"Streaming" television programming - I LOVE it!!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

"Streaming" television programming - I LOVE it!!

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:42 am

snowball wrote: Mom would so not enjoy streaming or understand it and how to do it ... me I think once I learned how could do it... part of the problem with recording something (if one knew how to do that) is finding the time to watch it.. one gets stuck in a routine... :roll:

you all have a great day
sheila

Sheila. . . "Streaming" is just kind of a fancy way to say "Watch whatever you want to watch, whenever you want to watch it".

Tons of programming these days is posted online where it can be "streamed" for you to watch (on your computer, or on your tv set equipped with a Roku or similar device), whenever you want to watch it (last time I looked, there were about a jillion episodes of "48 Hours" posted on the free version of YouTube, for just one example).

In the not-so-old days, if you wanted to watch a particular program, you had to turn on your TV set at at a specific date and time - (say) 9:00 p.m. on Saturday night - to watch it. If you forgot to turn on your TV at that specific date and time. . . well, you missed the program you had wanted to watch.

"Streaming" is not related to date and time.

Programming these days is migrating away from this old "date-and-time" method, to. . . streaming. Feel like watching a particular program, at a particular time (that is convenient for you), in more and more cases you can now do it this way.

Not everything is on this way, but more and more things are changing to this method all of the time.

Sheila, I know that you like Hallmark Movies.

Although Hallmark movies are not my particular thing, I just checked, just for fun, and it looks like Amazon is now "streaming" Hallmark Movies. Of course, you must be a member of Amazon Prime (I am already) and after the "7-day Free Trial" you have to subscribe (through Amazon) to Hallmark Movies for $5.99/mo.

Check out this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/ref=sxts_1_0_7afea99e-eb2e-4566-8436-75b72ba9b801?ie=UTF8&benefitId=hallmark&pd_rd_w=4iNiM&content-id=amzn1.sym.7afea99e-eb2e-4566-8436-75b72ba9b801:amzn1.sym.7afea99e-eb2e-4566-8436-75b72ba9b801&pf_rd_p=7afea99e-eb2e-4566-8436-75b72ba9b801&pf_rd_r=FXPEG8R4D3E1Y5B05RJM&pd_rd_wg=ifaUl&pd_rd_r=99196a6e-2b33-4a8e-865a-d55795f9aeea&qid=1702113475

What this means is that you can "stream" any (or all!) of the Hallmark Movies listed under this link, whenever you might like to watch them any day, any time, day or night).

Which is why I love streaming!! :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: "Streaming" television programming - I LOVE it!!

Postby Pooker » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:22 am

I don't have any streaming services, so I know nothing about them, but it appears to me that there are many different streaming services, each with their own offerings and each with their own subscription fee. Many of my favorite series or shows that were "free" on my cable service moved over to a + streaming service that I would now have to pay an additional monthly fee to watch. I already pay quite a bit just to have t.v at all. Adding $5.99 here, $9.99 there, etc. boosts the monthly cost of t.v. viewing beyond my budget. Also, it appears to me that each service only offers their chosen bundle and half of those offered I wouldn't care to watch. Am I wrong in thinking one might need 2 or 3 or more of these streaming services in order to get all the favorite channels/shows?

Remember when t.v. service was free if you just put an antenna on your roof? And when satellite t.v. first came out everything was free, too. Yes, we had a giant dish in the back yard, but we could screen recorded and live shows from all over the country! We especially loved watching live feeds with all their bloopers, etc.

Sigh ---- I remember when television was a new novelty that we all oohed and aahed over. My grandmother had one of the first t.v's in town - a 12 inch table top. In the beginning, only one show was shown each night, usually around 8:00 or 9:00. And usually a variety show (Milton Burl, Arthur Godfrey, etc). or wrestling! The whole neighborhood would show up, sit on the living room floor and marvel at this amazing entertainment brought directly into our home.

Later on, when I was raising my own family, color t.v. arrived and we would sit and watch the commercials for Disney's Wonderful World of Color just to watch something in color! Only one or two shows were in color and we never failed to be awed.

It's hard to keep up with progress (and expensive, too!). Okay, I hear you gals asking, "Who is Arthur Godfrey?"

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:10 am

I am with Anne, I love streaming. There are umpteen channels to stream that are absolutely FREE TUBI, PEACOCK, PLUTO FREEVEE (Amazon;s free channel) are just a few of them. They are ad supported and if you bump up your subscription to pay you can opt for no ads. I dont mind the ads at all. And I like free ha ha. You need to have either a smart tv or a streaming stick (ROKU is my go to) ROKU has so many shows on it, all for free once you buy the streaming stick that just plugs into your tv"s HDMI port. (about $35 depending on which one you want) I bought the Roku Ultra 4k, was $39 at Home Depot I have since bought a ROKU sound bar (refurbished) for my muffled tv, works great and was $80 has the streaming stick built in so only one remote.
I do pay for a few channels for winter. I have Netflix, and Paramount + that will last me the winter. Spring and summer I dont watch much tv so can cancel them then.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:47 am

Evie, I don't know what you're paying for cable, but I elect to pay for a few inexpensive streaming services because I want their programming. Total monthly, under $20. That's it. And I have way more choices than with having cable. Including all the free ones I have hundreds, probably thousands of options of what to watch and can still moan that there's nothing on lolol That's just me being fussy. (Karen, Peacock isn't free but the version with ads is very inexpensive, lol)

Like Anne and Karen, I use a Roku device. I'm actually planning to purchase a Roku TV for the tt which doesn't have a TV.. You simply need an Internet connection to stream and I use the hotspot on my phone which has unlimited data. That cell phone service is $25/mo, include my less than $20 and I'm spending less than $45/mo for cell service, Internet and TV.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:12 am

It's hard to keep up with progress (and expensive, too!). Okay, I hear you gals asking, "Who is Arthur Godfrey?"
Evie[/quote]

I remember Arthur Godfrey from radio and TV. I worked as a hostess in the dining room of at a local hotel in the mid seventies. He donated a lot of money to build the local university's aviation program and was here to host a dinner. He called for room service and when I asked who it was I said OH I remember you and started to say I love your horse (forgot it's name) and realized he might not want to be remembered for his horse so I blurted out Oh I like you. Well...he appeared later and brought me one of the beautiful orchid leis that he had flown in from Hawaii for the event.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:53 pm

Yes, I also remember Arthur Godfrey. Sort of! I was a small child back when he was first popular.

BJ, loved your story about Mr. Godfrey. Thank you for posting it.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I don't pay anything for streaming. Nada. Nothing. (I only mentioned the Hallmark Channel in my original post as an example - I don't subscribe to the Hallmark Channel, nor will I).

Of course, I do pay for my broadband connection, but I don't pay anything at all for any tv "subscriptions". And I watch at least two or three hours of tv per night. Twelve years ago, when I first "cut the cord", there were "only" about three-hundred (free) channels available via my Roku device.

These days (in addition to all of the free channels Karen mentions - many of which have myriad sub-channels of their own), if one factors in the free version of YouTube (which has multiple "programs" on ANY subject one could possibly imagine - and, like Karen, I generally just skip through the ads) I would say that the program choices are not in the thousands, or even in the tens of thousands - program choices via Roku are virtually unlimited.

Truly!! I have been doing this Roku thing for a number of years.

Check out Roku:
https://www.roku.com/

As time goes by, more and more "regular" television programs (by "regular" I mean scripted shows) are being posted to YouTube for one's viewing pleasure. Over time, I have found that the plots of scripted shows are much the same - just the names and actors have been changed. Bore-ing!

And, in the last year or so, Roku has developed their own "channel" (which consists of myriad sub-channels of mostly free programming - a lot of older tv shows and such - and if it isn't free - most of it is - I don't watch it.)

All one pays for Roku is to buy the Roku box. That's it! No subscription fees after that - unless you want to pay them for particular channels. I don't!! And, by the way, these Roku devices never seem to give out. The one I have is at least six, maybe seven years old. I forget, but it is still going strong!!

Here is a list of Roku boxes (starting at $24.99):
https://www.roku.com/products/players

I notice that the Roku box I have isn't even listed anymore, probably because it is so old. But it still works fine!!

Roku is easy to use, pretty much "plug and play", meaning that you put batteries in the remote, plug the device into your tv, and you are off to the races. The only thing I might say is that Roku might not work on tv sets older than about ten years old. But if you are an Amazon customer, buy it from Amazon - if it doesn't work with your tv, just send it back for a refund!! A person can probably also return it to most Big Box stores.

The only thing I pay for is my internet connection. That's it. I don't pay for cable, I don't pay subscription fees for anything.

