Hurricane Wednesday

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Hurricane Wednesday

Postby Cudedog » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:06 am

Really tired, so went to bed very early last night (at least for me) at about 9:30 p.m., hoping to sleep all the way through the night (for a change).

Nope.

Awake again at about 3:30 a.m., finally decided to just get up for the day at about 4:15. Six hours will generally do it for me, at least most nights, although I was hoping for more. Put out the trash cans (which I was too tired to do last night) and dialed up the internet to see what the hurricane is doing to Florida.

At 5:00 a.m., looks like it is just now coming ashore in northwest Florida near Tallahassee as a Category 3. Not at all good, looks like it might still be a hurricane as it marches on through Georgia and the Carolinas.

I guess I need to stop complaining about the heat and wildfires here.

Will go onto YouTube in a bit to see if there is any video posted of the storm as yet.

Hoping that all of our Florida members are staying safe, and that the damage is not too great.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Hurricane Wednesday

Postby Liz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:21 pm

Trees down all over the village, some major damage to a few neighbor’s homes, but ours, Nan’s, and Birdie’s all appear to have survived. Haven’t seen picture of backyard yet, so may have done tree damage to sheds that we can’t see. Neighbor across from me has 3 big pine trees down through her house. Likely destroyed. Blue house beyond us has multiple trees down snd at least one appears to be on her house.
Praising the Lord I have not heard of any injuries yet. 2 dds and sils are coming this weekend with pickup trucks, generators, and chain saws. We tentatively hope to go back Friday, but access to and through the village are blocked by downed trees right now.

Keep our village in your prayers. I cry for those who have lost homes, but thankfully I have heard of no injuries.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby MandysMom » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:46 pm

Liz, so glad you are all ok. In my thoughts and prayers!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Glad you are okay. I see the damage and feel sorry for some of the people BUT homes can be replaced (just ask me how I know). Lives cannot. I hope there were no injuries or deaths.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:02 pm

Great to hear you and others made it through unscathed. I hope there were not others with injuries or worse.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby snowball » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:31 am

I found it so glad that you and the others are ok... but feel bad for others in your village that didn't fair as well... it sounds like you will have lots of help
prayers for al of you and the recovery efforts
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:16 am

Liz, glad to see your house survive, but it looks like quite a few trees in the woods behind your house came down. Sorry to hear about your neighbors who had trees land on their homes. Lucky they weren't home when that happened. I saw video of the town where the hurricane came ashore and the trees were just being torn apart like toothpicks!

Also saw video of someone driving down a highway when a tornado came across in front of them and took the car ahead of them, tossing it up in the air, and flipping it on it's roof into another car! I sure hope those people survived that! It looked horrifying!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks for posting Liz. Been very concerned about you folks in Dowling Park. Glad to hear your home isn’t seriously damaged. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Liz » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:07 pm

We were lucky. Lots of major damage around the village. We had numerous large trees down in our backyard. Two landed on our house and took out both carports. The living areas of the house are ok.Family worked tirelessly, got both trees off the house and were able to clear about half of the backyard of trees and brush. They also tarped holes in roofs for 3 neighbors. Next door and across the street homes are unlivable.

The good news is the power came back on today! We are blessed with a wonderful community who pulls together in times of need helping each other. National guard, FEMA, are here and the president flew over.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. We are fine. Recovery for the Village will take awhile.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:13 pm

So glad you evacuated and are OK! Lots of work ahead of you but carports can be replaced. How was your shed? Looked like a tree may have landed on that too from a photo I saw earlier.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:54 pm

Thank you for the update, Liz. I'm glad it wasn't worse and I hope your insurance helps. And love to the family and community that is working together to help everyone get through this.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk