Our humble Little Camper!

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: Our humble Little Camper!

Postby WickedLady » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:33 am

Wow, all the comforts; very nice.
WickedLady

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:48 am

Charlene wrote:
BarbaraRose wrote:Do you have a fridge and dinette in there? A TV? When you stay somewhere, do you take the camper off? Is that hard to do? Might be an option for me down the road...Hmmm....

Hi Barbara,

The camper is self contained, it has a roof A/C, a propane forced hot air furnace, microwave, stove/oven, small toaster oven, a full bath/shower, outside shower, a 3-way fridge, black, grey, fresh water, holding tanks, hot water heater, house battery, and everything runs on 12volts except the A/C,

And if the shore power goes out at the campground, or if we boondock, we have a Honda EU2000 gen-set, that runs the whole camper!

Forgot to mention that it has a dinette, and a 20" HDTV. We only take the camper off if we are staying for a substantial period of time.
Charlene

Sounds like the ideal set up for me! May have to look into that! First, I will need to get a truck tho...
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 pm

I would have seriously looked at TC's when I bought what I did - as i like the small size. (My C is 22' feet long - not much different :) ). You see so many of them out west, and lots of them in AK and down the Baja. They are so wonderful for all the small spaces that I like to be able to get into. So, I love what you have.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Charlene » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Bethers wrote:I would have seriously looked at TC's when I bought what I did - as i like the small size. (My C is 22' feet long - not much different :) ). You see so many of them out west, and lots of them in AK and down the Baja. They are so wonderful for all the small spaces that I like to be able to get into. So, I love what you have.

We rented a class C many years ago and took it to Florida, what I do like about the C is to be able to walk to bathroom without stopping.

The truck is 4 wheel drive, so you can take it off road if you want.

What's great, is being able to take the camper off the truck, and having the utility of the pickup bed when you need it for chores.

Charlene
Charlene

Postby Echo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm

The very first camper my parents had was a Huntsman TC. OMG! We all loved that camper so much. Sure did go on a lot of trips with that thing. They had it for I guess 5yrs. Mom n Dad would sit in the truck while on the road and I would stay in the camper. Site see from the cab over bed, eat, sleep, read, whatever I wanted as that was all 'my' space when driving on the road. The one we had didn't have much storage but we made do. The newer ones are awesome now.

Seriously thought about getting one. Until Kelly came back home then the idea changed to TT. :lol:
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby OutandAbout » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Charlene, your TC and mine are similar. The inside is almost identical, except my sink is not on that much of an angle and I don't have the window over the bed. Mine does overhang the truck, but I don't go off road so it's no problem. I didn't want to tow either, so I chose the TC.

Barbie, it doesn't take much time at all to load or unload the TC. There are steps to follow, just as in hitching up a trailer. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby Charlene » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:30 pm

OutandAbout wrote:Charlene, your TC and mine are similar. The inside is almost identical, except my sink is not on that much of an angle and I don't have the window over the bed. Mine does overhang the truck, but I don't go off road so it's no problem. I didn't want to tow either, so I chose the TC.

Barbie, it doesn't take much time at all to load or unload the TC. There are steps to follow, just as in hitching up a trailer. Linda

Linda, is your camper a Lance, and if it hangs over the rear, and has it's own bumper, then your truck has a short bed.

If it is a Lance, and looks like mine, then I think you have model # 845, Mine is a # 835.

Charlene
Charlene

Postby Liz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Really nice looking TC, lots of light and roominess.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby kdmac » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:00 am

I can't believe how much headroom there is in the bed area of your camper. I was born and raised in Washington state and "Campers R Us" up here in the northwest. They are wonderful. They are quick and easy to heat on those frosty mornings...great for towing boats, cars, motorcyles, and they fit in any campsite. Being top-heavy means no "QUICK" turns at the last minute, no swirving to miss a squirrel in the road and no driving on ground that's too slanted. But that is all intuitive driving, anyway. Very Nice
kdmac

Postby OutandAbout » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Charlene, my camper is a Lance 915 lite, made for long bed trucks. How is the headroom in the overhead cab part of your camper? I can just barely sit up, which is annoying when reading for any length of time. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby Charlene » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 pm

OutandAbout wrote:Charlene, my camper is a Lance 915 lite, made for long bed trucks. How is the headroom in the overhead cab part of your camper? I can just barely sit up, which is annoying when reading for any length of time. Linda

Linda, I'm 5'6, and when I sit up, my head does touch the ceiling, but not bad.

It's in the middle of the night when nature calls, that if I'm not carefull, I bang my head :lol:

Charlene
Charlene

Postby Colliemom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Charlene,

What model Lance camper is that? And is that a 3/4 ton (2500) Chevy or 1 ton (3500)
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Charlene » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Colliemom wrote:Charlene,

What model Lance camper is that? And is that a 3/4 ton (2500) Chevy or 1 ton (3500)

Hi Sue,

It's a Lance Lite #835 that they stopped making about 2 years ago, but has a very popular floor plan, the truck is a Chevy 2500HD, which is a 3/4 ton extended cab long bed.

The camper fits this truck perfect with no overhang in the rear, and hardly knows it is there.

It has no slide outs, and is perfect for 2 people!

Charlene
Charlene

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi, Charlene, and welcome to the group! I guess you joined when I was too preoccupied with hauling my butt down here to FL to even read any posts!

After this first, and possibly my last, hauling of a TT, I am very seriously looking to replace my truck camper top with a truck camper. For me, this would be perfect, as I could still use the truck for hauling stuff when needed, and I could drive my house-on-wheels like a truck instead of trying to haul it behind me! The idea of just driving really appeals to me. My truck is a short bed half ton, with a very souped up engine, towing package, and off-road shocks and suspension. I would need a very light weight short bed truck camper. I will begin to look in earnest as soon as things settle down here, and I get more used to being here. I love the looks of yours! I could either sell my TT, or use it right here as a permanent camp, depending on the cost of the truck camper. Is it hard to get a truck camper off the truck when you wish to leave it behind? And, is it difficult to get back under it to hitch it up again?

Just wondering and contemplating and planning and wishing!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Charlene » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:19 pm

soosie,

We were sick of towinging things over the years, boats, RV's etc.

Your short bed half ton truck is a no go for the most part, you might be able to get a pop-up truck camper under 1500lbs.

Our camper is the just about the smallest non slide hard side camper that will work on a 3/4ton long bed truck.

When loaded with all the junk, and a full fresh water tank, it weighs over 3000lbs. Just over the trucks weight limit. It's fine though, but any bigger truck camper would require at least a 1 ton dually long bed!

As far as taking it off the truck, that's easy, the camper has four electric jacks that are controlled by a wireless remote control.

You just raise the camper about 6" off the bed and drive the truck out.

To store the camper, lower it as close as possible to the ground, and you can still camp in it.

Getting it back on the truck bed is a little more difficult, in that you have to take your time to square the truck and bed up with the camper, before you back all the way, but with practice, takes about 20 mins.

That's why we only take the camper off at a campsite for extended stays.

As you know it's nice having your house with you when you travel :lol:

Charlene
Charlene

Previous

Return to Show off your Rigs