If anyone has any questions, please do ask. Not only do I LOVE streaming, I also LOVE my Roku!!

And, nope, I don't hold stock in Roku, nor do I sell the things, nor have I ever been paid to promote the device. Just sayin'!

Thank you.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:00 pm

Anne, frugal me would probably not have paid for any of the streaming services. But since my total outflow is less than my cell phone alone was two years ago, I consider it closer to free. :lol:
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:09 pm

Bethers wrote:Anne, frugal me would probably not have paid for any of the streaming services. But since my total outflow is less than my cell phone alone was two years ago, I consider it closer to free. :lol:

Me neither, Beth! Why pay when a person can get so very very much for (nearly) free?

I'm sure you know this, but I'll mention it anyway for those who might just now be exploring their streaming options: There are pay streaming services, and free streaming services (the free version of YouTube is but one free streaming service.).

The only thing I pay for is my internet connection, and well, yes, my cell phone service.

In this, you are definitely doing better than I am! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:15 pm

Well guess I am not as frugal as some of you LOL I do pay for a couple services only because I got them on sale on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Paramount + is CBS and I like their shows and some of the sports and news. (NCIS< FBI< CSI etc) I got it for $1.99 month. I can cancel anytime. I got HULU for 0.99 a month. So no I dont mind paying. I absolutely will not have cable or satellite ever again. I will never in my wildest dreams ever run out of stuff to watch ha ha I do also have Netflix as I like some of their original shows, movies and older shows have all the seasons. This is my winter splurge because summer I am way too busy LOL Amazon prime video is a given only because I have Amaazon prime. I dont watch too much on Amazon tho so I would never pay for the video channel but it comes with Prime. I dont go out to movies, or dinner (very often) or spend much on entertainment so this is my splurge in my life.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby snowball » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:04 am

I am pretty sure that when I get back to my trailer I will be doing the streaming bit for now I will do what we do ... one thing with Hallmark and it's channel's they repeat often and usually one can see it again
sheila
snowball

Postby Pooker » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:24 am

Thanks for all the info, girls. All I knew about streaming was the ads I see on t.v.! I'm such a dinosaur, but I know practically nothing about all of this and it still sounds confusing. I don't even know how or where to begin. How do I know my television will accommodate these free services? Where I live, our HOA contracts with Frontier and t.v., internet, and land phone are bundled in a package. It has changed companies over the years from a private provider where we had wonderful cable service which even included our own closed circuit channel where we could get info on what was going on in the community, buy/sell items, have a guide, etc. The private owner retired and no one wanted to buy the business, so our HOA had to go out for bids. Our equipment - cables, boxes, etc. are very old and none of the big boys wanted the expense of replacing 50 year old wiring, etc. Verizon was the only company to bid, so we got verizon and lost most of our perks. After Verizon replaced most of the equipment, Frontier took over. Hence, I know nothing about services - only the confusing bundle choices we had from many, many neighborhood meetings and presentations when Verizon was courting us.

My brain is exploding with questions. Do you have some sort of guide that tells you what is on where? Do I just go out and buy a Roku whatever? And plug it in where? Since this community is in a bowl with mountains completely surrounding us, our signals are a bit sketchy. For instance, internet works fine in one room (or on one side of a room) but not fine or not at all in other spots. Would that even matter?

I'm sorry everyone, for taking up so much time and space. I know I'm older than most of you, and we senior seniors feel left behind with fast moving technology. Many of my friends and neighbors don't have computers or smart phones and some probably can't afford to buy them anyway. I have both, but still feel left behind because how on earth did you even find out about all these wonders?
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Redetotry » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:16 pm

I'm with you Evie it is too complicated. I work a lot on my computer but I really don't like TV much or listening to music plus we have 3 very old TV's that all the new devises won't work with. DH keeps wanting to get new TV"s but I would be the one turning it on and off for him. It would be a great business for a teenager or probably even younger to start up a business helping people set this all up.
I don't know how some people and it isn't all older people do business or make appointments as everything has changed to online plus every time they 'improve' something that works well it is twice as difficult. So I definitely understand your frustration.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cudedog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:36 pm

Evie!

Thanks for the questions! I love questions!

Probably answering your questions will lead to more questions - this is good!! This is fun for me!

Now, lets get started. :D

Pooker wrote:I don't even know how or where to begin. How do I know my television will accommodate these free services?

