Merry Christmas!! Here's where I want to be. . & Dog Rescue

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Merry Christmas!! Here's where I want to be. . & Dog Rescue

Postby Cudedog » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:17 am

Merry Christmas everyone!

Here is where I would like to be on Christmas this year (LOL - same place I wanted to be last year, I think!):

Well, not sure why the above image has stopped showing - but here it is again, if you care to take a look. :-). It kind of looks better this way anyway! (click on the link):

http://bigjoesplace.com/animatedxmas.gif

Instead, I will be right here (as per usual) in the middle of Northern California, at the upper end of the Sacramento/San Joaquin valley.

Snow in the forecast (like in the image)? LOL. Not a chance.

Predicted to be "Sunny" on Christmas Eve day this year, temps will probably be in the high 50's/low-to-mid 60's. "Chance of rain" on Christmas day.

Ladies, what's the weather on Christmas Day predicted to be in your neck of the woods?

Martha, as a "Christmas Treat" for all of us (but only if you are in the mood) I am sure we would all like to hear the story of your Luna - how you found her (we all know you had been hunting for a dog like her for quite a spell), how long it took to go to get to her (Texas sounds like quite a drive!), how did your first meeting go, how is she settling in?

And what is a "Mini-Heeler"? And why do you prefer the herding breeds?

(None of this is any of my business, of course. I apologize for asking. But. . . if you would like to share, I know that I - and a lot of us other ladies on here as well - would like to listen).

Thanks!! :D

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Merry Christmas!! Here's where I want to be. . .

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:36 am

Beautiful picture! I would love some snow here! No chance though. The rain that was promised us has not arrived yet. The sky is beautiful blue with out a cloud in sight. I do need a warmer jacket for my first walk of the day.
My five year old GGD has strep throat.. maybe canceling the plans for Christmas Eve and day!
Have any of you been following the health reports of Celine Dion? Very sad story. I always loved her voice.
The entrance doors to our building are very heavy glass. When I go in or out the lobby staff must jump up and open them for me. Finally the board voted to have automatic system installed. It’s wonderful! Now I don’t have to wait for someone to see me and open the doors!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Irmi » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:56 am

Anne,

The weather predicted for central FL on Christmas day will top off around 74 with mostly cloudy skies and a 60% chance of occasional showers. Steve is going to cook a roast for the two of us on his Big Green Egg and I'll make a couple sides.

December is the only month this year that our temperatures have been below normal. It was 42 degrees this morning when I got up.

Christmas is my favorite holiday because the church will be standing room only for the evening service Christmas Eve. I love playing the Christmas carols and being surrounded by so may wonderful friends. I wish all of you a wonderful Christmas, however you choose to spend the day.
Irmi

Postby snowball » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:19 am

I pulled up the 10 weather report and promptly forgot it... I can't recall although on FB something about Wyoming predicted snow on Sunday and Monday but not sure it said which part of the state :roll: although I have become pretty skeptic about the weather reports... so far those big storms have not been a fraction of what was predicted
We will hope for snow pray for snow be thankful for it but we won't hold our breath
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:15 am

Heavy rains here in the valley Thursday night into Saturday with flash flood watches. Snow in the local mountains. By X-Mas Eve and Day, it will be clear and sunny and a little warmer.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:23 pm

It's suppose to be in the 60's with a little rain for Christmas here. It's 73 today and 70's until Sunday when there's a 90% chance of rain.

Anne, because my husband had cattle and trained cutting horses we alway had border collies, heelers and one Australian Sheppard. My last dog was a blue heeler. I have been on some Rehome Facebook sites looking at dogs. I didn't even know there were Mini-Heelers before I saw them on Facebook. The regular heelers are in the 50 pound range and Luna is 28 pounds. These are very smart dogs, probably a little too smart. The owners met me at a campground and Luna was friendly. She really missed her people after they left but in a couple of days she was better. It looks like she has accepted me as her person. These are very active dogs and she is keeping me busy. We walk twice a day and that helps settle her down. She is a fetching fool. I don't know how long she could go because I wear out before she does. I probably should have adopted a "couch potato" dog. I was checking the local shelters for a dog but all they ever have are pit bulls and pit mixes or labs and lab mixes. The rescues grab the small dogs and charged $350 and up to adopt from them. They wouldn't let me adopt anyway because of the number of cats I have.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:02 am

Acadianmom wrote:It's suppose to be in the 60's with a little rain for Christmas here. It's 73 today and 70's until Sunday when there's a 90% chance of rain.

