Campfire

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Campfire

Postby JudyJB » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Sheila, I use just a lightweight cotton comforter on my bed instead of a blanket and bedspread. Just a bottom sheet, also, so that makes making my bed really easy.

However, sometimes I am cold at night, depending on where I am, so I have a lightweight down throw I keep folded on my bed, towards the side. When I get cold, I pull it over on top of me. Because it is a throw, it is the right size to cover me up but is still very lightweight and easy to toss off again if I get too hot. And it really, really keeps me warm because it is down. Cost is only $32 from Amazon and it comes in several colors--https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G9M9JHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This might be easier for you and it works without needing to plug it in. Also, if you are somewhere for a while where it is warm at night, it rolls up into a bundle about 14" by 4" --very small and easy to store.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi ladies ~~~

Lyn & I are currently camped at Washington Irving South COE just southwest of Tulsa, OK. Found a good year dealer in Tulsa that will replace all 4 tires (weird China brand tires) with Goodyear. If they don't get a 5th tire in stock in time I'll just have the 'best' existing tire to use as a spare.

For those not on Facebook, Lyn & I both suffered some damage at the same corner turn into the visitors center to register for camping at Devil's Den SP in Arkansas. Lyn's step is all mangles and I lost a tire on a sharp rock. Put a couple of nice holes in the tire. Friendly helpful people there. Had at least 4 people that came to tell me (yup, I heard the whoosh of lost air). The park ranger called a maintenance guy who changed the flat for me.

Lyn is still (thankfully) being an angel and is sitting with me for the tire change, just like she sat with me waiting for the awning part. Bless her! Teaching me the ropes on finding campgrounds without reservations, etc. Next stop? No clue! Where ever Lyn goes, I'm following. :lol:

Stay safe ladies where ever you are.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am

This was really my fault as I haven’t been to Devils Den St Pk for 20 years, and, had forgotten about the narrow windy roads. Also, not my fault, there is something called “fall vacation” in Arkansas. All the camp grounds were jam packed with families and millions of kids! The Ranger was very nice and cute!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Campgrounds in Ohio also fill up in October for their harvest, holloween, whatever you want to call it with hayrides and costumes festivals.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm

as I was scrolling down say Judy's post and remembered I totally forgot to reply
you would swelter under what I have... :lol: flannel sheets, blanket and a throw plus
the comforter...heavy pj's a short sleeve shirt and sweat shirt plus I put hot water into
bottles and put them in the bed!!! and I get actually warm after awhile that is if I don't move.... :lol:
tomorrow is a leave the cold and find a not so cold area...at least that is my plans
according to the weather sunny very cold and no wind 10% perception so most stuff is
done last minute stuff need to lock up the bays bring in one planter with frozen plants and my metal flowers and hummingbird just a few things plan on going to Odgen Ut....right now 50 sounds good it's 32 and lower here...
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:03 am

You are right! I would swelter under that getup. :lol: I let the temps get down to about 65 inside my RV before turning on the heat. And I sleep in just a cotton nightgown. The down throw works for me because I still get occasional mild hot flashes, and I "throw" the throw on and off all night!!

Also, I wear shorts and t-shirt unless temps get below 60 outside. Everyone else is wearing long pants and jackets, especially here in California and Florida. In Florida on a 70 degree or below day in winter, you can tell the tourists from the natives by what they are wearing. My cousin's wife, who has lived there for 20 years, starts bundling up at 70 degrees. :lol: And that's in the house with the heat on.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Redetotry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 pm

snowball wrote:as I was scrolling down say Judy's post and remembered I totally forgot to reply
you would swelter under what I have... :lol: flannel sheets, blanket and a throw plus
the comforter...heavy pj's a short sleeve shirt and sweat shirt plus I put hot water into
bottles and put them in the bed!!! and I get actually warm after awhile that is if I don't move.... :lol:
tomorrow is a leave the cold and find a not so cold area...at least that is my plans
according to the weather sunny very cold and no wind 10% perception so most stuff is
done last minute stuff need to lock up the bays bring in one planter with frozen plants and my metal flowers and hummingbird just a few things plan on going to Odgen Ut....right now 50 sounds good it's 32 and lower here...
sheila