First of all, you need to have a new-"ish" television set, of the kind that has a slot (sometimes on the back, sometimes on the side) that will accommodate a USB plug (a USB plug is the kind of plug that is on the end of your mouse, where it plugs into the slot on your computer) On Edit: (sorry, it had been a late night. Or something! :lol: ) (Correction: The USB plug information is incorrect. The correct information is a HDMI slot, and a HDMI cable with a HDMI plug on the end of it. One end of the cable plugs into the tv, the other plugs into the Roku - or similar device.). Many/most television sets made over the last ten years will have at least one or two of these slots.

And you also will need a Roku device. Price starts at around $24.95, pay once and you are done, unless you want to subscribe to something.

This slot is where your Roku device will plug into your television set. Once the Roku is plugged into your television set, the Roku will automatically connect itself to the wireless connection in your home.

Pooker wrote: Where I live, our HOA contracts with Frontier and t.v., internet, and land phone are bundled in a package. It has changed companies over the years from a private provider where we had wonderful cable service which even included our own closed circuit channel where we could get info on what was going on in the community, buy/sell items, have a guide, etc. The private owner retired and no one wanted to buy the business, so our HOA had to go out for bids. Our equipment - cables, boxes, etc. are very old and none of the big boys wanted the expense of replacing 50 year old wiring, etc. Verizon was the only company to bid, so we got verizon and lost most of our perks. After Verizon replaced most of the equipment, Frontier took over. Hence, I know nothing about services - only the confusing bundle choices we had from many, many neighborhood meetings and presentations when Verizon was courting us.

Forget about the "confusing bundle of choices". There is only ONE thing you need - from Frontier - in order to be able to stream, and that is a reliable broadband internet connection. That's it. More than likely you already have this.

And for others that may be reading this, if you want to be able to stream television programming, the only thing you need from your internet provider is this broadband connection, from whatever provider you might choose. Frontier is but one of these, there are many different broadband internet providers across the country.

Here where I live I have ComCast Xfinity.

Pooker wrote: My brain is exploding with questions. Do you have some sort of guide that tells you what is on where?

Well. . . yes and no. The Roku device will put a “search” screen on your tv, you can type in what you are looking for. Same with YouTube – you can bring up YouTube through your Roku device, and type what you are looking for into YouTube’s own “search” screen.

Other "channels" will have sub-channels with a scrolling listing of date and time of their programming.

One thing I should say here – if you are fond of the current filled-to-the-brim with commercials shows on the television networks these will not be free, but will require a subscription. I have not watched these scripted shows in at least ten years, and I don’t miss them at all. But – to each his own.

Pooker wrote: Do I just go out and buy a Roku whatever?

I suggest that you first determine if you have an actual broadband connection from Frontier. Probably you do – but it is (slightly) possible that you don't, and that your internet connection is only suitable for sending emails and such. In order to stream video (television programming) you must have a strong and fast broadband internet connection.

This is information you should be able to get from your HOA (LOL, probably if you phone your HOA and ask, they will just say "I don't know"), or get the information from Frontier directly.

I would be happy to do some internet sleuthing for you to find out about Frontier in your area – but that might not let me know what kind of contract to provide what kind of internet connection your HOA has with Frontier.

Pooker wrote: And plug it in where?

For convenience sake, let me just repeat what I wrote above (and this only applies to the Roku device, which I have – there are other devices that do much the same thing, but I am not familiar with them):

First of all, you need to have a new-"ish" television set, of the kind that has a slot (sometimes on the back, sometimes on the side) of your tv that will accommodate a USB plug (a USB plug is the kind of plug that is on the end of your mouse, where it plugs into the slot on your computer). (Correction: The USB plug information is incorrect. The correct information is a HDMI slot, and a HDMI cable with a HDMI plug on the end of it. One end of the cable plugs into the tv, the other plugs into the Roku - or similar device.)

Many/most television sets made over the last ten years will have at least one or two of these slots.

You plug the Roku device into one of the slots on the back (or side – wherever they are) of your television set in order to be able to stream. Once plugged into your tv, the Roku automatically connects to the wireless internet in your home.

Pooker wrote: Since this community is in a bowl with mountains completely surrounding us, our signals are a bit sketchy.

Mountains being all around should not matter, because all of the streamed programming comes over the internet – it’s not like in the old days with mountains blocking the signal to the tv antenna on your roof.

