paint. As I said I even sanded the glass, used two coats of Kilz and two coats of paint. No one can even tell its glass and the cabinets came out fine.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Olive600 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:14 am

retiredhappy wrote:Nikki, I painted all my cabinets including the two with glass fronts. I did a light sanding, used Kilz and two coats of paint. As I said I even sanded the glass, used two coats of Kilz and two coats of paint. No one can even tell its glass and the cabinets came out fine.

Hi Karen,
I remember you telling me this story. It inspired me to do the work on Betsy. I'm learning as I go, but all in all the work is going well. It's just slower than I thought I'd be. Lots of unplanned down time from the weather (rain) and life (friends) and health (allergies). Just saying I'd like to be done and on the road. Still, we need the rain, time with friends is always good, and allergies are just a fact of life for me. Usually the OTC allergy meds take care of the symptoms, but not this year. Wah wah wah. :lol:
Olive600

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 pm

The Short Bus came home from Mr. Sonny's RV Repair shop this afternoon and she said I could take pictures.

Here is a pic of the top of the bed platform...minus the mattress. Notice the space next to the wall. That width can change depending upon how tall your mattress is. Means you can raise the lid the the mattress has some place to go.

Pictures of the 2x4 framing under the platform.

This is a picture looking at the frame support that run across the back wall. There is a metal ledge that the 2x4 is fastened to that is the anchor for the seat belts and was part of the support for the original couch that is no more.

This pic is looking at the back wall and the right hand end where all the tubes from the tank are running in and out.

This pic is looking directly down over the left hand front corner. It shows where the low point drain is and shows how close the front panel of the box is to the fresh water tank....

Hope the pictures give you ideas. I know they reminded me that I need to suck the dirt and dog hair from out of there. :shock:

This is what the bed looks like occupied.....

Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Olive600 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Tina, you are just amazing! Thank you so much for all your help. I thought I'd found someone to build the box, but he's disappeared. He hasn't gotten in touch since I sent him the first description of the job and isn't answering e-mail. Why in the world can't people just say, "I changed my mind."? So back to the drawing board. I'm very happy to have these pics to show the builder when I find one. Someone will show up eventually, I'm sure. Right now I'm dead in the water. It's been raining every day and the paint isn't drying. I've been fabric hunting but haven't found what I want. Knowing what I want would help. I am a little discouraged I guess. But the rain will stop, the paint will dry, and the highway will be there when it's time to go. Thanks again for all your help.

Nikki

p.s. forgot to say how much I love the "occupied" pic. I can tell the bed is very comfortable. :D
Olive600

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:17 pm

PUH-leez, don't ever tell Abby I said this, but I think that little Remi is cuter than she is.
I'll deny I said it. She won't believe you.
mitch5252

Postby Lopo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Nikki, I don't know if this would work for you or not, but when I was desperate for some carpentry help on one of my vintage trailers, I put an ad on craigslist saying exactly what I wanted to find, someone with some carpentry skills and the ability to problem-solve on a couple of projects on my little trailer, and I would pay $20/hour. And I got some good responses, and two different times found decent help - just guys who were out of work and bored as much as anything.

Lois
Lopo

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Lopo wrote:Nikki, I don't know if this would work for you or not, but when I was desperate for some carpentry help on one of my vintage trailers, I put an ad on craigslist saying exactly what I wanted to find, someone with some carpentry skills and the ability to problem-solve on a couple of projects on my little trailer, and I would pay $20/hour. And I got some good responses, and two different times found decent help - just guys who were out of work and bored as much as anything.

Lois

THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION - no fears on getting a perv or something worse? I could sure use that venue around here. But I never wanted to die in a chipper.
mitch5252

Postby Lopo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 am

I knew that would come up, Mitch. I don't know the answer for anyone else, which is why I said I didn't know if it would work for Nikki, but I've never had anything creepy happen from using craigslist.
Lopo

Postby Azusateach » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 am

mitch5252 wrote:
Lopo wrote:Nikki, I don't know if this would work for you or not, but when I was desperate for some carpentry help on one of my vintage trailers, I put an ad on craigslist saying exactly what I wanted to find, someone with some carpentry skills and the ability to problem-solve on a couple of projects on my little trailer, and I would pay $20/hour. And I got some good responses, and two different times found decent help - just guys who were out of work and bored as much as anything.

Lois

THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION - no fears on getting a perv or something worse? I could sure use that venue around here. But I never wanted to die in a chipper.

Mitch, if you're really wanting to find someone to help you out around the Blue Marlin, you might think about contacting a local church -- the bigger the better. Out here (big city) lots of the churches have newsletters/fliers that list services offered by folks, often people who are out of work and looking to make ends meet. Many of them are even licensed. I found a housekeeper that way.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby VickieP » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Azusateach wrote:
mitch5252 wrote:[b]But I never wanted to die in a chipper.

Mitch, if you're really wanting to find someone to help you out around the Blue Marlin, you might think about contacting a local church -- the bigger the better. Out here (big city) lots of the churches have newsletters/fliers that list services offered by folks, often people who are out of work and looking to make ends meet. Many of them are even licensed. I found a housekeeper that way.
Laura

Darn, I was starting to enjoy that mental image of her being stuffed in a chipper, her short little legs waving in the air. 8-) :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

VickieP wrote:Darn, I was starting to enjoy that mental image of her being stuffed in a chipper, her short little legs waving in the air. 8-) :lol:

..................................................Image

mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:12 pm

That's a good idea, Laura! Thanks!

mitch5252

Postby Olive600 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Play nice, girls. :lol:

I've thought about using Craigslist, but I don't think it's a good idea for me. I need to work with someone I know or comes highly recommended by someone I know. Also, where I live no one will do the work for $20 an hour, at least no one who knows what he/she's doing. Construction is booming here and there's a shortage of carpenters. They're all working in the oil field. I'm pretty discouraged right now; maybe it's just the rain or the dark skies and humidity. I'm going to walk away from the project for a few days. I appreciate the suggestions and all the help. One of these days this whole thing will come together and I'll hit the road with Olive. BTW, Olive is very happy about all these delays. She wants to stay home and play with her best friend, Scooby.

Nikki
Olive600

Postby mtngal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Sounds like you are ready for a break Nikki; take a time out and focus on all the work you have gotten done in this short time! You are doing good girl friend!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Olive600 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm officially taking a break. Just ask my margarita. :lol:

Extra salt please
Olive600

PreviousNext

Return to Show off your Rigs