Betsy Is Getting a Makeover

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Betsy Is Getting a Makeover

Postby Olive600 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I think it's magic. Just seconds before I logged into the forum the confirmation that my shower head has shipped came from Amazon. They were cheaper at Camping World, but I know and trust Amazon. I know them really really well. :D
Olive600

Postby Bethers » Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Olive600 wrote:I think it's magic. Just seconds before I logged into the forum the confirmation that my shower head has shipped came from Amazon. They were cheaper at Camping World, but I know and trust Amazon. I know them really really well. :D

Now that surprises me ... last time I looked they were cheaper on Amazon. But either way - it's on the way :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 pm

My experience with CW is that they are more expensive. However, this shower thing was cheaper at Camping World than it was at Amazon.
I was surprised.

mitch5252

Postby Olive600 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Lessons I've learned today:
1. Painters tape can remove not only paint, but the top layer of the wallboard in an RV.
2. Using primer does not guarantee that paint will stick to whatever the sides of these cabinets are made of. Sometimes not even the primer will stick. And yes, I did sand and degrease.
3. Before starting a job like this, find all the spaces around a cabinet where a normal paintbrush just won't fit. Like between the toilet and the vanity cabinet. Do what you can to increase your space before you start painting and make a great big mess. (I should have painted the cabinet while the toilet was out for the floor installation. I'm pretty sure my RV guy would have worked out some arrangement with me. He's storing my couches for me now.)
4. Remember that in very small spaces your wall color will reflect onto any surface you've painted white. That means all the white trim looks like it's the same color as the wall.
5. Breathe. When all you want to do drive the stinking thing off a cliff, walk away and breathe. It will all be better in a few hours, and you can start again.
6. It's not about perfect; it's about good enough. The process is as important as the outcome.

Nikki :(
Olive600

Postby mitch5252 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm

And good for a chuckle, to boot!
Sorry you had issues.
I hate issues.

mitch5252

Postby Nasoosie » Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 am

Really enjoyed your post, Nikki.....sorry you ran into all those problems, but I'll bet we have all had days like those! Your advice to walk away for a bit is excellent, rather than the cliff solution! You are to be congratulated for this undertaking at all-----I am fascinated by what you are doing, and can't wait to see the finished product, preferably on the ground and not at the bottom of that cliff!!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Olive600 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm

thanks, Nasoosie. I was poking fun at myself. I guess that didn't come across. The project is moving ahead.

Nikki
Olive600

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:25 am

I thought as much, Nikki! Nobody who has done as much as you have up to date on that rig would give it the ultimate push!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby dpf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 am

I don't know if this will benefit you but it might help someone else sometime. Last fall after I painted my bathroom I was complaining (mild usage) about what a pain in keister (more mild usage) it was to paint behind the tank on the toilet. My friend's daughter piped up and said she wrapped the entire tank with saran wrap and didn't have to worry about getting paint on the it. Who'da thunk it.... all this time I thought she was a brainless twit! :?
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:51 pm

......I like the idea!

They still have "mindless twits" out in the midwest? :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Olive600 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 pm

dpf wrote:I don't know if this will benefit you but it might help someone else sometime. Last fall after I painted my bathroom I was complaining (mild usage) about what a pain in keister (more mild usage) it was to paint behind the tank on the toilet. My friend's daughter piped up and said she wrapped the entire tank with saran wrap and didn't have to worry about getting paint on the it. Who'da thunk it.... all this time I thought she was a brainless twit! :?

Thanks, great idea and it will help.
Nikki
Olive600

Postby dpf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 am

BirdbyBird wrote:......I like the idea!

They still have "mindless twits" out in the midwest? :)

Oh yes, we're still here! :lol:

Actually I have to retract a little of that statement...she is a very intelligent girl. But when it comes to common sense...not so much! :roll:
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby drsolo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:28 am

retiredhappy wrote:Have never been able to figure out what genius decided to put carpet in something you intend to go "camping" in. We need more women designers!!!

I have never understood all that wall to wall carpet in general. But as you point out, the people who designed, produced and sold that stuff werent the ones who were expected to keep it clean either. I got rescue dogs. Some of them "leak" from age and meds. I got rid of all the carpets in our new old house (1880) and put down ceramic tile, nice dirt obscuring mottled grey/tan/taupe. I leave for my first solo Rving trip for 2 weeks taking the dogs and come back to find that DH bought rugs and put them around the house. sheesh. He not only forgot the leakers, he forgot I am asthmatic and cant tolerate what grows in rugs. So one by one they have been shuffled into the mudroom, then into the garage.
I put wood looking sheet vinyl over plywood over the rug in my Rvan. Now I dont worry about my little leakers wandering lose inside.
Ingrid, retired teacher, home base = Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC conversion van (Big Bear)
http://weloveteaching.com/RV/RV.htm
drsolo

Postby drsolo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:00 am

dpf wrote:My friend's daughter piped up and said she wrapped the entire tank with saran wrap and didn't have to worry about getting paint on the it. Who'da thunk it.... all this time I thought she was a brainless twit! :?

Garbage bags and duct tape.
Ingrid, retired teacher, home base = Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC conversion van (Big Bear)
http://weloveteaching.com/RV/RV.htm
drsolo

Postby Olive600 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Yep, garbage bags and duct tape. Found out that one the hard way.
I feel like I've abandoned y'all, so here's an update: I'm still painting. I'll bet that's a let down. As soon as I start putting doors and drawers back in place, I'll post more pics. No news on getting the box for the bed built. I've decided to quit worrying about it. Push come to shove, I'll put one couch back in and pile foam toppers on it. I'm leaving the other couch out for sure. Thanks, Tina. Have been sick the last few days. This year is my worst for allergies and sometimes they just lay me out. I get too tired to do as much work as I'd like in a day. But I am still painting. Today the bathroom door came out and I put the first coat of paint on the kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. The cabinet is finished. Tomorrow is the second coat on doors and drawers and sanding and primer on bathroom door. Maybe I'll get the second coat onto the kitchen wall. Maybe I'll finish doors and drawers tonight. Thanks again for all the support.

Nikki
Olive600

PreviousNext

Return to Show off your Rigs