Anne, because my husband had cattle and trained cutting horses we alway had border collies, heelers and one Australian Sheppard. My last dog was a blue heeler. I have been on some Rehome Facebook sites looking at dogs. I didn't even know there were Mini-Heelers before I saw them on Facebook. The regular heelers are in the 50 pound range and Luna is 28 pounds. These are very smart dogs, probably a little too smart. The owners met me at a campground and Luna was friendly. She really missed her people after they left but in a couple of days she was better. It looks like she has accepted me as her person. These are very active dogs and she is keeping me busy. We walk twice a day and that helps settle her down. She is a fetching fool. I don't know how long she could go because I wear out before she does. I probably should have adopted a "couch potato" dog. I was checking the local shelters for a dog but all they ever have are pit bulls and pit mixes or labs and lab mixes. The rescues grab the small dogs and charged $350 and up to adopt from them. They wouldn't let me adopt anyway because of the number of cats I have.

Martha

Martha, thank you so very much for sharing your lovely story! Luna is certainly one lucky girl!

I have heard stories of "rescues" charging hundreds of dollars in "adoption" fees. While I can see - if only a little - why some sort of fee needs to be charged to recoup expenses - hundreds of dollars seems to me to be excessive. It is almost like they are selling the dogs, and not actually "adopting" them out.

Karen, on a different thread here, suggested that we all might write the "story" of our pups. I will love to write the story of my beautiful Joe, but it will need to wait until after the Holidays. I have really let my housekeeping slide, and both my kids and their spouses are scheduled to arrive Monday (Christmas Day) afternoon for a short visit.

LOL, I have spent the last couple of weeks cleaning house (that's how bad it was!) with still quite a lot to get done over the next couple of days.

On the other hand. . . I just had a phone call from my daughter this afternoon, to tell me she has a cold and might not be able to come after all. This might mean that my son and his wife won't be able to come either. Oh well. This was not news I wanted to hear, but what can one do?

It is what it is, I guess. [sigh]

Thanks again, Martha. You put a smile on my face, and a bit of sunshine into my day. I needed that, and I certainly appreciate it, and I appreciate you!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:11 pm

Anne, I feel like some of the rescues are "selling" dogs too. There was one in Baton Rouge that I looked at that wanted $800. You can't adopt a dog from the local parish animal control. A rescue has to pull the dog and people have to apply to adopt from them. It really makes me mad because so many people won't take care of their dogs. There is a spay and neuter clinic in Lafayette that will spay or neuter a dog for less than $100 and people are too irresponsible or lazy to even bring their dogs there. All of my cats have been to the clinic. They even have a trap and release program for feral cats.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:07 am

I hate seeing the costs, but having volunteered at rescues and humane societies, etc for years, you have no idea what money is going into all the animals. My sister and bil have been fostering two senior dogs that in days of yore would have been put down. As fosters, they don't have to pay the vet fees, but out of the kindness of their hearts they've paid over $500 and won't tell me beyond that. One of the two had to be humanely euthanized last week, but not because of the money needed. The last humane society I was involved with averaged $2 to $5k on every animal. Obviously some less, some more. So they are never getting all the money back on adoption fees. If it's a no kill shelter, they may be taking care of dogs for the rest of their lives. And cats. So while most are more reasonable than some others in fees, like everything else, those costs are going up.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:31 am

I have an issue with one of our rescues. I like to donate locally but this (#1) rescue imports super sick dogs from many states AND Mexico. Then is online begging for money because of the high vet bills. It is a no kill shelter but lets deal with our own areas instead of gathering them from all over. One of the other rescues (#2) I do donate some funds and/or food to them. They stay mostly local or surrounding county. They have an awesome reputation. They were fantastic during the fires, asked for volunteers and got way more than they could use at times. They even let some kids help out, accompanied by parent of course. Cleaning, feeding,watering etc
Now it is good #1 wants to save so many but our need in this county (like most) is pretty incredible they are always full, all of them. AND it is good it is no kill, but a super sick dog with no good prognosis euthanasia is not the worst thing!!!! They have a hospice area which I like and some foster hospice volunteers. They post pictures etc and some of these poor dogs are going thru hell. We also have a feral cat rescue. They help trap them, spay, neuter, shots and treat them for anything needed, then release them back. Most of their kittens get adopted after being vetted and they charge $25-$100 reasonable in my mind.
This is a kind of pet peeve for me how much rescues charge. I understand there are costs involved but if you really want to get these dogs a home then price them accordingly. Would I pay $800 for a rescue NO NO NO I would rather buy a dog where I know their health history and background for that money.
Both our shelters are full and not taking anymore intakes right now and so people (who should be shot) are just turning the dogs loose in the country. Terrible. Some of the homeless take way better care of their dogs. Martha is right the shelters are FULL of Pits, Labs, Large dog mixed breeds. The smaller dogs are snatched up right away. I dont know the answer but it is a sad situaltion
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:56 am

Karen, I never volunteered at a no kill shelter. There's being humane and there's being not humane. It's not humane to keep dogs or cats, etc, that can't have any quality of life (I feel that way about people, also). And I wouldn't pay $800 either. I was hot headed last night writing. But I know how much it costs to take care of the animals. We were contractually required to take in all the dogs the city picked up. Those strays like you say, were almost always the bigger ( and often meaner) dogs, etc. And often had more vet problems, like broken bones etc But not always. The organization I adopted Ty from is an all volunteer group of fosters. I love their work but often they can't help animals because there is no one to foster. My sis and bil are fostering from another group. The two they've helped so far are simply old with age related issues. Very few people want to adopt or even foster them. My sister didn't think it would hurt as much to lose the one this week, thinking they'd be prepared, but it doesn't take long to love them and it always hurts.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:15 am

And the happiness all around when finding the perfect adoption. The man who adopted is a friend of my sister and bil.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=2JQ9oc
Beth
Bethers

Re: Merry Christmas!! Here's where I want to be. . & Dog Re

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:30 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:Most of their kittens get adopted after being vetted and they charge $25-$100 reasonable in my mind. This is a kind of pet peeve for me how much rescues charge. I understand there are costs involved but if you really want to get these dogs a home then price them accordingly. Would I pay $800 for a rescue NO NO NO I would rather buy a dog where I know their health history and background for that money.

Both our shelters are full and not taking anymore intakes right now and so people (who should be shot) are just turning the dogs loose in the country. Terrible. Some of the homeless take way better care of their dogs. Martha is right the shelters are FULL of Pits, Labs, Large dog mixed breeds. The smaller dogs are snatched up right away. I dont know the answer but it is a sad situaltion

Well. Interesting how this thread has evolved. As many threads on here do!! Definitely a sad situation, with no easy solution.

I don't wish this thread to devolve into "purebred" vs. "shelter dog". I don't intend this to be part of this current discussion. Thank you.

Karen, I agree with you 100%. Can I agree with you 1000%? I dunno, I was never so good with math and those percentage thingees - but if I could, I would. Heh.

I understand there are costs involved but if you really want to get these dogs a home then price them accordingly. Would I pay $800 for a rescue NO NO NO I would rather buy a dog where I know their health history and background for that money.

Oh YES, absolutely. I would definitely BUY a dog that I would know their health history, background, TEMPERAMENT, previous situation, etc. etc. etc. before I would pay that kind of money for a rescue that was just one big giant total UNKNOWN.

Here's the thing: A lot of people do the show dog thing. What often happens when a dog's show career has "run it's course" is that the dog is generally responsibly re-homed. There are two-hundred named dog breeds that are registered by the AKC (American Kennel Club). There are other breed registries as well, I'm just speaking of the AKC at the moment. So if one is looking for a specific breed, this might be a good route.

A person that has searched and familiarized themselves with their chosen breed (whichever one it is out of these 200 breeds), and can show themselves to be knowledgeable and caring (although this might take a while - it CAN be done) can often? Sometimes? acquire a retired show dog for little cost.

A retired show dog has some training on them (else they could not be shown in the ring) they are adult dogs when they are retired, they are well socialized (they are used to the noise and commotion of being around literally hundreds of other dogs at any venue where any dog show is being held) and etc.

They are trained to walk on leash (a dog in a show is on a leash) they are trained to be poked and prodded (by the dog show judge, who must "feel" that a male dog has all of his "equipment"), the judge must be able to open the dog’s mouth to check on the dog's teeth, etc. A retired show dog has generally learned to put up with quite a lot - and still be friendly and obedient - and still show that spark of joy that makes (or breaks) a show dog.

Karen mentioned in another thread that it might be fun to create a thread where we all share how we found our dogs. I intend to do this later, but I'll share a little bit about my Joe here.

(Short Version – longer version to come): My breed of choice was and is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I have had this breed of dog for more than forty years.

