Trip down the Pacific Coast

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Trip down the Pacific Coast

Postby HavaneseMom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi,
I'm taking my first long trip in my rig in a couple of weeks. Going to drive from AZ up to Washington and back down along the coast via Hwy 101. First, am I crazy for thinking I can do this in a 31 ft rig with a toad, and if not, where are some good places to see and stop at along the way? I will only have a week for the drive back.

Havenese Mom
HavaneseMom

Re: Trip down the Pacific Coast

Postby VickieP » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I can't help you with anything in that area, but just want to request lots of pics for us on your adventure! :D
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:57 pm

That will be a beautiful drive, especially along the coast. The only thing I have heard tho about that drive is it is safer to go "up" the coast on 101 since you would be on the "inside" lane instead of the lane closest to the ocean if you are coming south. Haven't been along there (except in SoCal) so not sure if that is really a concern or not. Maybe someone else can say better.

Should be a fun trip tho!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby HavaneseMom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I did read that about going north instead of south, but I also read the reverse. Seems there are very tight turns going north which make it difficult to manuver in a rig. Going south is nearer the edge, but not dangerous if you go slower and keep eyes on the road instead of the view. We'll pull over to lookout points for viewing and picture taking, and they are easier to do from the south side as you do not need to cross over. Anyway, this is what I've read. So we will just have to see I guess and if it gets too bad, I'll just go inland where I'm told there's beauty of a different kind to see.

Havenese Mom
HavaneseMom

Postby sharon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:26 pm

There's not to many roads heading inland in the really curvy part of 101. You'll be fine, take your time. Lots of RV's bigger than you do it all of the time. The scenery is breath taking. You might check, tho, and I could be wrong, (it's happened! :lol: ) but there might be a part that you can't drive an rv thru...Oh, wait a minute, that was the 1 and I think it might have been motorcycles....A real ritzy home and golf course area or something. Then I re-read your post and you did say 101....that road will be fine for you, it's not bad at all. Not on a motorcycle, anyway. :D

Where oh where has my mind gone??
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 pm

If you really want the lowdown call the California Highway patrol and ask about RVs on that stretch of road.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Getupngo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Karen, you take all the fun out of it!!

Here is a list on CalTrans on RV restrictions for MH's 45+ feet.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby carold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

We drove our 35 ft A with toad this year and had no trouble. A few curvy areas, but nothing your rig can't handle. Check out our blog from this last trip for areas we stopped at. Have fun. carold
carold

Postby bikerchic777 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Carold...Great blog! Do I need to explain to you why I paddle a kayak...solo? :roll: Try it...you might like it! Tell Phred if I ever meet you guys, I can give him a better haircut and I'm not even a barber...free of charge. If he decides he likes that short one, after all, very easy to do! Havanese Mom...I hope you let us know about your 101 trip. I love that drive, but haven't done it in an RV. I may want to do that someday.

Linda and Rags
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby jemek » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:15 pm

We have driven 101 -Oregon side...south and north with a 31 ft trailer.
I have to say...I think going south is easier...it is much easier to access all the pullouts going south. IMO

Have fun and enjoy...there are some beautiful places along the coast.
Kris aka Kristy
Wife to Norm
Mom to 3 boys and 2 girls
Many critters
2003 Dodge Ram 2500
2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail
DH has 2004 Dodge Durango
Not that I am great at keeping this updated...but I try..
http://smithseven.blogspot.com/
jemek

Postby Forestgal » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 pm

I think you're confusing 101 with HWY 1, which is the one you DON'T want to travel pulling a toad in a bigger rig. 101 is a fine road. You'll be right along the water for part of the drive, but then inland for major portions of it. 101 is beautiful in its own right, especially between Oxnard and the Salinas area -- beautiful rolling hills, and stretches of ocean mixed in between Oxnard & Santa Barbara. Once you get north of San Francisco -- and yes, you can pull a rig through the City if you're careful & don't do it during rush hour -- you'll hit more rolling hills, and eventually the Redwoods State Park. You'll be inland until you hit Oregon, and then will be back on the coast.

The nice thing about traveling 101 is that there are plenty of places to stop and rest, pick up produce (So. of San Francisco especially), and even find campgrounds. Hwy. 1 just isn't as friendly to that type of thing -- especially bigger rigs pulling a toad. It'll be white-knuckle driving most of the way once you get north of Santa Barbara.

If you want more opinions, feel free to PM me. I've traveled 101 several times with my trailer and love the drive.

Laura -- and Jed
Forestgal

Postby cat » Fri May 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Please post how the drive is, I will be making the same trip in Sept. Hopefully will go into Vancouver and then heading down the coast on 101.
thanks
Blessings,
Carol,
Pixie, mini doxie & traveling companion
'o6 Ford Excel TS PleasureWay
http://thelordismyshield.blogspot.com

The Lord bless you and keep you safe in all your travels.
cat

Postby carold » Sat May 15, 2010 8:08 am

Looking forward to posts and pics of this trip????? Have done it more that once. Bikerchic, just saw your post. Obviously the "hairstylist?" needs to go back to school :lol: and our canoe trips are exact replicas of that kayaking episode :roll: carold
carold

Postby Bethers » Sat May 15, 2010 11:43 am

Lost my connection while sending my reply - shucks.

Moved this to General Talk - in case you lost it :)

As Forestgal stated, 101 is good for all rigs - both directions. I've driven it in both directions -however, if you're going to do a circular route, I'd go with taking 101 on the way south - because as someone else has stated, most of the pull-offs are for the view, and they'll then be on your right and easier to access. It's gorgeous country - enjoy your trip.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sat May 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I live not far from Hwy. 101 (Pismo Beach, CA area) and have driven No & So from home to just south of SF many, many times. It's a breeze of a drive. If you want to be right along the ocean on Hwy 1 - do that going No. you will be in the lane that is NOT on the ocean side. It can even be white knuckle at that. BUT you can't beat the gorgeous scenery. Of course, Oregon has beautiful scenery also!! What a neat trip for you. PM me when you are in this area.

Enjoy,
Linda
Rufflesgurl

Next

Return to General Talk