Just How Formulaic Are Hallmark and Lifetime Holiday Movies?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Just How Formulaic Are Hallmark and Lifetime Holiday Movies?

Postby JudyJB » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 pm

Several of you have talked about how Hallmark seems stuck on Christmas movies, and how it gets boring to have them on the channel 12 months of the year. I have watched a few on Hallmark, not Lifetime, but as several of you pointed out, they all seem to follow the same plot. Plus we are getting them 365 days a year, which seems silly to us.

So, The New York Times, has written an article where they have analyzed several years worth of these movies. It is kind of interesting, so I thought I would suggest you read it here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/12/23/upshot/hallmark-lifetime-christmas.html

One thing I noticed in looking at the photos of the female heroins at how similar they all look. First, they all seem to be the same age--mid 30s to maybe 40. Could no one our age or even close to it, be at all interesting to readers?? In addition, while they analyze the movies, the authors of the articles do not say anything about the characteristics of the readers. I suspect most of them are a lot older than 40? Do you agree? Overall, it just struck me that the writers and producers are using the same plots and the same female heroins and male characters over and over, even if their readers are likely to be older. At least I am guessing that we older women tend to watch Hallmark movies because we have more time.

Anyway, take a look at this article if you watch Hallmark Christmas movies or even if you have given up watching them because they are boring, especially in June and July, etc. Whatever happened to summer movies, by the way??
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Just How Formulaic Are Hallmark and Lifetime Holiday Mov

Postby Cudedog » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:12 am

Judy, go to Youtube and search on "Hallmark Christmas movie parody".

There are dozens. :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:25 am

I'll read the article later it's getting late but I did want to point out a misconception .... it's not Christmas movies 365 days out of the year... at least not on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries... and what I see advertised on the channel... they do have a lot of Christmas movies but it's as I recall month of July and start their Christmas 24 7 in Oct but not sure when they also have Christmas movies on one night a week throughout the year like it seems like Thursday night... HM&M I don't think have the July ones but that was month's ago... I'm not disputing that there is an incredible amount of Christmas Movies just wanted to clear up the misconception.... one that may seem like it :lol:
My biggest grip is the reruns you will see the same movie so often and the one new one you missed never comes... :roll:
sheila
snowball

Postby Pooker » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:39 am

Well, as another Hallmark addicted watcher, yes, the whole story is very predictable. They were never meant to be seriously heavy plots. And, yes, probably we steady viewers are older. We may be the ones who are lonely, or a bit sad, missing those we've lost, or just plain bored. However, no one gets shot, no one gets cut up in pieces, and there is no nudity, violence, etc. We can see reality up close and personal every evening on the news. Escapism isn't all bad! Besides, many of these movies have incredible scenic locations which we may never get to see in person! I just wish HM&M would bring back the old mystery movie series where the hero/heroine was a caterer, a contractor, a flower shop owner, a librarian, etc. Those were very well written and acted.

I remember my Grandmother listening to soap operas on the radio while ironing, cooking or whatever and my mother secretly watching General Hospital or All My Children on t.v. and they seem very predictable, too. Anyone else remember the magazines like True Romance and the many others I forgot? My Grandmother loved those, too, and would often tell me she felt her generation surely missed out on enjoying sex, etc.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Redetotry » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:28 am

Pooker wrote:Well, as another Hallmark addicted watcher, yes, the whole story is very predictable. They were never meant to be seriously heavy plots. And, yes, probably we steady viewers are older. We may be the ones who are lonely, or a bit sad, missing those we've lost, or just plain bored. However, no one gets shot, no one gets cut up in pieces, and there is no nudity, violence, etc. We can see reality up close and personal every evening on the news. Escapism isn't all bad! Besides, many of these movies have incredible scenic locations which we may never get to see in person! I just wish HM&M would bring back the old mystery movie series where the hero/heroine was a caterer, a contractor, a flower shop owner, a librarian, etc. Those were very well written and acted.

I remember my Grandmother listening to soap operas on the radio while ironing, cooking or whatever and my mother secretly watching General Hospital or All My Children on t.v. and they seem very predictable, too. Anyone else remember the magazines like True Romance and the many others I forgot? My Grandmother loved those, too, and would often tell me she felt her generation surely missed out on enjoying sex, etc.

I have seldom enjoyed watched movies especially on TV :P but I remember my Granny and I watching As the World Turns soap opera on TV in the late 50's or early 60's but I would have fainted to hear her say her generation surely missed out on enjoying sex!!! I doubt word sex ever passed her lips especially with the word enjoyment. I wish my Granny had been mpre like yours!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:33 am

Evie, I agree with you. I'll go further though and say they have progressed and become more innovative with story lines. That said, I would not want them to lose the feel good formula that works. And they also do innovative shows like "When Calls the Heart" which I think has had 10 seasons so far. I do hope some of the mysteries come back, or new ones start being made. But, like you, sometimes the scenery can steal the whole movie for me with places I've never been especially.

BJ, you just made me laugh out loud. :lol:
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Pooker » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:28 pm

I know just what you mean, BJ - I was very close to my grandmother even into my early marriage years. I think she asked me questions and made comments to me that she would never have dreamed to say to any of the other family members! Totally off subject here, but she also said how lucky she was to have lived in an era that went from horse and wagon to a man on the moon!
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:47 pm

I have seen a few Hallmark movies but am not an avid watcher. I usually turn one on if I am doing something and dont need to concentrate on the movie. I am hard pressed to find a show now on any of the Hallmark movie channels that really sound interesting to me. I like Crime, Mysteries, Dramas. Mini series. So many choices anymore. That is one reason I love streaming. ROKU channel has lots of shows, some old, some new that interest me often.
I used to watch a few soap operas but then I started Nursing school and that all went by the wayside. I tried recording them when I was in school but having umpteen hours of soaps to watch I just didnt have time. I had to study!!! I was in school fulltime, had 2 children, a fulltime job, so nope had to give it up. And I never went back. I knew they were silly but nothing else to watch in the afternoons back then.
Sometimes I struggle to find something light to watch in the afternoons now, even tho I have thousands of choices. So then I read. LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby snowball » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:57 am

to be honest if it wasn't for mom and what she likes to watch I wouldn't be watching much Hallmark movies either although I do enjoy the Movies and Mysteries more than the regular channel... I too like crime have missed NCIS ect I always like to watch ID and the true" crime lol there is going to be a new mystery on Hallmark Movie and Mysteries it's trailer talks about a trial a kid who is sentenced to life and a group of people intent on proving him innocence. looking forward to seeing it... Jan 12 I think
mom doesn't like the shows like Where Calls the Heart too soap opera like I don't get it but that is what is
sheila
snowball

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:02 am

I had Hallmark for awhile. Yes, they all had the same theme and I got bored with them. One or two I can remember and enjoyed them. Overall, the monthly fee wasn’t worth it.
I haven’t had the TV on for two weeks. HOWEVER, I have been spending much time on Utube.
I like the choices I have and TV got to boring. I believe I get more enjoyment from info I get on Utube. I heard an interesting talk in DNA the other day, and also an interesting talk by Leonard Bernstein’s daughter. After listening to her, I put her book on hold at the library.
One day I listened to t The Mormon Tabernacle singing. There is so much enjoyment on UTUBE for me.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Cudedog » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:27 am

SoCalGalcas wrote:I had Hallmark for awhile. Yes, they all had the same theme and I got bored with them. One or two I can remember and enjoyed them. Overall, the monthly fee wasn’t worth it.
I haven’t had the TV on for two weeks. HOWEVER, I have been spending much time on Utube.
I like the choices I have and TV got to boring. I believe I get more enjoyment from info I get on Utube. I heard an interesting talk in DNA the other day, and also an interesting talk by Leonard Bernstein’s daughter. After listening to her, I put her book on hold at the library.
One day I listened to t The Mormon Tabernacle singing. There is so much enjoyment on UTUBE for me.
Lyn

Merry Christmas morning, everyone!!

Lyn, I completely agree with you regarding Hallmark. I subscribed to Hallmark ("movies", I think it was) many years ago and didn't last long before cancelling. I know that many of you here enjoy it, but I quickly found that it just wasn't my thing.

Oh my goodness, Lyn, I SO agree with you regarding YouTube!! Just about anything - and everything - can be found on YouTube. From multiple versions of full-length ballets (Swan Lake is my favorite!) to about a jillion episodes of the true-crime show "48 Hours", to off grid homesteading-in-Alaska videos (my favorite is "Simple Living Alaska" - incredible scenery included https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=simple+living+alaska) to how to make wire-wrapped jewelry, to how to build a house to how to fix your plumbing.

And everything else in between! And many (most?) YouTube videos these days are in fabulous 4K resolution.

It's all on there!!

I watch YouTube on my big tv using my Roku box. Easy peasy.

What's not to like?

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Return to General Talk