Campfire

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Campfire

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm throwing some wood on the fire - but might never enjoy it here - just windy too often - especially at night.

Got rid of that newbie that I didn't feel comfortable about. I emailed her - posted to her here - and gave her just enough rope to hang herself - which she did. Just in case any of you wonder about the missing thread or post she made. And if you didn't see it, no biggie.

My sinuses are acting up - probably the winds and weird weather. Tomorrow we're going to be super busy, so I hope the headache that comes with them doesn't reappear tomorrow morning like it has most lately. Today was the worst, but the weather was the worst yesterday, so I wasn't surprised.

Got my first paycheck here today - love that I can deposit it through my bank's app on my phone. So convenient and easy ... and it's already in my account. (Was 5 minutes after I got the check.)

OK, how many bottles of beer on the wall? I believe Sharon took the last and left us 86 bottles, so here goes - I'm taking one and there's 85 bottles of beer on the wall.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 pm

that reminds me Beth what kind of information do I give to anyone that might be interested in us?
one of my dd's neighbors just bought a teardrop think it is..and I've told her about the forum but not
sure how to tell her to find us...she is widowed originally from Fl lives in Id now...
have my truck feels so strange to actually drive it .. :D I came down in my sil's red cop magnet car :)
so leaving the truck and my dd's boyfriend will drive it up on Friday I will go up tomorrow as sil has
to have the car to get to his guard duty on Friday...
A friend of mine who is more like a sister so her kids all called us Aunt and Uncle have for most of our married life
just had surgery yesterday...before it was time for her to go to the hospital she called and talked with me as we were
talking I mentioned the jacks (she has a short term memory issue) so we are always repeating stuff...anyway she said why didn't
you ask Sean? well he works on other stuff not 5th wheels so didn't think of him..he is my 'nephew' that works on the truck
so he is going to get the stuff to fix the jacks at least I know that I can trust his work...
not sure if I mentioned that I ended up not needing a new computer chip...or not but they got the one put it in it worked then stopped
so they went looking for why and found out it was the cable going to the computer...fixed it and my computer worked and still does.
He also got the a/c charged so when I go down to AZ earlier will have the benefit of that...
things are looking up but it also doesn't look like I will be leaving till a week later...told my mom that I would help her with something
thinking it was the 1st Tues. of the month it's the 2nd one which is the day I was going to leave...so going to leave a week later
good ole jello plans
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:46 pm

I must be in the middle of a flock of robins migrating south. I have never before seen so many at one time - and acting insane! This morning they were all landing on the rv roof at sunrise - driving Peaches and me crazy - I looked out the window and they were on the car, on the neighbors rv - in all the trees, etc. Just a bit ago, when the winds were down a little, they were back in force doing it again. Crazy, crazy lol. I'm told there's a good chance they'll stick around until the snow covers their food source here - so this could be interesting. Good thing I need to get up early for work here - as Peaches certainly can't sleep though them.

I went looking online and robins don't follow the same migratory path each year - they find a good food source and stop and stay until something disturbs the food source, when they'll head south and look for another. Interesting - since I thought most birds followed the same path year after year. Makes me appreciate the robin even more. They may travel in large flocks, but they won't be called for sticking to the same path year after year.

As I started writing this, I didn't see any - now there are two on the neighbors roof - several in the trees behind us - but not as many - winds are still somewhat high.

Sheila - all you have to give anyone is the website address like this: www.womenrv.com/forum - they can read but not post unless they join. They can click to join from there.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:02 pm

One year when we still lived in Salt Lake City. As I recall it was January differently winter!!! what ever month it was...think I'd gone up to the compass anyway saw a robin...I wonder if they don't totally migrate just go to where it's ok for them? SLC can be fairly moderate in the winters mid 40's and then it can be so cold you never know from year to the next what to expect...but I was sure surprised to see that robin...a friend of mine on puget sound has hummers that have wintered over at her house was totally surprised with that...
just made a soup that was demo on food network...i quite liked it and then I made this bread I think yummy but who knows as we've never had it :lol: going over to my mom's tomorrow so will take this so she can have a taste or at least enough for lunch
trying to get ready to leave but have two weeks so we will see how much I procrastinate
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 pm

I would be creeped out by that many birds. I think I have seen Alfred Hitchcocks "The Birds" way too many times! :shock:

I thought robins only ate earth worms but found out last year they eat berries too. Not sure what they would eat in the winter tho.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:46 pm

If you want to be really creeped out by birds, try camping in winter in one of the Florida state parks where vultures roost in the trees around the campground. I stayed in one place where they set off a sort of firework with a flare gun. It made a whizzing and popping noise as it went up and scared the birds away from campers.

