Ididaroad in Denali

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Ididaroad in Denali

Postby Liz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:35 pm

What is Denali?

Certainly it is the mountain, if you are lucky enough to see it, dominating the landscape, rising stunningly white and beautiful on a clear day.

Yet, it’s more than the big one, it’s the whole Alaska Range, snow-peaked vistas profiled on a field of blue sky.

But Denali is not just the mountains, it’s the wildlife people flock there to see…

The grizzly bears, huge blond bruins:
And brown fluffy cubs:

The moose:

The caribou:

The Dall sheep, traversing the far mountain peaks:

It’s not simply the animals, but the relationship and balance…

Of predators like
wolves
And golden eagles

And prey:
Snowshoe hare
And Arctic ground squirrels

To experience Denali, you must look beyond the mountain and the animals. You must use all your senses

And see the colors of land and sky,

Of rocks, moss and wildflowers,

To notice the shapes and contours of hills, valleys, and rivers

How the roads curve with the land, made purposely to blend in and not detract

The shapes of trees,

Of leaves and butterfly wings

You must take the time to meander down quiet paths

And listen to the sounds of water rushing over rocks,

Insects buzzing, birds chirping, wind in the willows, and nothing else…

To stop and inhale the perfume of wild roses

And smell the hint of wood smoke from a distant tundra fire, set naturally by lightning and allowed to burn unopposed as is the nature of things here. Certain species depend on it…the black spruce cones don’t open and release their seeds until heated by fire. And observe how the smoke mutes the mountainsides with shades of bluish gray

All these things, living and nonliving are braided together like the rivers, dependant one upon the other.

Living harmoniously and blending in perfectly with their environment.

God created it so, in perfect alignment, for no human could so much as create one tiny butterfly

Or one drop of water

So simple, and yet each so complex our human mind cannot comprehend the intricate systems of even the tiniest of things, let alone the enormity of the universe and all that keeps it in perfect balance.

So on this 4th of July, Denali is a symbol of our freedom to enjoy and appreciate God’s bountiful gifts to us, and is a profound reminder of our responsibility to help protect it for future generations.

To take only pictures, and leave only footprints…

And to leave the wild things wild, as God created them.

Denali
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Ididaroad in Denali

Postby VickieP » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Liz, what beautiful pictures you have, each one took my breath, I was like "OHHHH" after each one scrolled up, lol.
I had to go to your member profile to see if you were a writer because of the way you described everything, then I saw you are a retired teacher, I have to ask,,, what did you teach?
Great seeing and hearing an update, wish we could all be there!
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:23 am

Liz, you always do such a great job taking pics and then posting, but this time your narrative was absolutely superb! Well done! Well said! Thank you!
Cedar518

Postby relaxing101 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:58 am

Liz -

Absolutely AWESOME pictures and thoughts!! With having to care for my mother in her waning years, I will probably never have the opportunity to travel to Alaska even though it has been on my wish list for many years but with your pictures and words, I almost feel as though I have been there!

Thank you so much and please, send more!!!

Bonnie

What you do today is important because you are
exchanging a day of your life for it. Make it a good one!
relaxing101

Postby ohlucy05 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:07 am

I agree with the rest - your pictures and commentary are just wonderful and breath-taking.

And I agree with you - all you have to do is look at those pictures and realize that God does great work.

Hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip. Keep up the pictures. I enjoy them so much.

ohlucy
ohlucy05

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:49 am

Your pictures and prose compliment each other so beautifully. What a wonderful job you've done.
Thank you.

mitch5252

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:09 am

Liz, you are one talented lady. This was an absolutely wonderful description - you could do travelogs professionally.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:50 am

As a point of reference, I've 'red-dotted' the visitor entrance (don't know if there's more than one...) to Denali National Park:

mitch5252

Postby Redetotry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am

Thank you so much Liz! I too know I will never go so this is a great experience.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:47 am

Liz, that entire piece needs to be shared with the rest of the world! I'd like to see it on YouTube as I feel it's something that will touch the hearts of everyone that see it!
Thanks again, sweet lady!
AlmostThere

Postby SeeyaGal » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks Liz for showing us the beauty of Denali, I got a DVD of it to show everyone the beauty there. You were very lucky to see Mt. McKinley without clouds. Mt McKinley or as the natives call her Denali makes it's own weather around the mountain.
We saw it in the clear when we were in Talkeetna. It is indeed Gods country, I was just in awe of it's beauty being there and want to go back!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Pooker » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Liz - Your poetic way with words and your eye for the perfect shot are talents we all wish we had. I am so enjoying this journey you are giving me. Thank you, thank you.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby snowball » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm

wow Liz you did good was in the right places at the right time then had the words to express your thoughts so appreciate your thoughts and eye!!!
sheila
snowball

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:43 am

What can I say that hasn't already been said! Each narrative and picture show is better than the previous one-----you have now become a pro at sharing scenery and events and travels. Both you and Beth are making it so wonderful for the rest of us to know the real Alaska. There is no way to thank you enough. I showed my son and Melissa your latest slide show yesterday before they left, and now they, too, want to go there!
Last edited by Nasoosie on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Gentleladybear » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Liz those are wonderful pictures. So glad you got a chance to make that trip through Denali. It is such a beautiful area and so much wildlife to be seen. You have quite an eye for postcard perfect pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Next

Return to General Talk