The Art of Diamond Painting

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

The Art of Diamond Painting

Postby Colliemom » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:09 am

I really hadn’t heard of Diamond Painting till I saw Carol’s that she posted a while back and then saw it up close when Shipshewana on the Road was here in October. A store called Diamond Painting Depot from WI was there with displays and kits. Neighbor bought one and I thought what the heck, I’ll try it.

The kits come with a tray, wax, a drill placing pen, tweezers and there may be some other things depending on where you order it from. Or buy at a craft store. Mine came with all of that plus sime multi spacers and the pink thing can be slipped on the drill pen to help in holding it if you want. The multi spacers are for times when you might have a big section of the same color. They let you pick up 2, 4 or whatever drills, and place them on the canvas at the same time, rather than one at a time.

Sounds a bit intimidating, but there are tons of videos on it out there and sites like Diamond Painting Group on Facebook where you can get tons of advice. In all actuality, it’s easy. And very addictive :lol: There’s all kinds of accessories, light boards, magnifiers etc. you can get to help read the letters, numbers and symbols in the canvas. It’s like doing a paint by number. Everybody finds their own method, there’s no tried and true. That Diamond Painting Group I mentioned, is over 56k members. It’s one of the fastest growing hobbies in the country. It’s really relaxing and even if you’re a person with little patience for projects, you might find yourself actually enjoying it. Like one person posted on the Diamond group, it’s not a race to the finish line. Take your time and enjoy it. You can always put it away for a while and pick it up later. There are portfolios to store them in. My neighbor did 3 Christmas themed ones and has them framed on her walls for the holidays. She plans to take them down and replace with others she will do after the holidays.

This is my work area. I’m using my kitchen table as there’s plenty of light there. That’s important. And like Carol, I found a hand held flashlight really shows up the numbers, letters etc. I do have a light board on order that you can lay the canvas on and it lights it up from underneath, really showing up the pattern symbols. I’ll post a picture after I get it.

The canvas comes with a cellophane cover as you can see in the one Carol posted. The canvas has an adhesive on it to keep the diamonds on. It’s important to keep it covered to keep from sticking to it yourself, keeping dust, lint etc. or fur kids like cats from walking in it. You just peel back a small section to work onit. You don’t have to keep the cellophane on. There are special made release sheets you can order or use parchment paper. I used parchment paper and just cut a bit for a section as ai go along. I prefer to keep my completed aras covered to keep off dust till I’m done. Personal choice there. You can see where I have made cuts at the top

Everybody finds a way to store and work with their diamonds, also called drills. Some like to have a bunch of trays to keep each seperate, some keep them in their individual bags and just pour them into the trays when needed and return leftovers to the bag. And some like me, buy cases with plastic bottles and put the drills in them. I just pour out what’s needed and return them to container after I finish with them. I like this case because everything can fit into it if I want to put it away for awhile. After I’m finished I will put the remaining drills back in their bags to store and use the containers for the next painting.

So now I am just moving along slow but sure. No hurry to get it finished. Just enjoying it especially in a cold snowy day. That plus other things will make my winter fly. Carol, we can compare notes. Off to get the vacuming done and then sit down and close the gaps in the section I’m doing and start the last part of the top.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: The Art of Diamond Painting

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:54 am

Looks like that will definitely keep you busy. I know I could not do it. I dont own patience!!!!! I am an "instant gratification" kinda gal. And with my eye issues I would never be able to see well enough. I do like jigsaw puzzles and have done several of the 1000 pieces but find now I want to do the 500 piece puzzles LOL I do jigsaws on my computer and I can pick the size I want LOL
You and Carol are into this and it is nice to have a hobby.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:13 am

Sue, thank you so much for the in-depth description of what Diamond Painting is all about.

Sounds like you are on to something!

Hope you continue to enjoy it. Please post a photo of your snowman once you are finished.

Thanks!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Colliemom » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:15 pm

I will post a picture Anne. I have to tell you, this is a picture f two deer. Hard to see, but they will define more as I progress.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:16 pm

Thanks for the detailed info, Sue. But instead of convincing me to try one it's convinced me that it's not for me. But I'll enjoy seeing yours along with Carol's and anyone else who does try.

Karen, I used to love jigsaw puzzles, but not so much anymore, either. And prefer the smaller ones now if I do one, also
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:56 pm

The diamond painting has really helped me keep my cool. When I get frustrated with Bill I sit down and do it for a while, calms me down. I was surprised I could do it as I have essential tremors and my hands shake like crazy - can't read any thing that I write - but I can do this by keeping my arm steady on the table just moving my hand. Besides the flashlight I also have a magnifying glass to use. Here are a few that I've done. Bill made the wooden frames years ago from a piece of wood we found out in the desert, for the sunflowers and rooster
asirimarco

Postby snowball » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:30 am

my eldest daughter has done some not sure how many she says it really relaxes her being a 2nd grade teacher she needs it :lol: I am not sure if I would enjoy it perhaps but right now I'd not have a place to set it out at and I am busy with my hand projects.... itching to get back to working on a Swedish weave but want to finish the shrug first...
keep showing us your hand work
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:04 am

If I could find a small kit, I would like to try it. Most of them seem to be quite large. My neighbor makes these and the ones she's shown me are beautiful!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:44 am

I'm with Beth and Karen, for many reasons, it does not appeal at all. I didn't like paint by numbers either amd never finished one, tossed it, as I got bored. For those who love it, more power to you. Hobbies are good. I prefer my tiny stamped and painrted watercolors, which I can complete in minutes and toss if I goof, without regret as its only paper, and I can use my supplies/stamps/paper/pens, to make another. As to "fastest growing", I have to wonder if that is calculated on kits sold, rather than kits completed! I bet lots of kits are bought , person gets bored, and kit eventually tossed. I'm glad 2 of us enjoy it, it's just not for me.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:36 am

Barbie
my dd made me a book mark so they do come in smaller kits... guess it might be were you look
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:32 am

Finally finished the one I started this thread about

Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Irmi » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:16 am

That turned out really nice, Sue. I like the frame, too.
Irmi

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:39 am

Looks very nice! I bought a 12"x12" kit at Hobby Lobby before Christmas. Will hopefully find some time to start it soon.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:14 pm

It looks lovely, Sue.

Thanks for sharing.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:56 pm

Love it, Sue. I like the simplicity of frame you chose, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk