BUYER BEWARE: Scam - A new, and *different* type of scam.

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

BUYER BEWARE: Scam - A new, and *different* type of scam.

Postby Cudedog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:59 pm

Thought I would share this one with everyone, because this is the first time I have run across it.

I do a lot of my shopping online, it was during a bout of online shopping that I - almost - got sucked into the Great Vacuum of Consumer Doom.

I have been shopping around for a while for a Duraflame electric heater that has realistic-looking "fake flames". This one looks pretty good to me (YouTube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SOVIrVhktM

I want to put this thing - or something like it (suggestions are always appreciated!) - into my fireplace because my fireplace smokes when I light an actual fire in there, plus I want the "look" without all of the mess.

Anyway, I found this exact item on the "Best Buy" website (Best Buy is a discount-type chain. I don't know if it just here in California, or all over the country - but this is what Best Buy is.). The price was good, I was delighted to find this low-priced "deal" on this item.

Since I had purchased items from Best Buy many times in the past at good prices, and with no problems - I - almost! - decided to make the purchase. . .

HOWEVER in looking at the URL (always a good idea to check the URL of a website each and every time you buy something online), I noticed that the URL (the series of letters and number that appear in the window at the top of your browser - for example, as I am writing this post on women.rv the first part of the URL always looks like this: http://womenrv.com).

The URL on the website I was looking at had nothing to do with Best Buy.

In looking at the URL for this alleged "Best Buy" website, the whole page was crisp and clean, totally official-looking just the way it should be, with a clean and crisp image of the Best Buy logo prominently displayed in the exact place the Best Buy logo is always displayed on each page of their websites:

Except for one small problem.

Er, no. Let me carefully rephrase that: Except for one Major Bleeping GIANT Freaking Problem:

Instead of the URL being "https:www.bestbuy.com" (as it should have been), the actual URL was "rip-off-scam.com". (No, it wasn't actually rip-off-scam.com - but I'm not going to post what the actual URL was on here).

I thought, hrm. How very interesting.

So I put this heater in my cart, just to see what the URL of the cart might be.

LOL.

Needless to say, the URL of the cart didn't have anything - at all - to do with Best Buy either, so if I had actually put my payment information in there (name, address, shipping address, email address, phone number, credit card number, bank account number, whatever) there is NO doubt in my mind that I would right now be in a MAJOR world of hurt.

Not only would this outfit have had my credit card information, it would also have had a Big Chunk of my personal information as well (because you need to put in shipping/contact information when buying stuff from a website that you don't buy from all of the time).

SO.

I closed this browser window, opened a new one, and then I moseyed on over to the actual Best Buy website, (you know, the one that actually has bestbuy.com as the URL) and reported that this scam website was using the Best Buy logo to sell stuff.

Or, probably more likely, it wasn't actually selling stuff - it was just gathering people's personal information and banking/credit card information for scamming (identity theft) purposes.

The person I contacted at Best Buy was very appreciative, and said that Best Buy would have the website shut down.

I know that this is kind of a long-winded story, but this just happened this morning, so I thought I would pass it along.

Be careful where you shop online, and always be extra-careful where you put in your personal information.

It's a jungle out there, ladies!!

Please feel free to share this information with your friends, or other social media outlets you might belong to.

You all have a great day.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: BUYER BEWARE: Scam - A new, *different* type of scam att

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:10 pm

Thanks Annie. I too do lots of online shopping. I appreciate the effort you put into keeping us informed! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Re: BUYER BEWARE: Scam - A new, and *different* type of scam

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:24 pm

Anne not sure how you got to the phishing site but they are getting so clever it is scary. Good thing you checked the URL I do alot of online shopping also and if I see an ad pop up after I am searching for something I never click on it, or I will click on it to see if it is something I could use. THEN I go to a website I know and trust. I used to have so darn many ads all the time I switched to the browser called
DUCK DUCK GO it blocks lots of tracking. You can see in the picture below what it has stopped. There are 2 pages but I just wanted you to see the total. Food for thought. I am shopping for a new laptop and I am sure I would be inundated with ads. I still get ads of course but not as many. Sorry the pic is a little blurry but you get the idea

Info on Duck Duck Go
https://duckduckgo.com/&
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Re: BUYER BEWARE: Scam - A new, and *different* type of scam

Postby snowball » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:04 am

Thanks Anne for posting this and Karen for your suggestion... my kids think I am silly cause I rarely if ever shop on line ... if I do it's through someone else I'll gladly give them the money to make the purchase :lol: if I ever join the current way of shopping I will hopefully remember some of what I read
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk