Hardwood floors

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Hardwood floors

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:51 pm

Anybody have real hardwood floors? (Not the Masonite or vinyl kind) how are you mopping it? They left me a duster but I want to get the dirt off first. Should I get special soap and mop? Feels like a stupid question to me cause I'm so used just a ten x ten vinyl area I could do with a rag on my knees. Lol
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: Hardwood floors

Postby monik7 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:45 pm

Hi Alice. I have real hardwood floors and use Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. You can buy it in a gallon container then transfer it to a spray bottle. I use a mop like the one in this picture that attaches to a pole handle. It can be washed and dried in my washing machine and dryer. Does the trick and the floors that have been in for years look brand new.

I’m so glad you’re getting settled. So sorry about your fall. Be careful and take it easy.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:06 pm

Thank you Sandy, they left me a new one of those too. I found soap above the washer, I will look and see what that is when I go back in. I know it wasn't laundry soap. :-)
avalen

Postby monik7 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:34 pm

I wonder about using soap. I know they say soap is OK for hardwood floors, but I think you’d have to go back and rinse off the soap making extra work and more water possibly getting into grooves. Personally I like going over the floor once with the Bona product and being done. It dries in less than 2 minutes.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:53 pm

I'm gonna look for this Bona product, I like spray and wipe no fuss kind of stuff
avalen

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:47 pm

When i had hardwood floors in my Townhouse, i used Murphys Oil Soap. A little went a long way and i didn't have to rinse it.

I think Swifter also has a hardwood product now too, but I haven't heard of anyone using it.

Sandy's idea sounds good. Easy, peasy.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Pooker » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:13 am

Yup! There are 3 or 4 different brands of hardwood cleaners, but agree the Bona is really good. I like that fabric mop better than my sponge one. Love, love, love the hardwood floors, tho. Wish they were throughout the whole house.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:58 am

My home was built in the 1950's, and still has the original hard wood floors.

I can tell by the tiny nail holes along the perimeter of several of my rooms that there was likely wall-to-wall carpet in those rooms for many years.

The areas of the floor that had been covered with carpet are in pretty good shape, the areas that were uncovered. . . not so much.

When I first moved in several years ago (I couldn't afford to have the floors refinished, I still can't afford it) I used to use Murphy's Oil Soap on the floors, and then rinse.

Now I mostly just use warm water and a soft brush or cloth to clean my floors, which of course means going down on my hands-and-knees, doing a bit of elbow work because I don't use chemicals that will "lift off the dirt". Sometimes I still use the Murphy's, but only very sparingly with a through rinse and cloth wipe dry afterwards.

There have been some studies - and much conjecture - about the seeming increasing incidence of cancers (and Canine Cognitive Dysfunction - Alzheimers for dogs) in our dogs and cats at earlier and earlier ages compared to the onset of these complaints in decades past.

One culprit might be the dry kibble commonly fed to our pets that contains ingredients impossible to identify by the average person just looking at the kibble, and the many chemicals and preservatives that are added to kibble to prolong shelf life (try reading the ingredient list on your bag of kibble if you would like to get a real eye-opener).

Many/most dry kibble brands have an actual shelf life of about twenty years!! Who knew?

The other major culprit is thought to be the ever-increasing number, types and varieties of chemicals and poisons that are used for "cleaning" our homes.

For example, cats and dogs have a constant exposure to anything and everything used on our floors. Direct exposure to the skin of their footpads can cause absorption into the body, the licking of feet (or other parts of the body - many pets spend a fair amount of time lying on the floor) gives any and all chemicals used on the floor a direct oral route into the body. Many of these chemicals are not excreted by the body, but build up over time.

Be sure to read all of the "poison control" information on your average bottle of floor cleaner!

Something to think about.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:07 am

Isn't Murphy's Oil a chemical-free product? I have never used it but heard good things about it.

The two years that my cat Lola was so sick with chronic diarrhea, no one could figure out what was causing it and the meds never worked. I think I finally figured out what the cause was. I am pretty sure it was the air fresheners I was using. Of course I used even more of it when she started with the diarrhea because of the smell. Once I figured that out, I stopped using it and she got back to normal! It was trial and error and a lot of wasted time and money spent but was so glad when she got better! I am sure she was glad too!

For my floors, I use the Bona too. So easy to spray and wipe. WM has it with their cleaning supplies.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:12 pm

Barbara, yes , of course even Murphy Oil is a chemical it's all a matter of how much and what the chemicals are. Dose and frequency as well. Even water (H2O) is a chemical. A 9 year old nearly died recently from drinking 9 bottles of water in a hour- he "washed" out too much sodium and potassium and other electrolytes from his body! He was hospitalized over night as they gave iv with electrolytes to avoid death. Fortunately he is ok. That all said, there are safe chemicals and dangerous chemicals. I use water on my floors because that is what manufacturer specified on boxes it came in. I avoid any scented products in my house, for my animals and ESP for me as they aggravate my asthma. Mel used to fill his palm with water, add a few drops cologne, and apply to his face and neck. I could smell it from the bedroom as he applied it! I'm that sensitive! Our animals can't tell us something is harming them, so we have to be vigilant.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:13 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Isn't Murphy's Oil a chemical-free product? I have never used it but heard good things about it.

Chemical free? Not so much. :( .

"Naturally Derived"? Hrm.

Definition of "naturally derived": "Plant, mineral, microbe or animal materials made with minimal processing".
https://www.honest.com/ingredient-glossary/naturally-derived-ingredients#:~:text=According%20to%20our%20definition%2C%20naturally,be%20adapted%20to%20provide%20performance

Many microbes, animal materials, plants and minerals are inherently toxic. Doesn't say that on the label, of course.

(Thank you for your insight, Velda)

Since the label says "no rinsing required" (and most people don't rinse it) there will be residue build-up over time.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:54 pm

I can't even pronounce some of the chemicals in this one.

The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby monik7 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:10 pm

I’m sure anything you buy off the shelf is going to have some ingredients you can’t pronounce. When I saw the Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner ingredients and that it had the following certification, I felt OK using it.

Also, different products for different uses will have different ingredients - i.e. a cleaner (like the one I use) as opposed to a polish (like the one Anne mentioned). It all comes down to what you’re comfortable with. There’s always plain water if that suits you.

Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monik7

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:45 pm

I don't recommend using any polishes of any kind on wood surfaces. You end up having to sand it all down eventually to get all the layers off.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Colliemom » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Murphy’s Oil Soap is good too. Made for wood floors, cabinets, vinyl floors etc. it’s my go to for just about anything in the house. Smells so good. Doesn’t need rinsing either. I add it to a pail of water and wash away. I’m still one of those people who get down on my knees to wash my floors. Cheryl, Swifter does have a product for wood floors. The lady whom I bought this house from, used it on the kitchen laminate flooring, and I found walking in my socks on that floor, extremely slippery. I won’t use it because of that.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Next

Return to General Talk