Why is it so cold in your trailer, don't you have a furnace or ceramic heater? :o
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I think her furnace died.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby avalen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm

I think she's still in Idaho, its cold there
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 pm

so left Idaho and yes it was cold below 32 degree's 70 is my comfort zone higher too hot lower too cold :o thought it would be warmer down here but it is suppose to freeze tonight...think I moved some snow in with my slides and the electric throw that was so oh so warming got wet...don't dare turn it on till it dries...as to now heat why??? don't know what happened to the furnace just doesn't work had planned on having it check on while having a new black water valve put in but that got way to expensive...so will have a mobile teck come out when in Q my main source of heat is a propane ran fireplace...which a year ago didn't stay lite so thought it was something the propane people did as it surfaced after they filled the tank (a big one we keep by my 5th wheel) anyway was time for me to leave so ignored the problem got to AZ and it worked worked all winter go to Idaho and it doesn't work...now that propane place doesn't work on appliances in the house...so my daughter got a new company they thought it was user error :oops: long story I know summer came heat came forgot about the issue except on the occasional night that I was cold and the fireplace wouldn't stay lite until it came to be really needed then they come out and decide that it is a sensor that senses oxygen...isn't working and can't find the part...so at this point am hoping that it will work in Q heck hoping the air is thicker here and will work will try tomorrow...I do have a little buddy but if I use it a lot it really goes through the 1lb bottle...don't know how to hook it up to a larger one outside or would the propane company couldn't do that...so it is cold I wear lots of layers that never come off till bed time then it is layering again...I just want to be warm!!! oh a funny...was checking into the campground and was told 200 for the week then noticed I had a pet was told 250 or that is what I heard....grumbled but paid it turned out when I looked at the receipt 202.50 what a relief!!!!
going to be here a week unless I just give up a day and leave early need to be in Q by the 19 Kerry is leaving for Tday on the 16th want to be there before then so need to boogie a bit earlier

sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 am

FB can make me testy. I nicely answered a post regarding residency in SD. I used the term resident and got corrected saying that was incorrect, it is domicile. I couldn't let it be. I posted the definition of both back... But particularly loved the definition of domicile: "domicile. 1 :a dwelling place :place of residence :home. "

I didn't hang around to see the reply.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am

Hey Beth, don’t let the turkeys get you down! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Cudedog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am

Bethers wrote:FB can make me testy. I nicely answered a post regarding residency in SD. I used the term resident and got corrected saying that was incorrect, it is domicile. I couldn't let it be. I posted the definition of both back... But particularly loved the definition of domicile: "domicile. 1 :a dwelling place :place of residence :home. "

I didn't hang around to see the reply.

LOL.

I got into an extended argument online with someone once who corrected me when I used the word "maze" in place of the word "labyrinth". It went on for a bit, and got kind of heated. :roll:

Finally I dug out my two-volume, ten-pound, hardbound, copy of the "Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary" (it's only "compact" because the printing is so small, one needs the included magnifying glass to read it), and typed out the complete definition of each. I'm kind of a language junkie.

Got kind of quiet after that. :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby havingfunnow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Anne, you have the compact OED too! I love it. So much fun. I was so thrilled to find it decades ago -- even if I'd been willing to spend hundreds for the full size, where would I have found that many feet of shelf space? :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Cudedog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 am

havingfunnow wrote:Anne, you have the compact OED too! I love it. So much fun. I was so thrilled to find it decades ago -- even if I'd been willing to spend hundreds for the full size, where would I have found that many feet of shelf space? :lol:

I have had mine for probably 20 years +/-. My ex-husband found it at a used bookstore someplace (I think), and it was in good condition. I had aspirations of becoming a novelist in those days, and (you are right!) it is really fun to use.

I love words, and language, and try to look up the meanings of words I think I know the definition of, but might not be 100% sure. Often my understanding of the word will be a bit off (or altogether incorrect!) which brings a smile to my face. Even familiar words can have unexpected roots, and shades of meaning.

Every once in a while (I'm with you - the shelf space for the full size would be daunting!) I think of passing it on. But I never have. It is always there when I need it, even if I don't need it all the time.

Anne The Nerd :lol:
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk