Good haircut, painful neck - Question for Barbie

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Good haircut, painful neck - Question for Barbie

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:42 pm

I'm posting this here because I thought maybe others might be interested in your advice, Barbie.

As you all know, I am on the road and almost never get my hair cut twice by the same person. I usually go to JC Penney's salon because there is lots of parking and I can do some shopping. However, often, towards the end of my haircut, the person cutting my hair pulls out the electric clippers to "trim up a few hairs on my neck." Most of this time, it is OK, but once in a while it is a very painful experience. I don't know if it the tools they use or how they adjust them, but today, I yelled and jumped as it felt as if the hairdresser was using the electric clipper to take off skin as well as hair. And this was when she first started. She was surprised at my pain and jumping, and then pulled out a couple of razors and finished the job of "shaving" my neck.

My neck was itching and really sore, so I took a shower when I got home and discovered a red scrape about 1 inch square! It is still sore, but better than a couple of years ago, when a hairdresser scraped the entire back of my neck so badly, it stung and itched for a whole week!

So what is she doing wrong, and what should I tell a new hairdresser to prevent this scraping and irritation to my neck?? I figured you must know what I should do.

Thanks
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Good haircut, painful neck - Question for Barbie

Postby Cudedog » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:53 pm

JudyJB wrote:
As you all know, I am on the road and almost never get my hair cut twice by the same person. I usually go to JC Penney's salon because there is lots of parking and I can do some shopping. However, often, towards the end of my haircut, the person cutting my hair pulls out the electric clippers to "trim up a few hairs on my neck." Most of this time, it is OK, but once in a while it is a very painful experience. I don't know if it the tools they use or how they adjust them, but today, I yelled and jumped as it felt as if the hairdresser was using the electric clipper to take off skin as well as hair. And this was when she first started. She was surprised at my pain and jumping, and then pulled out a couple of razors and finished the job of "shaving" my neck.

My neck was itching and really sore, so I took a shower when I got home and discovered a red scrape about 1 inch square! It is still sore, but better than a couple of years ago, when a hairdresser scraped the entire back of my neck so badly, it stung and itched for a whole week!

So what is she doing wrong, and what should I tell a new hairdresser to prevent this scraping and irritation to my neck?? I figured you must know what I should do.

Hi Judy. Sorry you had such a bad experience at the hairdresser. I would be in a rage if anyone ever shaved my skin like that.

My solution? I just never get my hair cut. Ever.

Truly. I think the last time I may have had a haircut was about twelve years ago, for my daughter's wedding. And at that time I gave myself my own haircut.

I almost always braid my hair and pin it on top of my head. Takes seconds to brush and braid. Sometimes, when at home, I will just braid it and let it hang down my back. Easy-peasy, and I don't ever have to worry about hairdressers or haircuts.

Judy, I know this won't help your or most people, but I was feeling typeitive this evening, apologies to Barbie. :roll: :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:27 pm

Anne, I had long hair as a child. I also had a mother who had watched too many Shirley Temple movies and read too many Victorian novels. Basically, I was a tomboy who was always playing outside, and when I was indoors, I was reading books, never playing with all the dolls she bought me. She loved to do my hair in long curls, so I often had to sleep with "rag" rollers even as a child. And she had this belief that if you tugged at hair when you brushed it, it would grow better.

I wish I had some of the pictures of how she sent me to elementary school--frilly dresses I hated, white shoes, two pairs of underwear (one cotton and one frilly nylon which I often ditched during the school day). Oh, almost forgot the pink satin bows in my hair! As you might guess, I was horribly teased as a child. She never caught on, even when I came home really dirty from playing on the playground. As a teen, she encouraged me to wear my hair long and curl it, and unfortunately, I went along with it until I was married, when I got my hair cut short.

