What brand of major appliance **NOT** to buy?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

What brand of major appliance **NOT** to buy?

Postby Cudedog » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:02 pm

Well, I guess it's that "special time of the year" again.

You know, that time of year when all of your major appliances seem to crap out all at the very same time, just when the relatives have announced they are all definitely coming for Chrismas this year. :(

I have needed a new clothes dryer for a while - the one I have is "only" fifteen year old or so (it might be older than that, I don't remember), and doesn't automatically shut off. The problem is, that in order not to have to get out a loan in order to pay my utility bills, I have to do my laundry in "off peak" hours.

Like, after 9:00 p.m. at night.

The problem being, when I throw a load into the dryer after 9:00 p.m., I am likely to fall fast asleep sitting on the couch, so the dry will be running. . . more than a few hours. Sometimes. What with the electric rates here in Northern California, I could have already bought a new dryer with the dryer running all of the time.

I know, I know - I could set the alarm clock on my phone to get my attention, but I never seem to remember to do that.

I also would like (notice I didn't say "need") a new dishwasher (mine, which is maybe 16 years old, has been broken since right after the start of the pandemic, 2020 or so). But a dishwasher will probably have to wait.

Anyway, I know that from past conversations on here that a Samsung is *definitely* NOT the brand to buy. Thanks Velda!

By the way, Velda, did you ever get your refrigerator problem straightened out?

Anyone have any thoughts on brands they like? Brands to steer clear of?

The one (slightly) good thing about all of this is that the Black Friday sales are on this week, so this might be a good time to buy.

Looking forward to all of your input.

Thanks!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: What brand of major appliance **NOT** to buy?

Postby JudyJB » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:46 pm

The only thing I can say is that when I lived in a house and condo, I always bought the most basic model of whatever is was because I figured all the bells and whistles on the newer and fancier models just gave you more to break. My dryer had high, medium, and low heat, and a timer setting that estimated when something was dry. On the other hand, every time I go to one of my sons' houses, their washers and dryers have 15+ settings each--very confusing. Theirs are like computers, but I can't imagine someone really needing a special setting for every item.

My aunt swore by Maytag, but they were too expensive for me.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:43 pm

I agree about the more basic models. I have friends that love or hate just about every brand lol, including Samsung. But it's probably about Samsung, too. Best Buy has a decent price on an Insignia which has good reviews. It still has more than I'd need but way less than most today.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6 ... Id=6420142

Good luck!

I haven't used a dishwasher in years so wouldn't miss that. On Arizona I have a mini washing machine but hang things out to dry. I like hanging things out, but it's been too rainy here so ice been using the washers and dryers.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:48 pm

When we moved in here after the hurricane I bought a Maytag washer and dryer because the sheriff's brother had an appliance store. Harold was friends with the sheriff and it was his decision. The dryer door was too heavy for the plastic hinges and kept breaking. It was definitely a design flaw but Maytag wouldn't pay for the new door. I replaced the door twice and the third time the door broke I got something else.

The dryer I have now is a Frigidaire. It recently had an error code so I called a repair place. I looked it up on the internet and it was about the heating element. It was still heating but I'm alway afraid of a fire. The repair guy said the dryer was 12 years old and it sounded like the motor was also making a noise. To repair it would be about $400. He said to just use it until it stopped drying and buy a new one. That's my plan.

My washer is also a Frigidaire and I hate it. It's one with all the washing settings and it thinks it knows better. If it's unbalanced it will keep filling up with water, draining and spinning. I don't dare go off with it running. The next time I buy a washer or dryer I'm getting the one with the fewest settings.

I don't know anything about dishwashers. I have never used one enough to wear one out.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Pooker » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:14 am

I imagine this thread is a sore spot with a lot of us! I have lived in this older mobilehome for 13 years. Over the first 8 years or so I have replaced every single appliance, heater, A/C, etc. except the kitchen gas stove. It's appalling that the standard life for anything today is about 7-8 years at best. Plumbers, electricians, repair people have all told me the same thing. I think years ago, in my raising children years, my washer and dryer ran for 15 years (and for all I know, are still running!). I moved a 7 year old refrigerator from New England when I moved here to So. Calif. It ran for the 17 years I lived in the larger community before moving here and I decided it would be too expensive and not smart to move it here. It was still running like a top! The fridge here quit the second year I was here. It was about 7 years old. Wonder if my old double door Frigidaire is still running back at the old house! I don't remember my Mom or my grandmother ever having to replace their appliances.

I have replaced the hot water heater twice. The A/C blew up (literally, it gave a huge bang and caught on fire!) so had to get new A/C and furnace. Uncle Sam has decided what a full load of clothes should be in my newer washer - it's 2/3rds full. And what the "hot" temp. will be - tepid - because it always adds cold water even when choosing hot. And the many cycles? The agitator still swishes at the same rpms on the delicate cycle as it does on regular. It just stops every so often, probably to let the delicate things get slightly untangled before beating the heck out of them again.

I'm not sure one brand is actually any better than another, and I always used to buy the simplist, no confusing cycles, model available, too. Those simple ones don't seem to exist anymore.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:25 pm

I have lived here 13 years. When they built this condo, they put GE appliances in all the condos. We have replaced the refrigerator once. The stacked washer/dryer as well as the dishwasher are still going strong. As there is only me living here now, maybe that is not a good
Compare system.h
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby monik7 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:41 pm

LG is a no-no as far as I’m concerned. I’ve had multiple problems with a refrigerator and washer. Never again. My daughter has sworn off Samsung.
Randi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Redetotry » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:31 pm

If you could find an older ( pre pandemic) model buy it unless LG, Samsung or Kitchen Aid. Pre Covid Maytag, Frigidaire Whirlpool were good especially Maytag. Watch local ads as when some people buy new houses they want to sell there appliances.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby JudyJB » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:43 pm

All this reminds me that when my parents were married in 1938, my grandmother bought them a new refrigerator. We used it in our home, and then when we got a bigger one there, we took it up to our cottage, and it was running at least until 2001 when we sold it. It did not have a separate freezer compartment with a door and it was not self-defrosting, but it ran an awful lot of years.

I have no idea what I will end up with when I quit motorhoming, but this conversation is interesting to me.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:25 pm

I don't trust Samsung as both a fridge (ice maker) and a Samsung tv failed prematurely . The Samsung fridge still runs and is in my kitchen. We just have o go buy ice.
My dishwasher is a Bosch and has been worth the extra cost as we use it daily.
My washer and dryer are Lady Kenmore, large capacity but not very top of line. The washer is front loader and both have been reliable.
One freezer is Sears, the other Wards! Both chest type, the only type freezer ill own.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:51 am

I'm not going to chime in about an specific (because I can't remember the brand) but something to think about when getting a fridge although it just dawned on me that you were going for a washer and dryer... oh if one is looking for a fridge make sure that you can reach all the way back ... my sister got one that reaching in the back was difficult for my short arms!!! and to wash the shelves well not easy at all in fact I couldn't figure it out something to consider... and if you get a washer that is a top loader same thing my dd has one that I almost can't get stuff out of .. :lol: :oops:
sheila
snowball

Postby dpf » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:11 am

Speed Queen washers and dryers get excellent ratings and they have an excellent warranty
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby JudyJB » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:52 pm

My cousin also has a top-loading washing machine I cannot get stuff out of, and I ran into one like this at a campground. I am too short, as are my arms! It would be terrific for a large family when you want to wash a lot of sheets or blankets in one load, but most of us do not need that capacity.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby MandysMom » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:20 am

I chose a front loader this last go round , not because of my height (I'm 5'6") or my arm length, but because I read a lot about them and wanted front load. It's a very large capacity and has been wonderful. I can wash big blankets or just a few things, but if I had a smaller capacity, I'd have to haul large stuff to a laundromat- no thanks. The other thing I chose was pedestals, with drawers and to finally switch washer to left and dryer to right, because that makes more sense with me being right handed. Moving clothes from washer on right to dryer to left always felt awkward to me. It's amazing how a little thing like switching them made such a difference in less twisting and moving.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to General Talk