"Streaming" television programming - I LOVE it!!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: "Streaming" television programming - I LOVE it!!

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:01 pm

Just a comment. I'm streaming with my Roku using the hotspot on my phone which looking right now only has a two bar connection. It's not having any trouble. And the Roku Plus into your TV and also has a plug into an electrical outlet. So you might have a good enough connection from Comcast. But the worrisome part would be the places in your home that aren't getting a good connection.

My biggest problem with streaming using Roku is I have too many choices and sometimes can't find what I'm looking for lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:52 pm

One way to test your internet speed is
speed test

this one is for frontier
https://www.highspeedinternet.com/tools ... t/frontier

this site answets alot of questions you still might have.

My Roku uses an HDMI cable then I can use the USB end for power from the tv but I plug it in to the extension and then into a power outlet instead of the tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnxwGNhmYA

You are bundled because that is what your HOA offers, that is fine no worries. This would be in addition to your tv options separate from Frontier, Only part you will be using is the internet.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:05 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:One way to test your internet speed is
speed test

this one is for frontier
https://www.highspeedinternet.com/tools ... t/frontier

this site answets alot of questions you still might have.

My Roku uses an HDMI cable then I can use the USB end for power from the tv but I plug it in to the extension and then into a power outlet instead of the tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnxwGNhmYA

You are bundled because that is what your HOA offers, that is fine no worries. This would be in addition to your tv options separate from Frontier, Only part you will be using is the internet.

Thank you, Karen.

I stand corrected. My Roku also uses a HDMI cable, and the HDMI input slot on my television. Not a USB cable and port.

My Roku came with the HDMI cable, I'm not sure if all of them do.

Sorry for the misinformation.

The link Karen included was for the Roku streaming stick, which works just as well as the Roku box. I have the Roku box.

Here is a video on how to install the Roku box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVi8hw5qBeQ

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:06 pm

Thanks Karen. Mine uses the same connections.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:13 pm

Using the Frontier speedtest tool that Karen mentioned (thanks, Karen!), I have download speeds of about 250 mbps, with upload speed of about 5 mbps, which are more than adequate to do streaming.

Evie, if you have these kinds of internet speeds - and if you have a HDMI slot on the back (or side) of your tv - you might be good to go with a Roku.

Here is a photo of an HDMI port on the back of a tv set. Locations of these ports can vary between tv set brands. Most of the newer tv's - about 10 years old and newer - have them.

HDMI cable:

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:24 pm

Cudedog wrote:Using the Frontier speedtest tool that Karen mentioned (thanks, Karen!), I have download speeds of about 250 mbps, with upload speed of about 5 mbps, which are more than adequate to do streaming.

Evie, if you have these kinds of internet speeds - and if you have a HDMI slot on the back (or side) of your tv - you might be good to go with a Roku.

Anne

Just checked my phone and I've got 38.3 download and 4.01 upload, telling me "your Internet connection is fast. You Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time."

I'm happy. That with 2 bars right now if 4g (it fluctuates between 4 and 5 g here). And I only steam over thing at a time
Beth
Bethers

Postby Pooker » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 am

Wow, Ann - Thank you for the terrific info. My youngest son visited yesterday and I told him about your tutorial. He not only knew all of that, but also had used free streaming until his RV park stopped offering internet. Hope he didn't feel bad that I hadn't asked him all my questions, but this post happened to trigger my interest. I don't think my internet problems are a Frontier problem, but probably our very old wiring and cables. Now that I think about it, my son downloads movies when he visits while sitting on my patio, so it can't be all that bad.

I sure do appreciate how we help each other. Thanks for spending so much time on me. Guess I'm not quite as uninformed as I thought I was and discovering I may have my very own tech guy at my beck and call is comforting. I do miss some of the old shows, especially the murder/mystery series types that used to be on Hallmark Murder and Mystery channel like the Gourmet Detective, or the one with Jewel where she was a contractor, Brooke Shields as a florist, etc. Somewhere along the line they dropped the mystery from HM&M. My whole family was addicted to Good Witch, even the mathematical oldest son we lost 2 months ago. But I'm not sure there were more of these made anyway, but I have seen ads for other series or shows that said they were moved to whatever plus streaming service. Lots to consider.