I appreciate your advice, and braids and a ponytail might be a good solution, but I like my simple and easy hairdo--just comb it a bit in the morning and forget it all day. It was probably a good thing I had two sons and no daughters because I would probably have neglected her hair as a reaction to my mother!! :o
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Cudedog » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:53 pm

JudyJB wrote:Anne, I had long hair as a child. I also had a mother who had watched too many Shirley Temple movies and read too many Victorian novels. Basically, I was a tomboy who was always playing outside, and when I was indoors, I was reading books, never playing with all the dolls she bought me. She loved to do my hair in long curls, so I often had to sleep with "rag" rollers even as a child. And she had this belief that if you tugged at hair when you brushed it, it would grow better.

I wish I had some of the pictures of how she sent me to elementary school--frilly dresses I hated, white shoes, two pairs of underwear (one cotton and one frilly nylon which I often ditched during the school day). Oh, almost forgot the pink satin bows in my hair! As you might guess, I was horribly teased as a child. She never caught on, even when I came home really dirty from playing on the playground. As a teen, she encouraged me to wear my hair long and curl it, and unfortunately, I went along with it until I was married, when I got my hair cut short.

I appreciate your advice, and braids and a ponytail might be a good solution, but I like my simple and easy hairdo--just comb it a bit in the morning and forget it all day. It was probably a good thing I had two sons and no daughters because I would probably have neglected her hair as a reaction to my mother!! :o

Judy. . . did we have the same mother?? :roll: :lol:

This all sounds very familiar!!

I do most sincerely hope that the scrape gives you no further problems, and that you can find a better hair-cutting person in future.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:32 am

A couple of questions...did the scraping feeling come from the clippers or the "razor" she used afterward?
I suspect her clipper blades needed to be oiled. When they are dry, they will pull the hair instead of cutting it and it can be very painful.

What kind of "razor" did she use afterward? Was it a flat razor? If so, that can scrape the skin and give you razor burn.

I would put some aloe vera on it and maybe some cortizone cream to make it feel better until it heals.

Hope that helps. Sorry you had to experience that. Probably an inexperienced stylist.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:01 am

As former owner of a sharpening shop, I concur with Barbara! And add, it's possible clippers needed sharpening!m I'm sorry you were hurt by having what should be a pleasant experience!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:22 pm

It was definitely the electric clipper. The razors were OK. And I did put cortisone cream on it last night, and it feels better today, though it is still red.

Dull or un-oiled blades make sense. I also wondered if the clippers could be adjusted too close or be dull.

The last time this happened, it was a little sore when she used the clippers on my neck, but it became more sore afterwards, maybe due to hairs growing back through skin??
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Anne, I don't know if it is because our mothers grew up during the depression and took all their dreams for the perfect little girl on us or not. I do know my mother was #6 out of 12 kids, though they were well-spread apart and my grandfather worked throughout the depression, so they were not terribly poor.

I mostly went along with things when I was a kid, but as I got older, I realized my mother got the wrong child when she had me. She was planning on a girly Shirley Temple type, who loved dolls and doll houses. I went more for things like chemistry kits and books. She also kept trying to get me to try various musical instruments. I went through an accordion, drums, and finally an organ, but didn't like to practice and hated them all. I later asked her why she kept trying to get me to play an instrument, and she said so I would be "accomplished" and could get married more easily!!! That's when I realized she was enamored by Victorian and possibly Jane Austin novels of the earlier period.

I do admit she died at age 93 with a full head of hair that had very little grey in it. However, she was very frustrated by how dirty I got on the playground and in the neighborhood, where I climbed trees and we kids dug holes and made forts in the nearby woods.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:25 am

Judy, most clippers/trimmers won't get close enough to the skin to cut or scrape it unless she was holding it at the wrong angle into your skin. So it is most likely the blades were dry or dull. Also, some people just have more sensitive skin on the back of the neck that will react more to a dry blade pulling on the hair.

Get some Aloe Vera get with a pain reliever in it. It is also really good for burns and insect bites.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to General Talk