Other campgrounds, however, just let them roost, so I went to bed with weird birds near me. They reminded me of the cartoons where the vultures waited in the trees for carrion. Yuck.
Last edited by JudyJB on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:27 am

Maybe the Vultures are waiting for one of the campers to drop. Keep moving everyone! :lol:

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:32 am

No sleeping in a lounge chair, at least.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby gingerK » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 am

Beth, I had questions about that new poster too; just got an odd vibe from her writing. Thank you for being our "policewoman"!

Talking about robins, last year I still saw them around here in November and thought it odd. Then I kept on seeing them through December, January and February and REALLY thought it strange. Thanks for the info about them staying on if they have food source, I never knew that.

Funny you should mention vultures Judy, when we were heading to the KS gtg, we kept seeing vultures, more than I've ever seen in one place before. We have them here of course but only in twos and threes for the most part. There were whole flocks of them circling around and I meant to ask Catherine about them but didn't get a chance.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:08 am

At least east coast vultures migrate and spend the winter in Florida where they entertain themsves tearing up windshield wipers. Florida has a lot of both turkey vultures and slightly smaller black vultures. Can see many hundreds of them in big flocks in Everglades and around Myakka state park.

Don't know if west coast vultures migrate.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm the oddball - I love the vultures - and loved camping under them. It was so much fun to watch them settle into their trees as dusk would approach. Then, mornings, some would be able to fly off sooner than others. You'd be able to watch some until well into the morning still in the trees with their wings out - getting them dry and ready for flying. And, what surprised me the most - they never pooped on the top of my rig. I guess they don't poop where they sleep?

As to these robins - didn't see many the last couple days, but coming back from work we must have scared them into flight - and they were scrambling all around us lol. It's kind of fun, but my first thought the other morning was "The Birds" and Hitchcock, also, just by how they were flying.

As to posters, I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt - and gave her a couple chances - to prove herself or hang herself. She chose the later :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Bethers wrote:
As to posters, I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt - and gave her a couple chances - to prove herself or hang herself. She chose the later :)

Darn, I missed all that! :roll:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby dpf » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:51 pm

t will be dark in about an hour so I’m going to stir up the coals and throw on a little more wood and grab a beer and catch you up on my interesting life. Haven’t posted in a while. First I had a chance to meet Beth and had a wonderful time! Alas, no pictures I’m just not the best camera person. Missy and I had a great trip to the Black Hills and we still might surprise Beth if she wants to meet us in Pierre the beginning of December… if she’s still in the area. The pictures of the GTG in Kansas made me wish we could have made that trip, but it just wasn’t in the cards.

I had an interesting few days at work when I returned from the Hills. The day I came back I noticed one of my workers had on a new sweatshirt and it didn’t look like prison issue but more like the brand we use in the screen printing shop. So I asked to see his number that is supposed to be stenciled in the garments that can purchase from commissary. Didn’t have one. So I called property to see if he had just purchased a sweatshirt…he hadn’t. At that point I looked at the tag in the neckline and low and behold it was the same brand that we purchase for the screening orders. At the point I knew he had asked the guy who fills in while I'm gone to unlock the storage area for the screen shop garments and lift a sweatshirt. While the boss is away... He denied that he had stolen it from the boneyard and said he bought it from another inmate….which is against the rules too. He got fired. He went back to the unit and wrote a grievance against me and said that I had drug him down the hall by his collar and that I had hit him. So I had to be investigated by security. I told them that could watch the footage on camera because there are 16 cameras covering all my shop areas and all I had done was lift up the ribbing on the sweatshirt to see the label in the garment. Then they asked me if I hit him and I said no. Then they asked if I had ever touched him and I said yes once several months ago when we were laughing about a dumb mistake he had made on a report and I had given him a soft “Gibbs” on the back of the head and we had both laughed about it. Well that was enough for security to put me on leave to investigate further. I was sent home September 17-18 and called to come back to work on Friday the 19th. Those two days were paid. They couldn’t find the footage of the Gibbs (it was that long ago) but did see that I didn’t drag him down the hall and only looked at the tag but since I readily admitted that yes I had touched him that I would be given a three day unpaid suspension. So I didn’t have to go to work on the 30th and the 1st or yesterday. The inmate lost his job and got a minor write up for stealing and lying on a grievance and had to pay for the sweatshirt. My boss and human resources director wanted my charges to be dropped but there is an associate warden who does not like me really pushed for the unpaid suspension and they could get it dropped. The rest of my inmate workers and all the guards who have worked my area stuck up for me. It’s turned into a joke in the shop and now every time someone makes a mistake they say “don’t beat me”. So that’s been the excitement in my life. All the suspension did was make me realize how much I can’t wait for retirement on 12/8/15.

Gimme another beer! 83 bottles of beer on the wall. :lol:
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby gingerK » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Gee whiz after all that nonsense you deserve a couple beers!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Pat, it does sound like you need another vacation and a better sub... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk