Campfire

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Campfire

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 am

I've been to see the ponies but not during the swim. I even was able to kayak over to the island and kayaked right up next to a small herd. Definitely agree that reservations ahead would be needed as from what folks talked about life as they know it changes greatly during the swim.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby elkriverrats » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:30 pm

I go to Assateague several times a year, almost always during the off season. Have not been for the pony swim since I was a kid so I'm no help there. I prefer the national seashore campground to the state park but there are no hookups and facilities are primitive. State park is nice and I go over there to wander but they don't have many sites that allow dogs. If you have any questions about Assateague PM me. I think you can reserve sites a year out.
Kelly
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Hmmmm, it's starting to sound like two visits, isn't it? One to get a good look at the ponies, another to see the swim. I should think about that.

Is this herd like the ponies on Dartmoor? Those are 'wild' in the sense that they don't want to be touched (and you could get hurt trying), but they will come off the moor right up onto the laybys to get a good close look at you.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby elkriverrats » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:41 pm

These guys want your food and have learned how to get it. Most I have seen have no fear of humans and you can get very close if you choose to ignore the numerous "ponies bite!" postings. The national seashore just posted a pic on Twitter a few days ago of someone who ignored the many warnings and wound up with a nasty bite. I was there a few months ago and had to stay inside for over an hour as the camper was literally surrounded by over a dozen. The dogs were not pleased haha. There are also Sika deer there and they are so tiny! They are related to elk and the males bugle at sunset. It gives me goosebumps.
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:22 am

I tend to worry more about kicking than biting -- ponies are really fast! I doubt I'd enjoy broken bones any more now than I did as a kid. ;) Luckily I have sense enough to keep my distance. Sitka deer! I've heard about them but never seen/heard one. That settles it.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:09 pm

I am in some deep piney woods just north of Wolfeboro, NH. Seems a little buggy out there and I definitely already smell o' de deep woods OFF. Campfire on here might be safer and definitely easier to breathe. Beki is parked about 40 minutes down some roads at the state park right on the big lake....the state park that doesn't accept pets. Beki said her cat is lounging in the passenger seat daring someone to notice.

I took the longer scenic drive to get here coming down through the White Mountains. Originally I was planning on spending some time up there in some of the NationalForest campgrounds but after today, pretty as it was, I thin, I am ready more for the Maine coast. Two weeks in the Adirondacks after the weeks coming up the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive I might be ready to look at something besides mountains.... I don't have reservations in Acadia until the 17th. so it is time to take the maps out and dream.

Tomorrow I hope to take a short ride down the road to visit the girls camp that I work at in the late 60's and early 70's. Yes, I checked on line and it is still there! The website didn't mention them still having horses (I was the head counselor for their stables/horse program) but then back then we didn't have a climbing wall either. :)

Hopefully by tomorrow morning Beki will find out where she will be for the next few days so that I can pick her up to go find adventure together.

At least for this evening I will enjoy the hot tub and watch the glow of the campfire as the bug zapper clears the air of everything except the sweet smell of the New Hampshire pine forest.......
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:28 am

Enjoy that hot tub,
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:56 am

Oh, my, what fun it will be to see that camp again! I hope they still have horses. :)
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:12 am

Enjoy the hot tub and relaxing. Sounds like a change of scenery is coming. The no dog campground made me think of smuggling Charley into one in Big Sur, where we had a cabin rented. The girl traveling with me wrapped him in a blanket and carried him inside! I was surprised as he weighed around 60 pounds at just a year old. Someone finally reported us but it was the day before we were to leave and they let us stay and didn't charge us a fine. He had made a lot of friends.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Redetotry » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:57 am

Need a how to lesson. I've been trying to add a picture of my new RV to my signature and so far have been unable to resize in PhotoBucket. I edited, saved the change and it still posted the big version. The ads are crazy and they really want you to update to the paid version.
This is the picture, I resized to 190 X ? but it didn't works. Also the bottom code that I thought was what you used kept going black, maybe I was using wrong one...
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:10 am

For sharing what he/she looks like it seems a wonderful size. Makes my eye happy any way. Looks like you can go places in comfort for sure!
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Thats nice!!
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Nice looking RV! What model is it?
MandysMom

Postby Redetotry » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you Ava and Tina. It does seem to be just the right size.I also have a choice of having twin beds, a double or king. Bath is bigger and has a vanity and the kitchen has a small counter. All the things I wished for. :)
I think it needs a boys name just haven't been able to come up with one that fits.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby snowball » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

I like the size of it...looks like it has what you need....
Freddy boy is a thought
sheila
snowball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk