Upcoming Movies. . .

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Upcoming Movies. . .

Postby Cudedog » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:41 pm

I  watch a lot of YouTube videos for my evening "tv fix".  I have also always loved movies, so when I saw a video advertising trailers for ten "great and amazing" upcoming movies, I decided to give it a watch so as to know what was coming down the pike. Hoping to find something I might look forward to watching.

O.  M.  G.

They were - all of them - so disgusting and violent and misogynistic that I couldn't watch even one of the individual trailers all of the way through.  Spattering blood and guts, sharp-toothed monsters, screaming (men and women!) - the very worst kind of nightmare. 

Truly stomach-churning - if the trailers were this bad, what might the actual movies be like?  I certainly DON'T want to find out.

Seeing such as these (at least what little I saw of each one before fast-forwarding, hoping for something better). . . I can't even come up with a word that is bad enough. . . "garbage" will have to do.   

Watching such garbage advertised as "entertainment" truly makes my skin crawl and also makes me wonder what is wrong with our society? 

How can anyone in their right mind be "entertained" by such as this?

I despair for our future as a people.

Is it just me?  Am I just getting old?

I dunno.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Upcoming Movies. . .

Postby MandysMom » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:05 am

And, that's why I haven't been to a theater in over a decade, maybe even two decades!
I'd much rather be at home, in my comfy recliner, with out pickle of thousands of shows and movies, curated by my son, with our favorite snacks or meal. I'm quite content paying for Hulu and Netflix, ESP at today's theater prices and content!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:59 am

Like Velda I haven't been in a movie theater for years. I don't think since I started rving in 2005. That said, I also have a couple streaming services and if I happen to put on something disgusting it's off in seconds. I've never understood the thrill for many of the movies that do so well. And these days I totally understand the pull of Hallmark and feel good shows.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:08 am

I am agreeing with you 100%! With ALL the things going wrong in our country now, movies are driving complacency to killing, mugging, and other acts of violence. I sometimes wonder what the future holds.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:33 am

I totally agree that all the violence on TV and movies is numbing/desensitizing kids (and adults) to violence. I refuse to watch anything like that. Even commercials on TV for movies and upcoming shows are too gross and violent for me.

I also don't like to watch TV shows where there is a lot of conflict, shouting, arguing, and verbal abuse. I hated the 3 Stooges when I was young and never saw the comedy in that. Also shows like "All In The Family" bothered me because of how verbally abusive Archie was to Edith. I guess that comes from my dysfunctional family life. I have always been very sensitive to that kind of thing.

I have always preferred comedies, romantic comedies, documentaries, feel-good movies, etc. :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:24 pm

With all the free streaming channels I have I really dont lack for finding something to watch. Most of them dont have the current violent movies that are so popular, altho I dont know why people like them. I find lots of movies and shows from several years to many years ago to watch that I missed on the first time around. I dont watch too many Hallmark movies but occasionally I do. Then I have my favorite tv shows NCIS,FBI, TRACKER, WILL TRENT and a few more. That is why I pay for Paramount + and Peacock. I watch Will Trent on ABC live on my antenna but that is the only show I do that with (ABC doesnt have an app) as I go to bed early so need to be able to watch them on demand when I am done with the daily chores and errands LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:22 pm

Karen, ABC is on Hulu. I've watched all the Will Trent there since you mentioned it. So I have Peacock, Paramount Plus and Hulu.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:44 pm

Beth do you have Hulu or Hulu Live tv?

Update: never mind I found it in my saved stuff from when I had Hulu last year. Forgot about it actually. So now I signed up ... good to go now thanks
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby JudyJB » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:06 pm

Ditto everyone's comments. I also have not been to a movie theatre for a couple of decades. On TV, I tend to watch PBS and things like the Smithsonian channel and Science Channel, as well as National Geographic Wild channel. When I do watch movies on TV, they tend to be old ones, and often ones made for kids, like Nanny McPhee, Harry Potter movies, and Ratatouille.

I also go for the older movies. I was chatting with someone a couple of days ago, and she reminded me of a couple of old movies that are beautiful and real tear-jerkers, but not violent. One was "Goodbye Mr. Chips" made in 1939 with Greer Garson. Another one is "The Legend of 1900" made in 1998. This is an overlooked and masterful movie about a newborn baby found on a passenger liner, who is raised by the crew and becomes a piano player, but never leaves the ship. One of best parts is his piano duel with Jellyroll Martin and the scenes of his playing during a storm--don't miss this wonderful movie! Also, loved Lulu and Sidney Poitier in "To Sir With Love." She is still performing, by the way, at age 75.

I also have copies of several film musicals, some of which are available online or on video. One of my favorites is Carousel with Shirley Jones. It has some fantastic dance scenes and excellent music--sad but feel good as well. Other favorite musicals I could watch over and over again are Bob Fosse's "All that Jazz" and "Singing in the Rain", "Oklahoma," "Fiddler on the Roof," "On the Town," "Cinderella 1997", "The King and I," and even the Catherine Zeta-Jones "Chicago."

You can probably get videos of these from your local library, which frankly is a better source than the recent junk.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:54 pm

good bunch of movies Judy .... add to that Man from Snowy River and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.... I remember a movie that I watched when in college a tear jerkier while watching it and later when telling about it and even when reseeing it... now I can't remember the name of it but I bet I could retell some of it and still have tears...
there are lots of really good movies and some that aren't and some that you wold like but I wouldn't and visa versa
I was reading a page in women's world today and it's in another room telling about a tv show that I think many of you all would like I'll try and remember later to get it
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:04 pm

Good additions, Sheila!

Why can't movie makers make movies that have meaning to them and make us feel good, instead of just trying to terrify us and cause nightmares? I know not all life is fun and positive, but at least the good, old movies had themes that taught you something positive about life, even if the lesson was sad.

The new, let's-scare-our-audience-to-death movies present an image of life as being full of violence, and this makes violence seem normal, which is not the best lesson to teach.

I cannot even stand a lot of the TV ads for these awful movies!!!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to General Talk