Thistle and Liz

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Thistle and Liz

Postby Liz » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Two news items from me:

Last week I had to say goodbye to Thistle as he passed over to the “Rainbow Bridge.” At 14 or 15 years old, he had developed several old age and medical issues affecting his life. He was a good traveling companion for all of the years I had him (11 years) and he settled into a comfortable retirement here with still more adventures. He “picked out” the new man in my life when I wasn’t even looking, and it became apparent that I should keep him. I was the right decision. Bob and I really miss him, even the barking. Now we don’t know who is walking by the house. He has a final resting spot in the backyard butterfly garden.

The second bit of news is about me. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Aside from that, it is mostly good news. It is Early Stage 0, confined to the ducts in my right breast. I have opted to have a double mastectomy under the care of the great breast oncology team at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, where I was treated back in 2006 for endometrial cancer. Once removed it is expected I will need no other treatment, chemo nor radiation.

Sorry for the not-so-great news, but I am totally at peace. My two daughters are rallying around and all should go smoothly. I’ll just have to take about a 6-week vacation from my retirement vacation…no kayaking, gardening, limited driving etc.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Thistle and Liz

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:09 pm

The dogs here all send their healing woofs to you and Bob in Thistle’s memory. Over the years they had learned exactly which house to walk towards from the campground when it was time to pick Thistle up for a walk….

Thank you for sharing your health news and am happy to know that those twisted cells got detected early. We will keep you in our thoughts and keep the positive energy flowing your way on this unexpected detour…… keep us in the loop as much as your spirit and energy permit…..Love you
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:15 pm

Thistle was such a wonderful dog for you in all ways. I'm so sorry he's gone, but glad for all the years you had. I didn't know he picked Bob. That's a lovely story and memory to have. Ty and I send you love and hugs. And I have no doubt that you'll fly through this upcoming surgery as they are predicting. Thank you for updating here and sharing with all of us. More hugs!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:22 pm

WOW Thistle sure did pack alot in his life traveling with you and then with you and Bob at home. He was a great companion. I did not realize he was that old. You know so many of us have lost our Rv'ing pups we used to travel with and some of us have new companions. I know they are gone but never ever forgotten.
Liz I wish you well and quick healing and so very glad you caught it so early. I am sure Bob will have to step up some nursing skills initially but sounds like he will have plenty of help. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:46 pm

Loved hearing from you Liz. So sorry about Thistle. He enjoyed a good life with you. Prayers and best wishes as you have your treatment.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:47 pm

So very sorry to hear of your sweet Thistle's passing. When they go it is always such a heartbreak.

Sorry also to hear of your diagnosis. As others have said, glad that it was discovered early, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

My very best wishes to you.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:44 pm

So sorry you lost Thistle, I lost my girl too. Thistle had a great life with you and Bob.

Glad they caught your cancer early and hope it doesn't slow you down too much.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Redetotry » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:24 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery and about the loss of precious Thistle. Sending love and comforting thoughts your way.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby chalet05 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:49 pm

I'm sorry to learn that Thistle is gone. He was such a sweet boy!

Wishing you a quick recovery after surgery! Prayers and hugs.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:51 am

oh my Liz what a double whammy ... so sorry to hear about Thistle he was a great companion and then to find your husband that was so special of him...
and so sorry about your cancer it sounds like you caught it in a good time... prayers for you
and hopefully the required slow down will be a doable
take care my friend
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:26 am

Liz and Bob, so sorry to hear of Thistels passing. Sending wishes for successful surgery and uneventful recovery.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Pooker » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:34 am

Liz,

I second all the thoughts, wishes, and prayers the others have offered. Thistle was such a huge part of your life and it leaves a large hole when we lose them. You have always been a wonderful upbeat person and we know you will manage the surgery and recovery with help from your Bob. I, too, didn't realize Thistle found him for you. Take care.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby asirimarco » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:58 am

So sorry to hear about Thistle. And so glad you caught the big C very early and have made the right decision for you. Our thoughts are with you. I remember when you visited us in Indiana and Bill fixed Bell's wing/arm/leg.. don't remember which. Long time ago.
asirimarco

Postby Liz » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:06 pm

Thank you for all the comments, good wishes, hugs and prayers. Update on me: Good news that the surgery has been scheduled for January 8, about two weeks sooner than expected. Let’s get ‘er done!

My daughters have been very energetic, planning who’s going to help with what and when. I’ll just let them figure it out, lol.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Colliemom » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:15 pm

I’m sorry to hear about Thistle, Liz. But he had a great life with you and then both you and Bob. He went places and did things most dogs could just dream of. I’m sure he’s up at the “Bridge, meeting and playing with all of your dogs that have gone before him.

Also sorry to hesr your cancer bp ews as well. But glad it was caught early. You are in my prayers for a successful surgery and recovery.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Next

Return to General Talk