When it came time for another dog, long after I had stopped showing, and long after my own show dogs had gone to the Rainbow Bridge (advanced age - one of my last girls made it to nearly seventeen), I contacted a man that was prominent in the breed. He responded that he had a dog he was retiring, looking to be placed in a home. After a bit of back-and-forth my sweet boy Joe entered my life. He was about three years old at that time. The only thing it cost me was $450.00 for his plane fare. Joe was in Atlanta, Georgia I was near Sacramento, California.

I got Joe sight unseen.

How could I even consider this? I knew the breed, their characteristics, their temperament, I knew something of Joe’s background, his training, his health, his handling, how he was likely to act and behave if he was typical for the breed. And a show dog must be breed-typical in order to be successfully shown (Joe had been shown to his Championship).

Did I have qualms? Yes. As always when acquiring a new dog – and I had never before acquired an adult dog of this breed. Joe has turned out to be a match made in heaven - closer to me than even my old dogs, that I had raised from puppies.

All of this just above goes back to what Karen has just said: (rather than rescue) “I would rather buy a dog where I know their health history and background. . .”

YES AND YES!!!

Enough on that part of the story.

Now a bit about the (sometimes) costs of Rescue. . . I was quite active in the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of America for about twenty years.

https://sbtca.com/

As in all breeds, there are, unfortunately, always rescues. Most breed clubs have a rescue arm of each club (remember, 200 AKC breeds), who are devoted to rescues of their club's own breed. If a person is looking for a rescue dog of known background, of a specific breed, this might be an option.

Now a bit about the - sometimes - "hidden costs" of rescue.

I contributed generously each year to the SBTCA’s rescue fund. I loved the breed. I still do. I felt it was the right thing to do.

That is, until one year, when the Club Board granted the Rescue Chairman (who lived in Washington State) the funds to travel to England to participate in the British Club’s publicity-generating “Rescue Walk”. (Staffordshire Bull Terriers were originally – and still are - primarily a British breed)

This was done without the knowledge or consent of the club members at large, nor of those who had generously contributed to the rescue fund (in order to rescue dogs - not fund international travel for people!!). This trip only became known later, when an article about it was published in the club magazine.

I never contributed - not one penny - to the SBTCA’s rescue fund ever again after that.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:56 pm

Just a quickie to add to Anne's post. I believe everyone should get the dog they choose. Be it a rescue or a purebred. For myself I loved Laura's dog so much when I decided to get a dog I told her I wanted one like "Harley"....well she got right on the phone and called her breeder who had 4 she was looking to rehome. She was a responsible breeder and would take them back. In fact you had to tell them if you were going to rehome yourself. We drove up to Portland area to check them out. They had a 4 month old puppy (nope I was still working), a black one that kind of had issues they told me, a 4 year old and then a retired show dog, Blossom who came right over and jumped up on me, I petted her and then she went and laid down!!! Yup that is the dog for me. She was 6 soon to be 7, retired show dog, and bred twice (that is all they breed their dogs). On the way up there I told Laura I didnt want the old dog, But she was the perfect choice for me and lived until 14 1/2. As a surprise to me that I found out later she was Harley's mother. How cool was that. They have very few health problems so I knew I wanted another. But none available locally at the time. A breeder from Michigan contacted me privately and said she had 5 week old puppies. WELL I had never ever had a puppy before. Kittens yes Puppy no. She sent me pictures. Sucked me right in. I told her I didnt want a show puppy just a pet. So Emma will be 7 in January. Tibetan Spaniels are fairly rare in the US as compared to overseas. You wont find one in a shelter and if there is one the TSCA snatches it up so they can make sure it would go to the proper home. I bought her for the temperment and how much fun and company she is and how much I missed Blossom. That club has a rescue aided by Susan Waller-Miccio who has written a couple books on Tibetan Spaniels and has a house full herself. I bought the book when I got Blossom. After the fire and she heard I lost my book she sent me one. She has adopted almost all her dogs thru this rescue.
So however you get your dog it is not important, just that you love it and you give it a good home.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:16 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:Just a quickie to add to Anne's post. I believe everyone should get the dog they choose. Be it a rescue or a purebred. . .

. . . So however you get your dog it is not important, just that you love it and you give it a good home.

Karen, thank you.

I could not agree with you more. Your words strike a chord, and you are 100% correct.

Thank you also for your lovely stories about your Blossom. Very much appreciated. She must have been a true treasure, your love for her (and for the beautiful Emma!) comes through so very brightly in your writing.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Return to General Talk