"The Man From Snowy River"

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

"The Man From Snowy River"

Postby Cudedog » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:59 pm

Wasn't sure on which thread to post this on so that all of you would see it - so just decided to start a new thread.

While I was looking for a stream for it, I was surprised to discover that there is the original film (starring Tom Burlinson and Kirk Douglas), a sequel to the original film - and - looks like an entire mini-series (with multiple episodes) with the same title on Amazon.

I haven't seen the sequel, nor have I seen the mini-series.

The one I am talking about, and the one I recommend - for the astonishing horse-riding scenes alone (Sheila, is this the one you are talking about also?) is the original film, "The Man From Snowy River", starring Tom Burlinson and Kirk Douglas.

Enjoy!!

Beth, did you say you knew of a free stream?

It is nice to know that there are so many horse ladies here in the Forum! The breed that I had - trained, bred, showed, raised a few foals - is the Peruvian Paso horse. A wonderfully smooth gaited breed to ride.

Sandi, thanks for posting the photos of your Reno. What a beautiful mare she was! She must have been extremely intelligent - and unusually kind as well - to have safely taken such a young girl on so many amazing adventures.

What a blessing to you to have such wonderful memories of her.

Did you have her to the end of her life? I know that twenty-five is pretty elderly for a horse. I miss my horses also - and I will always love them.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: "The Man From Snowy River"

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:30 pm

Yes they do have a mini series 4 seasons...might be worth watching.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 pm

Well, now I'm finding paid for the original movie. But I can watch the 4 seasons of Snowy River free on Roku or Tubi. I intend to watch that, too. Movies come on and off the channels all the time, so I'll keep looking for the movie free. You can pay for it on both Amazon and YouTube, but I'm going to keep watching for it to be free.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:56 pm

Anne, I bought Reno with my own money I had earned over two years working with my parents and brother building my parents’ dream home in the hills above what would become Silicon Valley. At age 9/10 I became expert it finishing concrete and was solely responsible for weighing (on a baby scale) each different color of marble chips that were mixed with a special colored cement. My older brother did the mixing, my father wheel-barrowed it to the room and he and my mother did the final spreading around. Once completely poured and dried, my father used the machine he designed and built at the NASA workshop to grind it all down until it was ultra-smooth. You often see these “terrazzo” floors in airports, banks, etc. Each room had a different formula for the color of the marble chips and cement and it was my responsibility to make sure those measurements for each batch were correct. When finished they were radiant heated and beautiful. It was during this time that I bought Reno. She was 3 then and she and my dogs were my closest friends. There were no other children on the hill at that time. Reno lived with me for 25 years until she died at age 28. She was the best horse. I could do anything like stand on her back or sit on her backwards (always bareback) while she ran. I still miss Reno and my dogs so much.

Reno and Buster
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:15 pm

I remember seeing the original movie. The scenery was breathtaking!

Sandi, that is a great photo of your horse and dog! I never had a horse of my own but at 8 years old, took Dressage and Hunter Jumper lessons on school horses. Love riding, especially jumping which I was very good at. My dad promised to buy me a horse but never did (one of many broken promises :roll: ). I rode and competed until I was 17 and went to live with my mom.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:24 am

I was totally amazed at the horsemanship and scenery in Man From Snowy River it took several viewings of it to realize that Kirk Douglas played two people in it
I know I have a 8 track well lets say I have the movie now who remembers if it's a dvd or the other lol
sheila
your horse was beautiful Sandi
snowball

Postby Redetotry » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:10 pm

Sandi I love the photo of your horse and dog also the wonderful story of you and your family building your home!! Quite a responsibility for a 10 year old.

Here are a couple of my experiences with horses.

I've been around horses for a large part of my life in fact I tried to trade my baby brother to the man down the street who had several ponies, my favorite, Topsy. I was seven and must have been a born haggler because when he offered a trade I asked if I could also have her red saddle. He said yep so I jumped off the fence where I had been perched as I was afraid of his (and all dogs) and ran home to tell my dad who pretended to go along with me until I went to get the baby. It took a few smacks to convince me as I argued that Topsy had a colt every year that sold for $150.00 and it would be a long time before the baby could earn any money. That baby bother turned 75 yesterday and we talked about my 'deal'.

Later in life I was married to a man who ran the horse program at the local university. A wealthy man donated a herd of about 40 horses, who had been together for about 40 years, to the university. The president of the university wanted them and realized the research potential and told the Agriculture Department he was having a barn built for them with an arena. My husband who was also a farrier was hired for the job of heading up the program. Well the Dean of the AG Dept was not happy but they built the barn and eventually Margaret Mead was very interested and planned a visit to look more into their research. As it turned out though she had to send someone in her place but it was still a huge deal to every one except the Dean. The program flourished and there was always a waiting list for the classes. The President who wanted the horses passed away and as soon as he could the Dean replaced my husband with someone who had no appreciation for the research and the herd of horses were auctioned/slaughtered. I think a part of my husband went with them.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby monik7 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:45 pm

BJ, I love, love, love your story of trying to exchange your baby brother for a pony. :D :D
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Return to General Talk