Slides or no slides??

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Slides or no slides??

Postby Cougarfan » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:18 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Many have the U-shaped dinettes. They are OK but I don't like the rounded corner cushions because I would like to be able to lean back/lay across along the back side of the dinette (like a couch) and the curved cushions don't work too well for that.

You can always remove the back cushions from a U-shape dinette (you could put them in your storage unit) and just add a bunch of cute throw pillows. That way, you wouldn't have the corner cushions. You could still use the seat cushions and a few of the throw pillows (at the head and foot of the dinette) if you have a visitor and you need to make it into a bed.

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:17 am

No slide.

They're worrisome. I was always crossing my finger whenever I pressed the button to bring it in or out. The slide on the camper I bought last year went bad and I went from Pennsylvania to Indiana without using it.

At the manufacture's rally last September, they looked at it and sent me to the factory for 2 days. One campground later, pushing IN put it out, and OUT brought it in. The connection arched. One campground after that, the slide went bad again.

I would only go back to having a slide if I become a snowbird. Six months in two places. Moving often is alot of wear and tear on slides, plus extra worry for you if a "what if" scenario happens.

Some slides do have a manual way to deploy them or bring them in (a rod used from the outside or access through a panel on the inside on the slide motor itself that a still can be used), but you'd still need help.

Having extra room is a plus but it doesn't outweigh the headaches if something goes wrong. You could wait months to get into a dealer and mobile techs aren't equipped to actually fix them (my opinion) but they can at least help get it in if needed.

Unless you're planning on spending more time in the camper, instead of being outside, sightseeing, enjoying weather, etc, you may only be inside to make dinner and sleep.

I find I'm not bumping into anything, and the dog is only in the way if I open the refrigerator cuz he wants cheese. ;)

Something else to think about... sounds like you're looking for a class C. I was also when I first started looking. Not finding a Floorplan that I liked was a problem, but what made me settle on a trailer is:
No insurance for 2 vehicles
No maitenance (oil changes etc) on 2 vehicles
Having a truck that can pretty much go anywhere

Just somethings to think about based on my personal experience.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Wow! Lots of great opinions!

My thoughts: the extra weight of a slide will cut down some on gas mileage or take away how much weight I can carry in the RV. The maintenance to keep it working well. The extra time to put them out and take them in. Making sure I have room to open them when I park (no trees in the way, etc). The plus side, is having more room for me and the kitties. I would have to make sure tho that if the slide is in, the RV is still functional and comfortable in case I can't open it for some reason.

I know, like everything else, they could work great with no problems, or could be a big headache. I think I will just look for something I really like and if what I find has a slide or not, it won't be a deal breaker either way.

I have done the trailer thing and due to my back and shoulder issues, it isn't a good option for me now. I also was worried sick while driving about towing it and having it whiplash if I had to swerve for something in the road, etc. Also with the cats, it would be better with a Class C to keep them comfortable while driving and not have to transport them back and forth between the tow vehicle and the trailer each time.

I did decide that I will tow a car behind the RV tho, for convenience of sightseeing, etc. I am assuming it will be easier to hitch and unhitch the car vs a trailer. The downside, I know, is not being able to back up, and having to unhook the car before pulling into a campsite. I plan to try and stay parked at one place for a week at a time or more, if possible. Mostly boondocking.

Lots to think about. Pros and cons for everything. Thanks for all your input!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:52 pm

Regarding slides and such things, I just kinda tend to go with "Murphy's Law", which dictates:

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. And when it does go wrong, it will go wrong at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way."

8-) :lol:

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:08 pm

Barbie~~~
Do you know anyone that is pulling a car with either a C ir A?

I'd suggest you ask someone if you can watch them hook it up and unhook it. I watched Eileen and David more than once, and each time they had some problems. Could have been their set up, but wouldn't hurt if you can watch someone do it in person.

Seemed a pain to me and more steps making sure everything is connected and working (ie gear, brakes, lights, etc.)

Videos may only show perfect connecting. I understand about physical limitations, but for me, the jack does all the work. The heaviest thing I have to lift is putting the weight distribution bars on the truck receiver. And that's only a matter of maybe lifting and moving them 3 feet each.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:50 pm

I find hooking up my class c with a toad that can be towed all wheels down pretty dang simple. But if you aren't in level ground to unhook, have a hammer lol. I don't have a lot of strength anymore so I wouldn't go with a tow dolly which, imo, is much more work. But to have my system, unless you have someone who really knows how to install, etc, isn't cheap. Especially because I upgraded the breaking system to basically a plug and play system. But I definitely agree to think about it and consider, if you get a fairly small C, to go for awhile without a toad. I still like to do that. And just can tell you she goes and does most everything without a toad. My first 4 years without cost way less than the extra upkeep, etc, of the car when towing and I really was touring the country at that time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:56 pm

My RV was a class C and I towed my car. Never had any problem with hooking and unhooking. It took about 5 minutes and didn’t require any extra strength.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:46 pm

Another thing about having a Class C and a vehicle to tow is two insurances to pay. I don't know how much insurance on a trailer is but would think it's less than a car.

I have been thinking about getting a vehicle to tow. I found out there are several Facebook groups about towing. One or two have vehicles people are trying to sell but I haven't seen one that is close to me. It is $4,000 to $5,000 to set a vehicle up to tow with the tow bar setup and brakes.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby chalet05 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:25 pm

When I had the just the truck and camper, I had decided I would just rent a car as Judy does if needed. Never needed to in the 2 1/2 years before I got the Sling. Like a slide, you have extra weight.

When we first started full-timing, we had a used Class A and a car Steven didn't want to leave behind. It couldn't be towed so had a tow dolly - not something I'd want on my own. One day he realized he was maintaining 2 vehicles, keeping them washed and waxed, etc. Then there are tags and insurance.

I'd keep it simple to start out.
Anita
chalet05

Previous

Return to General Talk