Australia Visit

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Australia Visit

Postby monik7 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:20 am

Uluru’s origin goes back about 500 million years which means it’s 250 million years older than the dinosaurs. It stands 318 metres above the surrounding desert and measures eight kilometers around. Uluru also extends at least 2.5 kilometres down into the ground. Rainwater flowed down the mountains, eroding sand and rock and dropping it in big fan shapes on the plains. The whole area became covered in sea. Sand and mud fell to the bottom and covered the seabed, including the fans. The weight of the new seabed turned the fans into rock. The sandy fan became sandstone while the rocky fan became conglomerate. 400 million years ago, the sea disappeared. Rocks folded and tilted as the earth’s tectonic plates shifted and Uluru tilted 90 degrees. Over the last 300 million years, the softer rocks eroded away, leaving the spectacular forms seen at Uluru today.

I tried to keep the above description as short as possible. Following are some pictures I took today (Friday).

This is an example where weathering eventually caused a whole section to fall off.
These are wall paintings made by ancient aboriginal people.

Tonight we watched the sunset and also a light show after dark. We were driven by bus to an open area for the light show. After visiting Uluru in 1992, English artist Bruce Munro, best known for immersive light shows, came up with the idea for the presentation we saw tonight. Leaving the bus we walked a short distance in the dark and then saw 50,000 square meters of lights all powered only by energy received from the sun during the day. We were allowed to wander along a dark, winding path with thousands of lights on both sides and glowing in various colors. While it’s hard to describe to give it due credit, I can assure you it was absolutely amazing seeing the lights as far as the eye could see. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what my daughter and I saw.

My daughter Shannon enjoying this unique presentation
I especially liked this one because you can see the constellation Orion above the lights on the left. Look for the 3 stars going horizontally forming Orion’s Belt.

I hope you can at least get an idea as to how unique and beautiful this presentation was.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Re: Australia Visit

Postby MandysMom » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:09 am

Spectacular scenery! Thanks for sharing!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:04 am

So pretty! Love the red rock with the lines and shapes made over eons by erosion and weather! The lights are really cool too. I am sure seeing all that in person is SO much more amazing!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:26 am

Sandi, I have seen many photos of Uluru over the years, but never a photo of the close-ups and unique angles you show here.

Thanks for sharing!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:39 am

Sandi, Spectacular! Such interesting geology, I am so happy you shared this with us, as my traveling days are over. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:16 pm

Thank you! Gorgeous.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:28 pm

Wish I were there! Looks gorgeous.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:43 am

all of it was totally amazing... there is just something about the red rocks that calls to me... so glad that you got to go
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:48 am

Spectacular photos Sandi. Your descriptions made me fell like I was right there. Thanks for sharing.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby mtngal » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:53 pm

Stunning!
Diana
mtngal

Postby monik7 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:29 pm

Before we left Urulu yesterday we made a stop at a camel farm. As you can see they had a lot of cute additional animals to look at

Soon we’ll be going to the airport here at Alice Springs and head to Adelaide. From there we’ll take the car onto a ferry going to Kangaroo Island. I’ll try to get some pics from the ferry.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby chalet05 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:33 pm

Love it!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:35 pm

Ok, Sandi, now you've got my two favorite things.... Beautiful scenery and any animals. Keep these pictures coming!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:21 am

It’s after 8:00 pm here on Tuesday and we just got back to the rental we arranged. We started off early this morning by heading to the ferry that would carry us to Kangaroo Island which is south of Adelaide. It was quite a new experience for me. I had never seen a car/truck ferry before or seen one loaded by just driving our car aboard. This is what the ferry looked like along with Shannon ready to drive it on.
One of the first animals we saw was an echidna Shannon saw along the side of the road. Strange looking animal and he scampered off quickly.
Image is
Then while driving we came upon a man who was photographing along the side of the road. Turns out he was filming a cute koala and Shannon got this photo.
Later on we went back and saw the mom also had a baby we didn’t see before. This is the best photo we could get.
We went on a guided tour of the area where seals congregate and Shannon thought these three were the cutest.
Shannon and I donned helmets and went on a jeep ride through the sand doons. That was fun!
Beautiful ocean view. That’s all for today.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

monik7

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:49 am

Oh, Sandi, definitely a trip of a lifetime. And you aren't fine yet. Wow!
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk