Hardwood floors

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Hardwood floors

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:18 pm

I have all hardwood floors that were original to the house and I don't use polish for cleaning. I use vinegar and water for the most part.
I think there is more information out now and some products are safer but I was chemically poisoned when I worked in the Art Department at a University in the mid nineties and my life changed forever. Fortunately I realized what it was and what caused it, the system also knew and I was allowed to work from home but never received any monetary compensation. I was pretty much house bound for 3 years because of it and I still have to avoid some places and certain aisles in the grocery stores. But as a result they moved those classes to a different building that had better ventilation and enforced the EPA rules. In the past the printmaking instructor had relabeled or taken home the really dangerous chemicals. So at least I like to think some lives were saved. All the people who worked for many years in the building I was in have died from or had cancer or Parkinson disease. I have been lucky so far that the sensitives issues seem to have got me out in time.

I think the public has become more aware but I cringe when I see the latest air freshener made especially for dogs that claims it is safe. Well, the aerosol product that disperses it isn't. So please, read labels and if you have unexplained headaches, loose your voice or have respiratory or other issues check labels! Use no or low VOC paint especially inside. Avoid fragrances when possible including perfume. Rug cleaners and yard sprays particularly can be extremely toxic especially for dogs and children. My basic cleaning products are vinegar and water in spray bottles, vinegar in washing machine rinse water instead of fabric softeners and baking soda to clean sinks, stove and other places one would use a powered cleaner. All are also inexpensive.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:54 pm

I totally agree with vinegar and water. And totally agree about how dangerous most of the products on the market are vi cringe with Febreeze and Swiffer products. Oh they were using Swiffer on the wood floors at the motel two years ago. The floors were being damaged by them. Switched everything to vinegar and water and it took awhile, but got the floors back in shape. Who knows what the new manager this year was using but after he was let go Nichol called me to ask how I turned it around last year because they were a problem again. She's got them back under control. Read labels!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:50 pm

Sorry, everyone. I'm on a roll. Read on at your peril. 8-) :lol:

Thanks for posting, BJ.

I agree with all you say 100%. I have some chemical sensitivities - but nothing nearly so severe as yours. What happened to your ex-coworkers is tragic, if not criminal - and avoidable.

Thank you.

Bethers wrote:I totally agree with vinegar and water. And totally agree about how dangerous most of the products on the market are vi cringe with Febreeze and Swiffer products. Oh they were using Swiffer on the wood floors at the motel two years ago. The floors were being damaged by them. Switched everything to vinegar and water and it took awhile, but got the floors back in shape. Who knows what the new manager this year was using but after he was let go Nichol called me to ask how I turned it around last year because they were a problem again. She's got them back under control. Read labels!

Thanks, Beth. "Read Labels" is definitely the gold standard. The hard part is spending wads of time looking up all of the weird chemical names in order to find out exactly what they are, what they do, and any potential health issues (immediate or long-term) that might arise from their use.

I use unscented everything, up to and including laundry detergent. I, too, read labels.
Mostly. :roll: :lol: Long crazy chemical names tend to just put me off, so I don't buy the product.

It always makes me scratch my head when I read on a label that says a product is "safer" or a "safer choice", without the label actually giving any further information or statistics on why it might be "safer".

I always wonder, "safer than what, exactly?".

Any chemical or chemical compound can - accurately and truthfully- be declared "safer" than something else. It just depends on what that particular "something else" might be. There is a lot of really bad stuff out there - your average toxic household chemical might come up smelling like a rose compared to most of these. That doesn't necessarily make the household chemical "safe" - it just makes it "safe-er" than other chemicals it might be compared to.

This discussion reminds me of a young guy that knocked on my front door a couple of years back. Several of my neighbors seemed to be in love with the local exterminator service (their truck seemed to be outside their house at least once a week), and this young guy was wearing their uniform. I could see his exterminator truck parked outside at the curb.

We have house spiders here, that like to weave their webs hanging from the roof eves. I don't mind the spiders too much - I just knock the webs down with a broom or a jet of water from the hose when they get too thick.

This kid wanted to know if I would like him to spray my house (for a fee, of course) to get rid of the spiders. As a "special offer", if I signed up for the monthly service for a year I would get the first month "free". They could also spray around the foundation of my house (to also kill whatever unknown thing was lurking around my foundation), for no extra charge.

I said to him that I didn't want my house or yard sprayed with toxic chemicals - for any reason whatsoever.

He got a big smile on his face, and happily assured me that all of the chemicals that particular exterminator used were (and I quote) "Non-toxic, not poisonous at all. Guaranteed!!"

(The kid was pretty young, and had obviously been well coached. Can you tell?)

I then asked him, "Well, if the chemicals are all so wonderful and non-poisonous, then why do all of the spiders die?"

His smile faded. He had no ready answer.

I just shut the door.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby avalen » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:56 pm

My store carries the Bona and I'm happy with the results. Also sprayed it on my wood finished other stuff and used microfiber clothes to wipe down. Lol, not just for floors !! My glider rocker is gonna get a good cleaning too very soon.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Previous

Return to General Talk