BYW Anita, yes I believe the fees on the two remaining bundle items would go up if I were to drop the cable, but I do like to watch the local news, Good Morning America, etc. so I wouldn't cancel the "free" cable.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Cudedog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:38 am

Pooker wrote:Wow, Ann - Thank you for the terrific info. My youngest son visited yesterday and I told him about your tutorial. He not only knew all of that, but also had used free streaming until his RV park stopped offering internet. Hope he didn't feel bad that I hadn't asked him all my questions, but this post happened to trigger my interest.

Thank you so much, Evie.

Always - always! - happy to help!! :D :D :D

Don't know if you read through the entire thread, but I made an error (too many sleepless nights, I guess! :roll: :lol: ): it is not a USB cable that goes between your tv set and your Roku (or similar device), but rather (as both Karen and Beth accurately pointed out - thanks, ladies!) an HDMI cable.

So your tv would need to have at least one (newest tv sets often have more than one) HDMI slot in which to plug in your HDMI cable. This cable goes between your tv and your Roku.

Pooker wrote:I don't think my internet problems are a Frontier problem, but probably our very old wiring and cables. Now that I think about it, my son downloads movies when he visits while sitting on my patio, so it can't be all that bad.

As to your comment that your son being able to download movies while he is visiting might mean that your internet is "good enough" for you to use a Roku for streaming - well - maybe, maybe not.

It depends on what connection he is using to download these movies (I am assuming that he is downloading movies to his smartphone).

Is he using your Frontier wireless internet connection to do this? Or is he using the wireless internet connection provided by his smartphone service to do the downloads?

These can be different.

For example, your internet connection is provided by Frontier. The internet connection on his smartphone might be provided from a different carrier - maybe Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.

So your son may have a "stronger" internet connection on his smartphone than you do from Frontier, which might enable him to do the movie downloads while he is visiting.

If you have any more questions, please DO ask!

One of the (many) things I love about Beth's forum is that it is so very often "Seniors helping Seniors". Thanks to all of you ladies on here!

Evie, my very best wishes to you!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Redetotry » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:42 pm

I just had a message from AT&T saying that something called Max is included with my wireless plan at no cost I just have to download the App. Does anyone else have Max?
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:57 pm

Redetotry wrote:I just had a message from AT&T saying that something called Max is included with my wireless plan at no cost I just have to download the App. Does anyone else have Max?

Max is what used to be HBO and Cinemax.
Beth
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:29 pm

BJ just make sure it is from AT&T Tons of scammers out there. I have been messaged that a certain app is free.........when I went to the site no such offer. Been getting alot from Spectrum too. Also Verizon which I dont have!!!!!
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:49 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:BJ just make sure it is from AT&T Tons of scammers out there. I have been messaged that a certain app is free.........when I went to the site no such offer. Been getting alot from Spectrum too. Also Verizon which I dont have!!!!!

BJ, I second what Karen said. Scammers love the Holidays!!

This one might be kind of tricky - you say that you have AT&T as your "wireless" plan. Do you mean that AT&T provides your cellphone service? Your internet connection? Your television service?

Or all three?

If AT&T just provides your cellphone/smartphone and/or internet connection service - but not your television service - be wary. For example, why would AT&T provide you with "Max" (a television movie channel) if they are only your internet/cellphone provider (and not your television provider)?

Possible, perhaps. Check directly with AT&T before clicking on any download links.

And if AT&T does provide your television service - also be wary!

There is no reason that I can think of that you would need to "download an app" in order to get this "Max". If AT&T is providing this "Max" to you as part of your television service it should already be on your list of channels.

No download required!!

These are my thoughts. I respectfully suggest you contact AT&T directly before attempting any downloads.

Here is some more information:

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1385723/

Look for the drop-down menu:

How do I check if my wireless or internet plan includes the Max
benefit?

"Sign in to your myAT&T account and look for your package or plan info.

Have questions? Contact us."

ON EDIT: Here is another AT&T link regarding MAX:

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1385723/

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Redetotry » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the information on Max and the AT&T 'offer'. I have AT&T for my landline phone and our cell phones. I don't have the plan that includes Max for free per the last link that Anne shared.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:14 am

Evie, just revisiting this thread for a bit - have you had any success in finding a way to stream?

Hope so! :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:27 pm

This is Very interesting and Very confusing. This past weekend one of the big football games was shown on Peacock ONLY. You should have seen all the angry screaming!!! I fear that with all the streaming, one will have to buy them all just to see a show they like! I pay for Paramount + because of the soccer games. However, that is all I watch on that service.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Previous

Return to General Talk