Slides or no slides??

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Slides or no slides??

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:53 am

What is your experience and/or opinions on RV slides? Yay or nay? Good, bad, etc...
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Slides or no slides??

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:07 pm

My first rig had a slide, my current doesn't. I went by if I could be comfortable without and I'm fine without in this model. So it's one less thing to go wrong. I was always shutting the slide in the first rig if windy and that was a pain. If you go with a slide make sure anything you need is not blocked with the slide(s) in.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:22 pm

Well, this is annoying! I had a detailed post ready and was proof reading, and phone rang. I set tablet down and when I picked it back up, my post was missing! I'll try again.
I travel only short term, my class B has no slides and I dont miss them. If I went full time, as Beth said, they are something to consider. They do add to weight, and require regular maintenance. Some brands of mechanisms are more prone than others to failure. I'd definitely make sure I knew where manual retract handle and mechanism is and how to use it, just in case. As to weight, I've noticed a manufacturer will often build several different lengths of a model on the same chassis. It stands to reason if you take the same, say Ford, chassis and build it as a 1slide, 25 ft rv, it's going to be lighter and have better carrying capacity than the same chassis with 4 slides and extended rails to build a 30 ft rv. Slides would certainly be nice if long term camping such as winter at Quartzite. Weight deducts from miles per gallon too. I know of people, couples even, who full time in a 22-24 ft class B, no slides, but Mel and I were challenged with tight togetherness in our 22 ft, though by myself it's ok and I'd be fine on longer trips. Just not a lot of storage.
Happy shopping! Do get professional licensed inspection on any used rig!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:04 pm

I loved having slides. I had 3 of them but I had a big Class A. I lived in my RV tho for 11 years while working. Before the fire I was looking for a smaller rig as I retired andI would just be camping and I would have had at least 1 slide. I could not have manually moved any slide in, it takes tremendous strength (like 3 men and a boy) LOL THAT is why I always had Coach Net or similar. You can alway call a Mobile service also. I had to do that twice but other than that no problems. I really think it is a personal preference and your style of living.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:01 pm

The motorhome I have now has the sofa slide out. It makes it more comfortable having a slide in the kitchen/living area but I don't always open the slide. If I'm only going to be somewhere one night I don't bother to put the jacks down to open the slide. So far I haven't had a problem with it. Like Beth said, one more thing to go wrong. Just be sure the slide doesn't block something when it's in, like the bathroom.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:18 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:I loved having slides. I had 3 of them but I had a big Class A. I lived in my RV tho for 11 years while working. Before the fire I was looking for a smaller rig as I retired andI would just be camping and I would have had at least 1 slide.

Karen, this surely does brings back the memories! When we first met - I think it was at the Eagle Lake GTG - you were in your Class A (as I was camping in teensy my cargo van - with my dog and my cat. . .), and you invited me to come inside (LOL! Even though there weren't showers available at that campground! :shock: :o ).

I probably have never told you this - but I just about instantly dropped dead right there on the spot. Your rig was so freaking beautiful, I could hardly stand it. More like a lovely small apartment than an RV. Up until that very moment, I had no idea what a Class A could be like.

I can definitely see why you had many happy years in that rig!!

Do you still think you might get another rig someday?

PS. Thanks again for showing me around inside, that very first time we met!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby monik7 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:11 pm

I bought my class C 25’ rig new and had it for eight years. It had 2 slides and I never had a problem with them. They sure made being inside more livable for my 2 dogs and me. Buying a used one will be different requiring detailed inspection of all areas in the hope you won’t have problems down the road. Good luck. I’m excited for you.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Cudedog » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:19 pm

Barbie!

Exciting time for you! Hope you have a quick sale, and find the MH of your dreams!

None of this is any of my business (LOL - when did I ever let that stop me from blabbing?), but I often check the Sacramento Craigs List for motorhomes. Not serious, but just for fun.

I haven't, of course, been to look at any of these in person, I know nothing about any of them, but some of the prices seem pretty sweet.

HaHa, I'll bet those of you on here that know a LOT more than I do in the MH department will jump in to tell me that these are makes/models to steer WAY clear of. . . but I just had a good report from a doctor visit, so I'm on a roll!!

Here are a couple sweeties to be found in today's Sacramento Craig's List (probably some really good buys in your area as well - MH's have come down in price considerably, since I was looking the height of the pandemic:

2014 Thor FourWinds 28' Class C - $24,900
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d/auburn-2014-thor-fourwinds-28-class/7648920472.html

2004 Gulfstream B Touring Cruiser - $32,000
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d/lincoln-2004-gulfstream-touring-cruiser/7646377644.html

2003 Volkswagen Eurovan Vista Motorhome - $21,500
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d/mather-2003-volkswagen-eurovan-vista/7644513297.html

2001 Dynamax Starflyte Class B 21' Motorhome - Low Miles - $27,995
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvd/d/rocklin-2001-dynamax-starflyte-class-21/7640503517.html

2019 Thor Majestic 25ft- Refurbished - FREE WARRANTY INCLUDED-CALL NOW - $35,350
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvd/d/sacramento-2019-thor-majestic-25ft/7650608832.html

1999 four winds by thor - $16,500 (citrus heights)
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d/west-sacramento-1999-four-winds-by-thor/7646450619.html

1989 Ford Chinook 18ft - $8,500 (Sacramento)
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d/north-highlands-1989-ford-chinook-18ft/7644264980.html
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:13 pm

Cudedog wrote:
OregonLuvr wrote:I

PS. Thanks again for showing me around inside, that very first time we met!!