Pooker wrote:For instance, internet works fine in one room (or on one side of a room) but not fine or not at all in other spots. Would that even matter?

Yes, it would matter because streaming comes to you through your internet connection. You need a strong broadband internet connection in order for streaming to be able to work.

The fact that internet seems to work for you in one room, or area of a room, and not the other might (or might not) be a problem. It all depends on how internet comes into your home.

Does it come into your home on a wire, and is this wire is connected to a modem or router? If yes, the internet signal in your home will be the strongest where it is nearest to the modem or router.

Was this modem or router provided to you by Frontier, or did you purchase it yourself?

If the router or modem is on the older side, it may need to be replaced. I don’t have Frontier in my area (so I can’t speak for them), but many internet service providers will replace an older modem/router to their customers for free. If yours is an older modem/router that you purchased yourself at some time in the past, likely you will need to buy a new one.

Why? Older modems/routers are slow. Newer ones are faster. MUCH faster. Speed is the key for trouble-free streaming.

Evie, if your community has a wired broadband connection (for example, a wired connection from Frontier comes directly, and individually, to each home in your community) you should be good (notice I say “should” here).

EXCEPT (here is a possible “gotcha”, but probably not): If your internet comes to you as something called “Wi-Max”, this means that there is a tower somewhere broadcasting an internet signal to everyone in your community, all at the same time.

This can cause bandwidth (bandwidth just means how much data – what percentage of an electronic signal comes though and how fast it can come through) problems if everyone in your community decides to get on the WiMax all at the same time.

Since WiMax is a “shared” connection (shared with everyone else in your community, and maybe also shared with nearby communities as well) if everyone is on the WiMax at the same time, the flow of data (the streaming) will slow down so much that the streaming will not work.

Pooker wrote: I'm sorry everyone, for taking up so much time and space. I know I'm older than most of you, and we senior seniors feel left behind with fast moving technology. Many of my friends and neighbors don't have computers or smart phones and some probably can't afford to buy them anyway. I have both, but still feel left behind because how on earth did you even find out about all these wonders?

Oh my goodness, Evie, you are NOT taking up time and space! I am happy to help with this in any way that I can. I would even be willing to come to your home to figure it out for you, if you were not some few hundred miles from me. Truly! :D

Evie, you are very courageous in seeking out "all these wonders" all on your own, as you do here! Fellow seniors helping fellow seniors!! I LOVE it!!

Evie – You CAN do this. Despite all of the unfamiliar words, like WiMax and Bandwidth and modem and router and streaming and all of that other claptrap it really is a simple process (despite all of these big new words) and easy to do.

If you would care to let me know what general area you live in (I am NOT asking for your address, so please DON’T give it – because women.rv is not a secure website) I am happy to do some internet sleuthing and find out what I can find out about the services provided by Frontier.

There are other ways to do this as well – I know that Beth uses her smartphone to do her streaming, but I can’t speak to that because I am unfamiliar with this method.

And, oh yes – you say you are probably “older” than most ladies on here. Well. . . I doubt it! I don’t share my age on here for security reasons – but I am definitely “up there”!!

More questions, Evie, please ask!!

Thank you. This is fun for me, and I enjoy helping people discover what is available to them.

Thank you for giving me the chance to help. :D

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby chalet05 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:29 pm

Evie, I know this only because of my daughter - if your Internet, cable, and phone are bundled together and you drop cable, the prices for the others may go up.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Cudedog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:46 pm

Thanks, Anita! Good comment!!

chalet05 wrote:Evie, I know this only because of my daughter - if your Internet, cable, and phone are bundled together and you drop cable, the prices for the others may go up.

Evie wrote:

Pooker wrote: How do I know my television will accommodate these free services? Where I live, our HOA contracts with Frontier and t.v., internet, and land phone are bundled in a package.

Evie, I'm thinking that you live in a home or mobile home community where the HOA contracts directly with the internet service provider (in this case, Frontier), bundling everything into a package, correct?
That it is the HOA that is contracted with Frontier who provides the "package" and not you, as an individual, correct?

In our conversation, to be clear, we are not talking about dropping part of your bundle (which might not be allowed under the HOA contract with Frontier in any case), but we are just trying to find out if your internet connection - as it currently exists - is fast enough to support video streaming. Yes?

Thanks, Evie!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Next

Return to General Talk