Amazon Shopping

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Amazon Shopping

Postby Colliemom » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:23 pm

For those of you who love Amazon shopping, tbere’s an interesting article on page 8 about online shopping Amazon. Scroll down to Page 8.

https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/m ... r-2023.pdf
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Amazon Shopping

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:33 pm

That's been true forever. No matter how or where you shop, buyer beware. And I'm not sure why you targeted Amazon. The article mentions several in the same category.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:20 pm

I buy LOTS from Amazon. I always look at the shipping time and the seller and read the reviews. And how many reviews there are. I have never had a problem returning anything. I just take it to the UPS store they scan the code Amazon gave me on my phone and bam I am done. It also doesnt have to be in original packaging in most cases. They just throw it in a bin and send it back to Amazon. Then they wholesale things out in their kind of an outlet store. Wish we had one of those close to me. My friend has picked up some great bargains there. I personally buy from Amazon and Walmart most of the time. Our town doesnt usually have what I want so instead of scouring several stores and still cant find it, I just order it. So much easier. But I am a long time shopper on Amazon so I pretty much am aware of what and where things come from.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:24 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:I buy LOTS from Amazon. I always look at the shipping time and the seller and read the reviews. And how many reviews there are. I have never had a problem returning anything. I just take it to the UPS store they scan the code Amazon gave me on my phone and bam I am done. It also doesnt have to be in original packaging in most cases. They just throw it in a bin and send it back to Amazon. Then they wholesale things out in their kind of an outlet store. Wish we had one of those close to me. My friend has picked up some great bargains there. I personally buy from Amazon and Walmart most of the time. Our town doesnt usually have what I want so instead of scouring several stores and still cant find it, I just order it. So much easier. But I am a long time shopper on Amazon so I pretty much am aware of what and where things come from.

I'll second all of what Karen wrote.

I have been making purchases from Amazon for at least 25 years - starting back in the day when the only thing Amazon sold was books. Anyone else remember those days?

I have bought literally thousands of items from Amazon over the years, with never a problem of any kind. Always fast shipping and easy returns. I hate chasing around all over town looking for something that I need and not being able to find it - I have learned to just order whatever-it-is from Amazon in the first place, and save all of the running around.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Colliemom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:33 pm

I didn’t target Amazon AARP did. They just want to make people aware of the practices these companies tend to follow. The Amazon of today is not the same Amazon it was years ago. They as I’m sure you know, have lawsuits filed against tthis year by the FTC and 17 States. What comes out of it remains to be seen. Two have been settle out of

But this in no reflection on anybody in here as I know a lot of you like to shop with them and They do have things you can’t get elsewhere. Just passing along info I came across. Like we do when we share scum info stuff. I personally feel, after having two credit card fraud’s from ordering through Amazon. I also do not like being constantly bugged about getting a Prime membership as I rarely order from them. But that’s just me. I have since severed my relationship with them. But actually, But I buy little online anyway and when I do, it’s from companies that have been around long before Amazon, Walmart and others ever existed :)

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/pr ... poly-power
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby MandysMom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:57 pm

The only CC fraud I've experienced had nothing to do with Amazon. I quit AARP long ago because I don't like their political views, therefore don't trust their advice. I've only had a few issues with Amazon through the years: stupid weekend delivery people who can't read delivery instructions (which I discuss with the shipping manager every few weeks), and the occasional lost item or damage, which Amazon promptly takes care of. I get several packages a week and, yes, Anne, I've shopped Amazon since they only did books!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Redetotry » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:23 pm

MandysMom wrote:The only CC fraud I've experienced had nothing to do with Amazon. I quit AARP long ago because I don't like their political views, therefore don't trust their advice. I've only had a few issues with Amazon through the years: stupid weekend delivery people who can't read delivery instructions (which I discuss with the shipping manager every few weeks), and the occasional lost item or damage, which Amazon promptly takes care of. I get several packages a week and, yes, Anne, I've shopped Amazon since they only did books!
Velda

Velda There are several sites with false information and here is an explanation of one about AARP. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/aarp- ... tic-party/
Part of the article says. "The AARP lobbies the government on behalf of causes that affect people aged 50 and older. Those activities may include taking a stand on health care and Social Security.

In terms of candidates and political parties, however, AARP's official position is that it is non-partisan. The organization states it "does not support, endorse or contribute to political candidates or parties."

Instead, per AARP, the organization's role in terms of election politics is "connecting voters to information about where the candidates stand on issues most important to them including the future of Social Security and other critical issues related to financial security, health and well-being."

We checked the AARP's federal campaign finance data using the website Open Secrets, a project operated by the government accountability organization The Center for Responsive Politics. We found no contributions to any political candidates or parties, Democratic or otherwise, from AARP, the organization. However, contributions from individuals who work for AARP is another matter.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:20 pm

I am also a huge Amazon shopper. The only issue I ever had was that Lectric ebike I ordered and never got. But that was a third party item and Lectric's ad was being hijacked by a scammer that cut the prices way down on the bikes to sell a ton of them and, of course, not deliver. Amazon finally, after several phone calls (and lots of complaints by other shoppers who were scammed) refunded the full cost. Lectric got control of their ad back and wrote an explanation and an apology to their shoppers about what happened. They are one of the leading ebike companies.

I also check the reviews, and not just the summary of good reviews vs bad, but actually read thru the reviews. Sometimes they steal a bunch of good reviews on items that have nothing to do with what they are selling. So I read them to make sure the reviews are for the item I am considering. Returning stuff is a breeze now that I can take it to Kohls right across the street from work.

I don't order on WM site too much anymore but I did just order a tire air compressor that was on sale from $60 down to $20. Otherwise, I mostly just shop in the store (too easy since I work inside WM! :roll: ).
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to General Talk