Anne

Ha Ha I was pretty sure you weren't an axe murderer LOL I felt pretty safe LOL that was a fun GTG.

I must have looked at 100 rigs before I found "THE ONE for me". Laura was always helping by looking also. I would go up to Portland and she and I would go checking them out. Her Mom even came a couple of times. When you make a big investment it pays to do your homework. I am sure she thought I would never find one ha ha I had a 30ft Class A Fleetwood Storm, no slides. Was pretty confining living in it so knew I needed something bigger. I like to cook so had to have counter space AND wardrobe space not those silly "shirt closets". They work for camping not for living. The only thing I didnt like about it was the awning. Because I had a third slide in the kitchen the awning went straight out. No work around for that problem tho, It was pretty much useless in the sun. It did keep the rain off me but not the sun.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:39 pm

Anne, thanks for the links to RVs I can check out! Thanks all for the thoughts on the slides. I guess it is a personal preference for most. My concern is the extra weight affecting already poor gas mileage, and possible issues with the slide malfunctioning and ensuing costs for that.

I learned a long time ago (probably on here) to make sure any slides don't block off kitchens, bathrooms, etc when they are pulled in. There are some I see now that have a bedroom slide and the bed has to be folded up and over when the slide is in, making it unusable. I am not a fan of that idea.

I pretty much know what I want as far as layout, furniture, storage, and size (23-25 ft Class C) but know I will have to compromise on some things. I have to have a bed in the back. Not gonna sleep on the couch full-time or try to get up and down from the upper bunk. Decor can be changed but I really don't like the dark wood and/or black furniture in some of them. Many have the U-shaped dinettes. They are OK but I don't like the rounded corner cushions because I would like to be able to lean back/lay across along the back side of the dinette (like a couch) and the curved cushions don't work too well for that. I would remove the table and just use my folding TV tables to eat on.

Lots to consider!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby chalet05 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:46 pm

My slides had hand cranks in case there was a problem except the last camper. Back slide was remote control, blocked the door and I hadn't realized it had no crank!

Only problem I ever had with a slide was on the 5th wheel. Again, one more thing that can go wrong, but if it makes living more comfortable just have a repair fund incase.
Anita
chalet05

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:39 pm

Barbie there are so many things that can go wrong with an RV, new or used. I bought mine new and had a slideout problem. Pinched wire in the wall. If you want a slide get one, if you want levelers get them. I will tell you aftermarket are not nearly as good so make sure you have your wish list, compromise list, and a maintenance fund.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Colliemom » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:55 pm

One important thing to keep in mind. If you decide to go with a slide is to be sure that you get access to your kitchen, or the bathroom or other things when slide is in. It’s something that a lot of people don’t think about and then they find out that they can’t get to something because the slide is in the way, Sometimes, if you are just stopping for an overnight, you might not want to bother to put it out, that’s why watching to make sure that you can get to things when it’s in is important. I have found with two trailers, having slides that sometimes when the weather gets kind of chilly, they don’t stay as warm as those don’t have slides. There’s always some air leaking in around the seals.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby snowball » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:30 pm

you know that all I've had is the 5th wheel... I have 3 slides on it... my husband was very leery about getting slides but we did and it to me made all the difference... I know it's a matter of personal preference if I were you I would go in some with and some with out and see what makes you feel better... I haven't had problems with the slides that I know of for sure.... when I moved in with my mom it was suppose to be just for the summer when it became evident that I wouldn't be going to Q that winter... my son in law moved the trailer he had to put in the slides and told me that he had problems doing so ... do I have problems perhaps but also I was the one that always did it you know push the button after I made sure the way was all clear... did son in law do so hmmm I kinda doubt it the vacuum was where I don't store it for travel it (resides in the toilet room so it doesn't move about) it looks like it is caught in the slide by the kitchen... however just in case when it's opened it is going to be where I plan on being for a period of time sil thinks it will come out just not sure if they will go in.... so if I am where I am going to be then I can have my friendly mechanic come and check it out and do some of the maintenance on them and we will see what we see... I personally wouldn't want to be without them oh and a electric awning I so wish we had gotten one but Larry felt like we didn't need to spend the extra money on it.... I can't put it out due to height restrictions :lol: :lol:
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:17 pm

I would not buy an RV without a slide or two. This is especially true when you full-time. Mostly, it makes your space feel more like an apartment and less like living in a narrow vehicle. Without a slide, you will be constantly bumping into things as you walk back and forth. Especially with two cats, it will give all three of you more space to be comfortable in.

One thing to help prevent problems with slides is to make sure nothing ever gets under them--like plastic can lids, storage container lids, cat toys, etc. These can cause the rollers or mechanism to jam. Also, when you are looking at vehicles, ask how you can see under them to make sure the space is clear.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Next

Return to General Talk